Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Jan 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1204436)   #26
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I wonder why there are 2 from GrandAm, but nobody representing ALMS? Or TransAm?
This is just a wild stab: But mabye because the prototype ALMS guys are mostly Euros that fly in for the ALMS races and arn't based in the US as such?

Oh and there is the part that ALMS is the Thorn in Grandam's side yadda yadda or flip it round etc etc

But I've said it once, and i'll say it again. The only thing that the IROC ever prooved was that Geoff Brabham and Martin Brundle are better than the lot of you put together But it'd be good if the IROC can get to the point where people will rememer IROC race's as the best in their career like Brabham does.

Last edited by Hazza; 19 Jan 2005 at 07:06.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 07:20 (Ref:1204441)   #27
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be interesting to see what the schedule is like - I sure wouldn't mind seeing a road course included (the Glen in particular).
Old 19 Jan 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1204444)   #28
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
This is just a wild stab: But mabye because the prototype ALMS guys are mostly Euros that fly in for the ALMS races and arn't based in the US as such?
To some extent that could perhaps be the case, yeah, although I think scheduling conflicts is a more likely culprit.

Last edited by rustyfan; 19 Jan 2005 at 07:26.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1205210)   #29
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
On the flip side of that coin, there was some concern there would be no CC as well - why invite the champion of a defunct series?

I tend to agree with the view that there is a sort of "Institutional Paranoia" here that seems to encourage some to search for the insult/slight when there is not one. The IROC people, legitimately had concerns over scheduling.

You have to admit last year's schedule was still written in sponge at this point and I also seem to recall a last-ditch court appearance to finalize that the three Amigos could indeed by the remains of The Series Formerly Known as CART. Why schedule and announce Mr. Tracy only to find that he could not compete in all of the events? This is not a wedding, it is a made-for-TV racing event billed as a shootout of top talent. Doesn't do much good to advertise Top Talent that won't be there.

I see what you're saying....but surely Tracy would've earned a seat from his perfomances in 2003, ie he became champion in 2003 so he gets to join all the 2003 champions in the 2004 series.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfan
Just have some faith in the man, rather than coming up with excuses already for his potential lack of results
Yeah, that was a little "glass half empty" I suppose......who won Las Vegas after all!
Old 20 Jan 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1205293)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
But keep in mind that this so-called "Race of Champions" includes many drivers - particularly from NASCAR, who have never won a Championship.

Ed Lynch, Jr. won the Sprint Car championship at Lernerville this year (he was, I beleive, undefeated) and so far as I am concerned he should be in as well!

Seriously, this almost an infomercial. If these guys want some experience on ovals than they should race in ARCA or something.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1205308)   #31
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
But keep in mind that this so-called "Race of Champions" includes many drivers - particularly from NASCAR, who have never won a Championship.
While that has been true quite a number of years in the past (with drivers like Jimmie Johnson having raced in IROC), it isn't this year. Just look at the list of NASCAR drivers;

Matt Kenseth - NASCAR Nextel Cup (2004 Crown Royal IROC champion)
Kurt Busch - NASCAR Nextel Cup (2004 Series champion)
Mark Martin - NASCAR Nextel Cup (4-time Crown Royal IROC champion)
Bobby Hamilton NASCAR - Craftsman Truck (2004 Series champion)
Martin Truex Jr. - NASCAR Busch Series (2004 Series champion)

Of the five NASCAR drivers included, four are 2004 Champions, while Martin is the most successful IROC driver ever and certainly could deserve a spot for that reason.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1205655)   #32
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the fact that Martin isn't champion is a travesty...