Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 13 Oct 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1737302)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSA - Giving marshals more voice

Press release from the MSA today:

MSA launches initiatives to give marshals more voice

The Motor Sports Association, governing body of UK motor sport, has announced a series of initiatives to ensure that the 13,000 registered marshals and volunteer officials have a stronger voice in the development of the sport.

In 2007, under the existing Training Steering Group, the MSA will create the Marshals Working Group and the Volunteers in Motorsport Working Group. These sub-committees will be responsible for bringing issues affecting marshals and volunteer officials to the legislative process, particularly pertaining to recruitment, retention, training and working conditions.

It has also been proposed that marshals' interests should be better represented on the Motor Sports Council and in this respect specific responsibility will be taken on by Nicky Moffitt, Chairman of the Regional Committee.

In addition, the hugely respected Barry 'Whizzo' Williams - President of the British Motorsport Marshals Club - will join the Race Committee from the start of 2007, bringing his wealth of experience to the table with regard to circuit racing.

Colin Hilton, Chief Executive of the Motor Sports Association, says:

"Volunteer officials and marshals are essential to the sport and the falling numbers have been identified as one of the most serious issues facing the future development of the sport. In recognition of this we launched the MSA Volunteers in Motorsport programme last year and this has not only helped to halt the decline but has also led directly to an increase of more than 500 registered marshals in its first year.

"We have now looked at the structure of the sport to make sure that the marshalling community is well represented on our committees and these changes should ensure that they have a stronger voice in the legislative process. We believe that this is a significant step forward and is recognition of the important role of marshals and volunteer officials in the sport."

These proposals will be taken to the Motor Sports Council for approval at its next meeting in February 2007, after which time the make up of the sub-committees will be finalised.

Release MSA06-051: 13 October 2006
Old 13 Oct 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1737407)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's Nicky Moffitt?
Is he one of us?
Wouldn't we be better off having Chris or George speaking for us?

Not critisisms - but I don't know Mr Moffitt.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1737432)   #3
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
keeping marshals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Who's Nicky Moffitt?
Is he one of us?
Wouldn't we be better off having Chris or George speaking for us?

Not critisisms - but I don't know Mr Moffitt.
i agree who is he only marshaled 23 years and never heard of Nicky Moffit. IF we want to keep marshals why not just do what marshals want.
1 finish at 18.00 hrs in case of very bad accidents 18.30.
2 A lunch break that gives every marshal time to get back to paddock for a lunch and brew, time to go to the loo, 1 hour of post at large circuits 0.45 at small ones. THIS DOSE NOT MEAN LAST PRACTICE FINISH 12.30 FIRST RACE START 13.30.
3 A club that will back this up to the hilt and not back down and give in,

if this happens we might just get marshals to continue instead of giving up. might even do more meeting myself. but untill this happens NOT A CAT IN HELLS CHANCE. WE DO NOT NEED GROUPS OF BODYS TALKING. WE WANT ACTION NOW
Old 13 Oct 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1737435)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick dickens
WE WANT ACTION NOW

*Mick slips away to finish his placard for his march on Motorsports House*
Old 13 Oct 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1737437)   #5
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
*Mick slips away to finish his placard for his march on Motorsports House*
WRONG STILL EAR
Old 13 Oct 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1737465)   #6
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

"... and as 333 squadron of the newly-formed Flying Pigs Formation Team fly into the sunset to the tune of the Damnbusters March, over the massed ranks of nearly 500 virgin marshals, we leave this hallowed scene of fraternal fantasy and return you to the studio. This is Hugh Jampton, on top of St Pauls, MSA headquarters, London ..."
Old 14 Oct 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1737518)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Who's Nicky Moffitt?
Is he one of us?
Mark the answer to "is he one of us?" is probably (in that he cares about motorsport)
A quick google and a long read would indicate that he's Irish, a rally lover and a commitee man.
Will he be a good rep for marshals - lets give him a chance.

Given that MSA HQs primary concern about marshal numbers/conditions appeared to be with the rally fraternity, I would hazard a guess that circuit marshal's conditions of service would be left to the club or Circuit owner organizing the racing (remember BCE @ the Syd lecture) . That however is because it seems that very few car clubs gave the MSA data about marshal numbers / conditions to work with. And some strange data in that AMOC seemed to have more marshals than BMMC!!

Perhaps the reason for a rally man then eh?

BTW - anybody noticed the introduction of"The marshals welfare programme"? should have been introduced last month according to
page 59 of "The national motorsports training programme" that came out in Dec 04
http://www.motorsportdevelopment.co.uk/document_js.cfm
hella good read at 3am pfft!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1737627)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
And some strange data in that AMOC seemed to have more marshals than BMMC!!
Ah! Someone else who's suddenly discovered that the AMOC are their primary Club, according to their MSA Registration Card!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1737670)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nicky Moffitt is a MSA Race Steward as well and has stewarded (correct word?!) at at least one meeting I've been at. He seems a nice chap and had a sensible approach to the running of the meeting.

I agree though, if it is a voice for marshals it would be helpful for marshals to have the abilityto input more directly to the committee/sub committee - I hope that is what is being referred to by the reference to the make up of the sub committee being finalised.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1737780)   #10
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I notice in the new grading system that the classes will be Trainee (same as now) Grade 1 (Green?) Grade 2 (Red?). What's Grade 3? or is it I/O?
Or is this Rally grading not race grading?
Old 14 Oct 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1737787)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
I notice in the new grading system that the classes will be Trainee (same as now) Grade 1 (Green?) Grade 2 (Red?). What's Grade 3? or is it I/O?
Or is this Rally grading not race grading?
It's rally grading. See page 48 for the race 'Roles & Responsibilities'. I hope that isn't the proposed grading scheme - note that there appear to be no separate incident & IO grades, just Flag/Incident Marshal & Flag/Incident Officer. Stuff that - I ain't flagging! I suspect that it may just be intended to illustrate levels of experience, rather than actual grades. All will be revealed when the training & grading scheme is relaunched in September....2005!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1737869)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think you will find that George or Chris will also be on at least one of the committee's so our voices will be heard I assure you.

It is not only the VIM initiative that has led to the new recruits, the BMMC and BARc have also been very hard at wotk to help the situation (as have one or two other clubs).

Overal though let's not forget that whoever has been responsible, we DO have 500 new marshals and that can't be a bad thing.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 18:43 (Ref:1737894)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Overal though let's not forget that whoever has been responsible, we DO have 500 new marshals and that can't be a bad thing.
Defined how Stephen? I note the MSA release says "registered", I'm interested in how that's counted - people who have shown an interest? Those who've shown up at a circuit? I'm not knocking the efforts at all, anything that is done to help numbers is fantastic - I'd love to think we had an additional 500 bodies on the bank, pitlane and startline, I just wonder if that's what we have got?
Old 14 Oct 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1737902)   #14
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green

Do we actually have 500 New Marshals, Steve?
Or, 500 people have taken an interest, a brochure and left their names!!!!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1737954)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
The MSA say we have 13,000 registered officials and marshals - I can't believe non of them seem to live either in Lincolnshire (For Cadwell) or Llanelli (For Pembrey)!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1737985)   #16
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
Nice to see new marshals but what's the point of topping up the bucket without plugging the holes in the bottom first?
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1737992)   #17
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like everyone else, I'm sceptical that things will change significantly, but let's at least give the MSA a chance before we slag off what they're trying to do. Maybe they'll listen, maybe they wont, but at least they maybe making an effort. Some people just want to be negative about any initiative it seems. I know I've been around long enough to know better but I'm willing to see what develops before being critical.

Dave, your promise to keep away from flags warms my heart. You cause enough trouble as an I.O., let alone being let loose with the washing!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1738024)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
Nice to see new marshals but what's the point of topping up the bucket without plugging the holes in the bottom first?
I can assure you we are doing our very best to stop that too!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1738183)   #19
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Kermit Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I'm in my first year of marshalling, here's my view, for what it's worth, on arriving into marshalling.

First off, I had often watched marshals at work on race coverage, thought "that looks interesting" but just assumed it would be some sort of over-subscribed club which you wouldn't be able to get into unless you could trace your family lineage straight back to the Bentley Boys.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought that, and in my view, this is probably the biggest myth to dispel.

Once I did find out I would be more than welcome, the MGCC made it very easy for me to turn up and have a go, and I've been back for more since.

Here I think is the second crucial point. I don't think it matters what the clubs or the MSA do at that point, since far more important for me was simply to enjoy myself on the day! Without exception the people I've been on post with have been open, welcoming and willing to share their own knowledge of what's going on. This was absolutely vital on a less than interesting post at Thruxton, since with not a single need to move onto the track all day, it was great to have people to talk to!

What am I saying there? I'm OK, as I'll merrily wander into any conversation, but for someone a little less confident, I would imagine the fact that everyone else on post seems to have known each other for years, it might be quite daunting. Some sort of mentor for the first couple of meets would be useful.

Finally, the lunch break! Someone made the point to me at the MGCC meet at Brands that they were an exception in insisting on a lunch break for marshals, and not to get used to it. They also advised a packed lunch and a folding chair so that even a 20 minute break would result in food and a sit down! On the one day I forgot the packed lunch, the 25 minute break was a disaster. On the other days, I've been perfectly happy with a short break to munch down some sandwiches before the next race. Make sure people know what to expect in reality, and are prepared for it, and I personally don't have a problem. At the end of the day, I'm there to see the racing as much as the next man!

Maybe I haven't seen enough of the problems yet to see a need for major change, but after 5 meetings, the only thing that is causing me major frustration is the wait until next year's timetables come out, and I can book up for more!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1738798)   #20
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talking of registrations and being counted etc...I've been marshalling for 4 years, am a red badge and never even had a sniff of an MSA licence. Maybe my fault for not chasing it up, but how many others are there like me and how many of the at 500 are people who were like me and have finally got their licences?
Old 16 Oct 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1738952)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Want one of Grant's? He has 2.....

Which leads to the question - are they talking licences or names? Grant has his incident licence but he also has a rescue licence. I'm sure he's not the only person with multiple licences.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1739003)   #22
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.

Re: numbers of club marshals. I'm in BARC and BMMC. Does that mean there's two of me God help us.

And marshals don't quit. They don't 'deregister' they just decide to attend less until they realise they haven't been out for two years. So the figures for active marshals could be anything. Indeed what defines active?

But commitees HAVE to work with the best numbers they can, and there are so many different clubs organising their own marshals without any national structure.

I suppose the notion of having just one national marshals organisation (like racesafe?) and dispensing with club marshals altogther would last less than five minutes because a club subscription from a marshal is worth just as much as a driver's, and I don't think any club is flush with money at the moment. Does anyone know if 'one organisation' was proposed at any time and what the argument was?

And re Paul Newns post. I agree. My natural skepticism towards committees of all kinds does not take away my genuine admiration of those who, in their own time, take on board the onorus task of holding a candle against the dark. Quite right Paul. I shall eat humble pie next Sunday instead of pork.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1739159)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think you will find that the figures quoted (500) are for completely new marshals, not for those with multiple licences. If you don't currently hold a licence (Chezza) but are an existing marshal, then it is my understanding that you wouldn't be included in the figures.

No6 the figures wouldn't include those of us who are registered with several clubs.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1739178)   #24
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And am I right in thinking that those of us who marshal speed events as opposed to race meetings, being not registered with MSA (and thus unable to get 'The Marshal') don't count in any of the figures? There's plenty of us - but not enough of course
Old 16 Oct 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1739276)   #25
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your MSA card has a unique 'licence' number so presumably that is what is counted, as the cards show all clubs you are registered as a marshal with (4 on mine!!)