Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Aug 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3999044)   #176
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Stewards decided to let him off as he's Scottish.

Or something like that.
Aye. Wee Jimmie Krankie would ha' closed the border and locked up all the English BTCC personnel in Edinburgh Castle's dungeon if they'd nicked his win.

To be fair he had the pace over the Hyundai, knows the circuit like the back of his own hand and would ha' had it anyway.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 18:28 (Ref:3999045)   #177
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the video back frame-by-frame it doesn't look like the start was jumped anyway.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:05 (Ref:3999051)   #178
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
when you have such a limiting track like this with the draconic contact rules added and with fragile toe linkage that's what you get

back in the BTC/ S2000 era you have a lot of racing even at knockhill like the legendary 2006 race 2
Or - when you have such closely matched cars and clean racing, we manage to avoid BTCC becoming a demolition derby.

Is one race from 14 years ago legendary because it so rarely happens?

Fragile toe linkage - what would you prefer to be the weakest point on the car? Something more expensive or difficult to replace, or part of the crash structure?
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3999054)   #179
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
maybe they should reallow push to pass, it's bcoming boring and sterille
No thanks - It's much better without Plato
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:16 (Ref:3999056)   #180
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Given the damage to the chassis, I wonder if PMR are now pondering the wisdom of renting the ride out. That is not going to polish out with some T-Cut, going to need some of Willie Poole's magic I should think.
Not sure what difference it makes. Exactly the same thing could have happened with Plato or Jackson in the car.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3999058)   #181
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Glad they did not change the result
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3999065)   #182
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Fragile toe linkage - what would you prefer to be the weakest point on the car? Something more expensive or difficult to replace, or part of the crash structure?
something which allows what Tingram and Sutton did thios race on regular basis, robbing side by side , it's miracle nothing got broken....
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3999072)   #183
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He's wasted to he honest. Drive round, win everything, making it look way way easier than it is whilst hopefully attracting the eye of a team owner higher up the motor sport food chain.

He dominates in the same way Ayrton Senna did.
And Cammish did in PCCGB, yet he's not exactly dominated in the senior series, has he? He's good, but there are other drivers just as good.

King needs to move up, sure, but he also needs to recognise that he'll meet his limit at some point.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3999075)   #184
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's taken me while to catch up on today's footage. Decent weekend, if a few too many bumps causing delays/SCs over the course of the day. The Ginetta races were brilliant though.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3999086)   #185
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of King, I'm curious whether he'll follow a GT path or a touring car one. He's a great talent though, that's for sure.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 20:19 (Ref:3999091)   #186
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Speaking of King, I'm curious whether he'll follow a GT path or a touring car one. He's a great talent though, that's for sure.
I'm sitting here watching tonight's IndyCar race and wondered if he'd have a shot at that, but... he's young and therefore his career path so far is relatively short and (until this year) all with Ginetta. I think he'll have a solid career in GT racing myself, in a Pro/Am partnership.

I've been wrong before, mind you.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3999101)   #187
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure how he'd stack up against current ridiculously good young pros in british gt. impressed with how well he speaks on tv as well in the live post-race interviews, porsche must have fallen over themselves to sign him up.

on another note, i was a bit worried watching bits of that final mini race. it felt a bit chaotic, and not in a good way. lots of stupid unnecessary things happening that are going to cost folk a lot of money.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:18 (Ref:3999111)   #188
porsche962fan
Veteran

the standings, if TOCA doesn't do penalties for RWD it looks like a 2 horse race

Turks 182
Sutton 172

Butcher 139
Oliphant 130
Cammish 125
Tingram 123

Manufacturers and teams standings looks like WSR cannot lose those
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:24 (Ref:3999112)   #189
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Sutton has got some epic traction there out of slower corners, the Q50 isnt really that great in a straight line, but it seems to put the power down very well. Question is, will Thruxton show it up a little, as there arent that many traction zones there.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:28 (Ref:3999115)   #190
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
the standings, if TOCA doesn't do penalties for RWD it looks like a 2 horse race

Turks 182
Sutton 172

Butcher 139
Oliphant 130
Cammish 125
Tingram 123

And people were worried that Jordan going would be an issue. Oliphant has stepped his game up this year definitely.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3999116)   #191
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
something which allows what Tingram and Sutton did thios race on regular basis, robbing side by side , it's miracle nothing got broken....
So what you're saying is what they have works?
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:34 (Ref:3999117)   #192
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

Turks 182
Sutton 172

Butcher 139
Oliphant 130
Cammish 125
Tingram 123

If it was a 2 horse race between two FWD cars would it be a problem?
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:52 (Ref:3999125)   #193
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If it was a 2 horse race between two FWD cars would it be a problem?
not if there wouldn't be any competent RWD teams/ drivers but here we do have plenty of top notch FWD talent which isn't anywhere , best example Tingram and Cammish
Old 30 Aug 2020, 22:21 (Ref:3999129)   #194
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm sitting here watching tonight's IndyCar race and wondered if he'd have a shot at that, but... he's young and therefore his career path so far is relatively short and (until this year) all with Ginetta. I think he'll have a solid career in GT racing myself, in a Pro/Am partnership.

I've been wrong before, mind you.
IndyCar would be good but I'd also say he's most likely to have a GT career. Maybe even in a Pro category. But somehow I'd like to see him making a Cammish-like switch to touring cars but a bit earlier.

When it comes to current BTCC standings, I'm far from claiming it a two-horse battle now. Still quite a number of rounds left, some not really favourable tracks and possibly conditions for Turks and Ash, so it could be way open.
Personally I wouldn't mind if it was all between these two but BTCC is surprising quite often. But still, for now, I'm not trying to make it all about RWD v FWD thing. Turkington and Sutton have had a great start to the season and they happen to drive RWD cars, end of the story.
Is Cammish or Tingram a bit back just because of having a FWD machinery? I don't think so. Especially Cammish seems a bit disappointing this season. Look at Butcher for example. He's in a FWD car and quite often he's faster than Cammish.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 22:26 (Ref:3999130)   #195
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
not if there wouldn't be any competent RWD teams/ drivers but here we do have plenty of top notch FWD talent which isn't anywhere , best example Tingram and Cammish
Who both have fallen short of taking the title to date.

Whereas the 2-horse race is between former champions who are arguably the best 2 drivers on the grid.

Two drivers of the highest calibre, driving cars that were designed and built by two of the best teams in the business, that were designed with those drivers in mind. If they weren't leading the championship, something would be wrong. The fact that they are both in RWD cars is a coincidence.

If it was too loaded in favour of RWD, then surely Moffat, Jelley and Boardley would be higher up the standings?

I don't recall the same claims made against FWD cars in the early stages of 2018, when only two of the top ten cars were RWD.....
Old 30 Aug 2020, 23:14 (Ref:3999133)   #196
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FWD cars have been rather inconsistent so far this year which I think is the biggest reason for the points gap being what it is.

The Toyota, Ford and Honda are all fast cars but they've all had mechanical issues which has cost them a lot of points,

I suspect Thruxton will give us a different order.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 06:54 (Ref:3999154)   #197
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
The FWD cars have been rather inconsistent so far this year which I think is the biggest reason for the points gap being what it is.

The Toyota, Ford and Honda are all fast cars but they've all had mechanical issues which has cost them a lot of points,

I suspect Thruxton will give us a different order.
Why? Don't forget Jordan won 2 races there last year
Old 31 Aug 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3999156)   #198
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR18 View Post
The track temperature is likely to be a lot lower for one factor.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3999164)   #199
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR18 View Post
That was at the start of the year, the second Thruxton 2019 weekend should be more representative of what we can expect I would imagine with ballast, boost etc
Old 31 Aug 2020, 08:55 (Ref:3999165)   #200
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great action in all three BTCC races.

Ash and Colin are a class act at the moment. Their different styles will be fascinating to watch in the title battle.

Butcher trying a similar move on Hill that he did last year to Colin didn't end too well for him in R2. But a great drive in R3 shows he can still be a threat in the title. Just so glad he didn't get a penalty in R3, it was bad enough we had the threat of the win hanging over him during the race. Although it would have been ironic after inheriting a win at Oulton

Good drives this weekend by Hill, Moffat and Proctor. Also good to see Boardley up there amongst there amongst the minor points placings too

Josh Cook, what does he have to do? He's only a piece of luck is that he hasn't caught a certain disease. And what a shame Bushell leaves with no points. If he's not back, it will be a shame

Great drive by Harry King in the Porsches. And the Minis really seemed to get out of hand, the BTCC probably sets a better example atm