Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Aug 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3122947)   #1
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knockhill - Rounds 19, 20, 21

Oh well, I expected pullouts and we've got them!

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=3113

That's a joke. Why commit to a series and then pick and choose what you want to do? Always get shortchanged up here, always. At least it's not frontrunning cars, as that would be a big shame.

Yours,
Angry of Scotland
Old 22 Aug 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3123019)   #2
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a joke, too. Sure, it's a long way to go to Scotland and it costs money. But honestly, UK isn't that large. Just as an example, the STCC teams where as high up as in Östersund in northern Sweden, and now less than 2 weeks later they are going all the way south to Denmark.

If the Knockhill round would have been south (think of like northern France, but still in the UK), it would have been all different. It's always such a big fuss about going north, and it's the same in Sweden even if Östersund managed to get decent grids for being 2012.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3123029)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't forget that the distance also plays a part in attracting sponsors/guests too. Not many of them will be prepared to take a plane trip to a BTCC event. It's not just the distance though. Knockhill is tight, twisty and short and has a history for incurring a lot of damage... particularly if it's wet. If I was on a tight budget it would be the one I'd consider missing too.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3123042)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's hardly a surprise that Gilham isn't there though. Holland is in the second of his agreed meetings, and Thorney themselves had already withdrawn the car - it was a bonus to see Gilham in the seat at Snetterton.

Aside from extra fuel to drive north, what additional costs are incurred over a meeting at somewhere like Croft?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3123052)   #5
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the race of attrition most BTCC races seem to be these days, we'll be lucky to see five cars making it to the finish in each race!
Old 22 Aug 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3123056)   #6
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's hardly a surprise that Gilham isn't there though. Holland is in the second of his agreed meetings, and Thorney themselves had already withdrawn the car - it was a bonus to see Gilham in the seat at Snetterton.
I know, it's RAR and AmD I'm disappointed in.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3123068)   #7
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it does get very annoying when teams decide to avoid Knockhill, but I'm surprised the BTCC does not make a trip to Wales as well, it would be nice to balance things out.

Still, coming to Scotland would be nice.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3123082)   #8
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to come to Knockhill, indeed I'd love to be able to afford drive my own car but sadly the budget isnt there. Such is the business of racing in the UK, people want to see it, will pay to see it but if the people that spectators want to see cant actually afford to go there is a breakdown in the system somewhere.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3123086)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Yeah it does get very annoying when teams decide to avoid Knockhill, but I'm surprised the BTCC does not make a trip to Wales as well, it would be nice to balance things out.

Still, coming to Scotland would be nice.
I'm not sure how things are done for Knockhill, but I know that when the series visited Ireland, Mondello had to stump up a significant amount to cover the travelling costs of the circus.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3123088)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
I would love to come to Knockhill, indeed I'd love to be able to afford drive my own car but sadly the budget isnt there. Such is the business of racing in the UK, people want to see it, will pay to see it but if the people that spectators want to see cant actually afford to go there is a breakdown in the system somewhere.
I think all real touring car fans completely understand your situation John and indeed most of us were just glad to see the car out in Snetterton... and doing quite well there too. Hopefully funds will emerge from somewhere and enable you guys to get back out again before the season's out.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3123091)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
Plus considering that there is not a great deal of money or sponsors around these days in any form of racing helps no one. May things improve swiftly.

Food for thought, if there was another track (not replacing Knockhill) in Scotland that was closer to the borders, would that help with things for teams who can not make the trip to Knockhill while giving the Scottish fans a chance to see them?

(Sorry, I was a little harsh with that last line in the prior post.)
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3123093)   #12
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I know, it's RAR and AmD I'm disappointed in.
I suspect it's not as much the location as that RAR doesn't have enough money right now to run all four weekends and Knockhill's probably the most expensive of the four, so it becomes the sacrificial weekend.

Honestly, I'm thrilled that Rob Austin has gotten on track as much as he has; it looked like he was completely done a couple of months ago.

Steve
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:42 (Ref:3123094)   #13
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm not sure how things are done for Knockhill, but I know that when the series visited Ireland, Mondello had to stump up a significant amount to cover the travelling costs of the circus.
It would be interesting to see the figures for running the BTCC and then break down the travel costs. If travel costs were not the Achilles heel it is to the series then I would like to think the BTCC could spread to all parts of the UK and Ireland.

(Just compared the distance between Croft and Knockhill... It's pretty deceivingly big.)

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 22 Aug 2012 at 16:48.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3123105)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Cleland is there doing demo laps in his old Cavalier. The car may not meet S2000 or NGTC regs but if things get desperate I'm sure Gow will give the car an exemption and allow him to race.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3123114)   #15
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Inside BTCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something else to consider is that Knockhill is one of the tightest circuits on the calendar and - of those left - is the circuit where you are most likely to come away with some hefty damage.

Consider last year and the accident Austin had in race one. Something like that again this year and a large repair bill could finish him for the season.

No team wants to miss a meeting and it won't have been an easy decision for those who are staying at home.

At the same time, good to see Lea Wood's team making the trip having never made it up to Knockhill before.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3123117)   #16
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
It would be interesting to see the figures for running the BTCC and then break down the travel costs. If travel costs were not the Achilles heel it is to the series then I would like to think the BTCC could spread to all parts of the UK and Ireland.
The only reason they went to Mondello was subsidised ferry travel from Irish Ferries and Holiday In Ireland, hence the number plate logos at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Cleland is there doing demo laps in his old Cavalier. The car may not meet S2000 or NGTC regs but if things get desperate I'm sure Gow will give the car an exemption and allow him to race.
Ah yes, the 1990 car posing as the 1992 machine. That annoys me too.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3123126)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dissapointing but to be expected really, each year without fail there's one or two amiss.

I understand the reasons are budgetary and many elect to give it a miss, but I do honestly believe that there is a belief in UK motorsport that Knockhill is some hell hole that it only ever rains at and is a top of Ben Nevis.

Having been to many UK circuits I wish they were all within 10 minutes of the motorway network like Knockhill is...!

(BTW Craner should it not be Rounds 19, 20, 21??)
Old 22 Aug 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3123127)   #18
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
(BTW Craner should it not be Rounds 19, 20, 21??)
No, I skipped a meeting because it was too far away.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3123130)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well this is only Rounds 4, 5 & 6 for me then?

Which shall I change it to?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3123133)   #20
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Change it to whatever you see fit.

On a more positive note, looking forward to the Minis and Scottish Classics again.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3123139)   #21
600bhppertonne
Rookie

600bhppertonne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside BTCC View Post
Something else to consider is that Knockhill is one of the tightest circuits on the calendar and - of those left - is the circuit where you are most likely to come away with some hefty damage.
I honestly haven't heard so much drivel in a long while:

Circuits tightness and damage - been racing there of an on for 6 years, no damage infact the only person i saw going off with any serious damage was our freind in the orange Lambo a couple of years ago and he done it a few times. Cadwell - Thruxton - Brands, they all have there fair share of cars going off but its racing and drivers should adapt, knockhill isn't any worse than the rest in fact i would say since the improvements of the track over the winter its better with regards to run off

Costs - If you can afford to run in the BTCC you should be able to attend the Knockhill round, i travel around the uk to events and live 3 hours north of the border. It surely is just diesel that's the extra cost, i don't even care if it isn't, the only 'away' round being knockhill and you get competitors giving it the elbow.

I experienced this in some other clubs that had to travel to CROFT, living in the central part of the uk even within 100 miles of this area (milton keynes etc) you have pretty good access to most of the English circuits, where most of them lived, and one trip to Croft per year and it was a big bummer.

In Crofts case, the circuit needs support the club/ DDMC and the track, same with Knockhill not having the same circumstance as Croft, but these big events should support them. Ok there are costs but tracks where money is made should essentially be able indirectly subsidize those who dont earn the top dollar.

Nuff said
Old 22 Aug 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3123140)   #22
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I understand the reasons are budgetary and many elect to give it a miss, but I do honestly believe that there is a belief in UK motorsport that Knockhill is some hell hole that it only ever rains at and is a top of Ben Nevis.
Just a spectator here, but to be fair the only reason I've never been before is the distance, I know from talking to friends that in terms of getting to the circuit itself it's one of the better venues! You have to admit there is usually at least a fair chance of rain though... (and it's looking reasonably likely this weekend, though more showery than anything else on Sunday at least).

That said, it's a circuit I've been promising myself I'd travel to at some point and with it being a bank holiday weekend this year I'm heading north, and really looking forward to it.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3123142)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600bhppertonne View Post
I experienced this in some other clubs that had to travel to CROFT, living in the central part of the uk even within 100 miles of this area (milton keynes etc) you have pretty good access to most of the English circuits, where most of them lived, and one trip to Croft per year and it was a big bummer.

I've heard Cadwell being moaned about as too far north!! I've just spent 7 hours travelling south to here pal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Just a spectator here, but to be fair the only reason I've never been before is the distance, I know from talking to friends that in terms of getting to the circuit itself it's one of the better venues! You have to admit there is usually at least a fair chance of rain though... (and it's looking reasonably likely this weekend, though more showery than anything else on Sunday at least).

That said, it's a circuit I've been promising myself I'd travel to at some point and with it being a bank holiday weekend this year I'm heading north, and really looking forward to it.
I still would like to see rainfall records for Knockhill and see how they compare to the rest of the UK, bet you it'd surprise a few people..
Old 22 Aug 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3123147)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
No, I skipped a meeting because it was too far away.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3123155)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600bhppertonne View Post
I honestly haven't heard so much drivel in a long while:

Circuits tightness and damage - been racing there of an on for 6 years, no damage infact the only person i saw going off with any serious damage was our freind in the orange Lambo a couple of years ago and he done it a few times. Cadwell - Thruxton - Brands, they all have there fair share of cars going off but its racing and drivers should adapt, knockhill isn't any worse than the rest in fact i would say since the improvements of the track over the winter its better with regards to run off
I've heard a number of people, not just those in the BTCC, mention that the configuration of Knockhill lent itself to an increased risk of incidents and damage. I've not examined the stats, so I don't know whether it's true or false, but if drivers are saying that... and teams are not making the trip there, it's reasonable to consider it as a factor for not going.