Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: How Many Times Have You Been to the 24 Heures?
Never 8 10.67%
1 2 2.67%
2 5 6.67%
3 3 4.00%
4 2 2.67%
5 5 6.67%
6-10 16 21.33%
11-15 7 9.33%
16-20 9 12.00%
More than 20 Times 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 May 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2459519)   #26
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finances and a desire to go to the Classic next year, however, as someone else is paying for my services and the site is closer to the Start/pits than I've been so far I couldnt refuse and instantly started to get ready(that was in early Feb).

My reluctance was down to location and having to endure the "Chav" element when walking to the circuit. Not only that but the fact that last year I watched the finish from the Pit wall was a pinnacle for me not likely to be repeated.
I would however love to spend my Saturday and Sunday in the company of fellow enthusiasts and not on my own as has been the case.
Old 11 May 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2459745)   #27
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just 1 of many more to come hopefully

Ciao Marco
Old 11 May 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2459830)   #28
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is quite an interesting poll.........I know it's not very scientific, but there's a clear indication of which eras have caught the imagination of a generation of sportscar fans.

There's a lull in the race's ability to attract new fans during the 90's. Lots of us started attending in the 80's (an era never to be repeated?), very few in the 90's, then renewed interest from '99 onwards.

This follows my own pattern of attendance. I attended my first race in 1974 with my dad, returned with a group of mates in the 80's and was hooked until the beginning of the 90's. I then took a 'sabbatical' and followed rallycross during the 90's before returning in '99 (for the Mercedes aerobatic display team).
Old 11 May 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2459835)   #29
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
First time was 1984 and missed two in the late eighties so this year is 24 however 2 classics and just returned from second spa.
Old 11 May 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2459874)   #30
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
16 times for me this year included ( great memories of all races ) debut year was 1991 when Mazda won.
Old 11 May 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2460236)   #31
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
21st this year! First was 1986 (still in pushchair!) - Missed two due to GCSE's and A'levels...
Taking four LM virgins in our group of 8 this year...
Old 11 May 2009, 17:41 (Ref:2460305)   #32
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'83 was my first on a Page and Moy trip with a friend, well and truly got the bug then even though I didn't enjoy the coach trip.

Missed a few while racing karts myself seemed more important ! However I must be around the 20 mark by now. The Porsche vs Jag vs Sauber Merc years are still my favourite.
Old 11 May 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2460313)   #33
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have voted for 11-15 as I first went in 1997 and returned every year since.

Also been to Le Mans for 2 or 3 pre-qualifying/practice days, 2 Classics and one Le Mans (Endurance) Series events.

Anyone else been to the city for any unusual races? I keep seeing the Vingt Quatre Heures Camion (Je suis le Camionosaurus!) listed on the placemats at the Legends Café which I imagine would be spectacular.
Old 11 May 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2460317)   #34
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
There's a lull in the race's ability to attract new fans during the 90's. Lots of us started attending in the 80's (an era never to be repeated?), very few in the 90's, then renewed interest from '99 onwards.
As mentioned just above, our group first went in 1997, this coincided with us all getting jobs after uni and having money for away days to motor racing events.

I'd say that the GT1 regs around that year (and for 2 or 3 years later) with plenty of manufacturer entries was one of the strongest Le Mans for a good period of time. I think the expansion of the internet in the years since has encouraged a lot of new attendees (for good or ill) rather than the quality of the entry or racing.
Old 11 May 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2460460)   #35
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
As mentioned just above, our group first went in 1997, this coincided with us all getting jobs after uni and having money for away days to motor racing events.

I'd say that the GT1 regs around that year (and for 2 or 3 years later) with plenty of manufacturer entries was one of the strongest Le Mans for a good period of time. I think the expansion of the internet in the years since has encouraged a lot of new attendees (for good or ill) rather than the quality of the entry or racing.
(says in Homer Simpson's voice: ) "Hmmmm,Le Mans '98......."
Old 12 May 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2460853)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's funny how your memory plays tricks on you, isn;t it?

There was I, thinking I had started a good, reasonably original thread......

Deja vu.......

Same Idea - 2001!
Old 12 May 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2460857)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting too how there were only 16 responses when we've had 38 already on this 'poll' - mind you, the 2001 thread was 'out of season' in October!
Old 12 May 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2460864)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Interesting too how there were only 16 responses when we've had 38 already on this 'poll' - mind you, the 2001 thread was 'out of season' in October!
I for one did not even know about Ten-tenths in 2001
Old 12 May 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2460933)   #39
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
haha Le Mans virgin here. 2009 1st one and hopefully ill be back for more( Hopefully not bymyself either)
Old 12 May 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2461003)   #40
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
10 times for me, probably closer to 15 if you count test days.

KDRb...who is in no way connected to kdr - the sort of fellow who would lose his password he's used since first posting in 2002, and would be unable to request it be sent to him again as he was registered with an email address that is long gone, i mean who would be soooo stupid...not me...
Old 12 May 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2461012)   #41
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the "b" = bis?
Old 12 May 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2461041)   #42
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Is the "b" = bis?

I thought it seemed rather apt...
Old 12 May 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2461045)   #43
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
This year will be 26 years since I first went and in that time I have been 21 times. I missed a few in the early '90's when I got married and went back a few years when I started ignoring her complaints!!
Old 12 May 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2461073)   #44
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
hoppelemine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 Years straight '01-'05. Haven't had the chance to make it since and now that I've moved to Florida from England it going to be a while longer. Sebring 12hr is my substitute now. Great race but sadly is nothing compared Le Mans.
Old 13 May 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2461895)   #45
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
haha Le Mans virgin here. 2009 1st one and hopefully ill be back for more( Hopefully not bymyself either)
Welcome in La Sarthe.
You won't sleep during your first LM race, believe us !
Old 13 May 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2461919)   #46
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year will be my 13th, but not consecutive.

Debut was in '82, missed '83, back in '84 then '85, '86, '87 & '88. Then a massive gap until I returned in 2003 with my (then) 12 year old son, been back every year since as has Dan so he'll be on his seventh this year.
Old 14 May 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2462364)   #47
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Virgin at the event. I have been TRYING to get there for 39 years!

Do I get points for the longest wait?

I went to the Classic last year, and loved it. Minime is still jealous I've stood in LM pitlane, when he hasn't!

At least I got a pair of 917s howling out of Tertre Rouge at dawn. A 39 year old wet dream.
Old 14 May 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2462375)   #48
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fourth for me -- not consecutive, as two weeks in Europe every year from the Wet Coast of North America is just not financially possible. Well, not possible if I want to stay married and have my house not fall down around my ears.

But you're right. It's an experience. I got serious shivers the first time I stood at the forward flag station watching the cars accelerate toward me over the humps of Les Hunaudieres, and I knew I'd be back. Somehow, some way I'd come up with the cash. I just don't understand people who go once and say "OK, I've ticked that off the bucket list". Even when fighting for the last bag of ice at the Super U or waiting in line for the showers at Bleu Nord...

Last year I couldn't go, and in fact had to work the whole weekend. I smuggled a set of earphones into work and figured out a way to make our firewalled-and-crippled-within-an-inch-of-its-life computer network accept the RLM feed. By tucking the wires under my shirt and only having one earbud in I could keep up with "my world" while nominally working.
keke
Old 14 May 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2462495)   #49
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Virgin at the event. I have been TRYING to get there for 39 years!
Trying ..... obviously not hard enough mate !!!
Old 15 May 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2462861)   #50
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I got divorced 10 years back, which cured one problem, only to get into rock climbing, which added a bigger obstacle.
This year I actually have time, and money... Woohoo!