Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Apr 2004, 16:00 (Ref:949171)   #1
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rennsport Reunion Daytona photos

There are some photos up from today at Rennsport reunion Daytona. This is a rather large field.

edit:
http://www.lmsr.net/rphoto1.html
http://www.lmsr.net/rphoto2.html
http://www.lmsr.net/rphoto3.html
http://www.lmsr.net/rphoto4.html
check your PM's please.

Last edited by paul-collins; 23 Apr 2004 at 16:17.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 16:06 (Ref:949175)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talk about awesome! I'd be drooling all day if I was there. What a field! Was that the Dunlop/Shell 962 I saw?!! And a 911-GT1! Can-Am cars! 917's!!
Old 23 Apr 2004, 17:03 (Ref:949226)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*falls for chair*

Wow.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 18:13 (Ref:949302)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Wow!!!
Old 23 Apr 2004, 22:14 (Ref:949547)   #5
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mod has ordered that I simply indicate that more photos will follow on Michael's site.

He is taking the red-eye to France and should land in three hours.
Therefore more photos should be up from Rennsport (the copyright is exclusive to his site and no "cut and paste" accusations should apply.)

Although any sites wishing to apply for permission to publish can always e-mail the ghost site and not simply post a link
Old 23 Apr 2004, 23:04 (Ref:949575)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I am just back from day one at Rennsport, trying to catch up now on all the goings on with LM PQ.

Not one, but two Shell/Dunlop 962's. Torno, Blaupunkt, Miller Beer, New Man 956. Oh, 904's, 906's, 907's, 908's, 917's (one on track today), the 917/10 Brumos car, the 917/30 looking far too restored. The are 911's of every iteration all over the place. RSR's, the RSR Turbo from LeMans '74. Factory RSR's with the wide tail. There is Martini Livery all over the place. There are Spyders and Speedsters, and RS's and RSK's. There are 600 race cars there I heard! They have spilled out of the garage areas and take up a good portion of the infield.

Since I won't be at Le Mans, I found my own heaven!!!!!
Old 24 Apr 2004, 04:52 (Ref:949770)   #7
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racingfanatics.com/Martin...ion_ii_day.htm Has some good pics also.

Last edited by paul-collins; 24 Apr 2004 at 23:36.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 10:20 (Ref:949886)   #8
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very impressive, very nice...
Old 24 Apr 2004, 23:11 (Ref:950467)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
All three Shell/Dunlop cars are there. Yes, the entire team! There were parade laps earlier today and the three went out and ran nose to tail. Several of the 917's went out, plus loads of others. Just beyond being real!
Old 24 Apr 2004, 23:33 (Ref:950483)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
http://www.racingfanatics.com/Martin...ion_ii_day.htm Has some good pics also.
I would expect no less from Martin Spetz, as he's quite intimate with various Porsche clubs. Excellent stuff... Looking forward to tonight's upload.

Last edited by paul-collins; 24 Apr 2004 at 23:37.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Apr 2004, 00:22 (Ref:950504)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Otto Mathé's Gmünd 356 is still around.

Also, why is it I get all sentimental when I see the "ÖSTERREICH" 908s?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 00:29 (Ref:950509)   #12
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what kind of times the GT-1 was pulling if it was out at all?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 00:47 (Ref:950523)   #13
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
The GT1 did parade laps only, and I don't expect that it will race but do more parade laps on Sunday.

The whole experience is making me wildly sentinmental. Lots of these cars I saw over the years at Daytona, Sebring and Watkings Glen. Others I know from books, magazines, etc of my mispent youth.

The Mathe Gmund (now owned by Jerry Seinfeld) looks to be in original condition, and is rather 'used' looking. The factory has one, with the wheel spats, that is 'perfect.'

HugeWally, as Martin Spetz is know here, does awesome work. I waited a long time to see his Sebring picks, and it was worth the wait. The Rennsport photos so far have been awesome too.

I am going to the next Rennsport no matter where it is, too great an experience to miss!
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:28 (Ref:950563)   #14
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was really hoping to see that car run at speed. I really wanted to see what a real car would do around Daytona.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 03:18 (Ref:950574)   #15
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
956's and 962's are out in the Group 4 races and the fastest are about 4 seconds faster then the Daytona Prototypes. Mind you, that is with drivers who for the most part are not pros, and also probably aren't pushing too hard-given that replacing a 962 would not be easy....

The Brumos Fabcar DP is there, and largely ignored by the crowds. And there are crowds! The place was packed today, and Sunday I am sure will be the same, as the weather will be clear and it will be a day of races, with more parades at midday. The garage areas are open to all the fans on the grounds, all the cars are viewable at close up range, and everyone in the place is wearing a huge grin!
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:03 (Ref:950602)   #16
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I would expect no less from Martin Spetz, as he's quite intimate with various Porsche clubs. Excellent stuff... Looking forward to tonight's upload.
Where is that humble-blushing smilie?????? Many thanks for the kind words PC & Skycafe...

Slow or late in getting more photos up as I reached sensory overload. Hope to have some more up on Sunday. Was there for the first 3 days (Thur-Sat). Took tons of pics, saw many legendary Porsche drivers (Ickx, Linge, Gurney, Attwood, Klauhsen, Bell, Elford, Redman, Minter, Buzzetta, etc). And the cars... OHMIGAWD the cars!!! At least one of each type raced and then some. Even the Interscope Indy car!

It's a good thing this only happens every three years as I don't think my heart could take it every year! LOL

My biggest mistake of the weekend... I forgot to bring my new copy of the 24 hours of Daytona book for autographs!!!

Martin

Last edited by Hugewally; 25 Apr 2004 at 05:07.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 17:12 (Ref:951239)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by skycafe
The Mathe Gmund (now owned by Jerry Seinfeld) looks to be in original condition, and is rather 'used' looking.
Good thing, too - they could have restored it to death. This car has a long history, why not let it show.

As an aside, Otto Mathé owned both this car, #052, the last 356 built in Gmünd before the factory moved to Stuttgart, and #001, a cabriolet. He raced this car from 1952 to 1956, and also used it to tow the trailer when he raced his other cars, the VW Typ 64 Berlin-Rome Special (although initially he just drove that to the races), and later his self-designed "tin can" monoposto (with "clip-on" full bodywork for sportscar races).

Sometimes he competed in several races per meeting - road course, hillclimb, dirt track, everything - and used this car alternately with the racecar that had come on the trailer.

The collection of cars and boats he had in his home would have made for a nice museum but alas, noone cared. This country's loss is Mr. Seinfeld's gain I guess.

The Tyrolean registration plate T2.222 was initially used for the Type 64, but it seems he swapped them around so whenever the 356 was used as "support vehicle" it carried T1.415 (in Austria, the registration plate does not stay with the car but with the owner) until the 64 was retired and T2.222 stayed on the 356 permanently - to this day, I am glad to see.

http://www.mathy.de/english/mathe.html

Last edited by cybersdorf; 25 Apr 2004 at 17:12.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 00:00 (Ref:951607)   #18
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
WOW! Very cool. There was a brief history on the intercom at the track, but frankly I don't remember hearing the name before. If he owned #001, then that car was also at Daytona, now owned by Porsche.

Daytona had as much silver paint as Le Mans this weekend!!!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:18 (Ref:952014)   #19
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
More shots up at http://www.racingfanatics.com/Martin...OME%20PAGE.htm

Martin
Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:21 (Ref:952228)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice work if you can get it.

Was the Joest car the only 936?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:33 (Ref:952241)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by skycafe
If he owned #001, then that car was also at Daytona, now owned by Porsche.
Also, I see #052 has been reverted to left-hand drive (Mathé had had the car modified to RHD configuration).

The 936 is my all-time favourite racing Porsche. It is remarkable that this model seems to be held in such low regard, considering the success it had.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 19:29 (Ref:952654)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
There was only the one 936 that I recall--there was a real sense of overload to the weekend. It looked great in Jules livery

To Martin Spetz: you do great work man, I have directed several people to see it. I may be looking to pick up some photos from you dependant on my results. And the brake disk photo over in Photo and Art forum is really cool!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 02:22 (Ref:953037)   #23
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Nice work if you can get it.

Was the Joest car the only 936?
Credentials were very limited to this event and I felt honored to be part of it. I was himbled while watching to two different black studio set ups that were going on during the event. Cars would roll in, lights were adjusted and the photog would click away. Once satisfied, the next car would roll in. My understanding is there is to be a coffee table type book published about the event. Must be nice to have all those cars lined up for your studio!

The 936 was the only one there. Shame as it was a good car to carry on the fight. Cybers, like you I don't get it either.

martin
Old 27 Apr 2004, 06:56 (Ref:953132)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugewally
The 936 was the only one there. Shame as it was a good car to carry on the fight.
There are only 5 of them (three works-built, one still int pre-'78 config. I believe; and the Joest- and Kremer-built cars). So sheer numbers would suggest there is less of a chance of seeing one out there than a 908 or a 917. But then, a 917/30 was present, too.

To me, the 936 is the direct successor of the 917/30, and the best "value for money" racecar Porsche has ever built.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 27 Apr 2004 at 06:59.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:28 (Ref:953469)   #25
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
But then, a 917/30 was present, too.
And that one was chassis #4 that has never been raced!

Martin