Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Jun 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2473727)   #51
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
If it rains, I don't need to queue for showers!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 04:11 (Ref:2473791)   #52
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
You mean 1971, 222km/h with Marco and Van Lennep ?
Last year, the average speed was at 230 km/h before midnight. After the pace car it felt to 225, and came back to 226 km/h before the rain came.

The record can be broken, but depending on the new restrictions.
Yep ..... I ment the Martini 917 ..... screwed up the years though !!!

The new restrictions are aimed to slow the cars down ..... but I will believe that when I see it .

I cant see too much differance to be honest , as the cars get quicker every year ..... I would think they might be on a par with last year .
Old 2 Jun 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2473846)   #53
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
The new restrictions are aimed to slow the cars down ..... but I will believe that when I see it .

I cant see too much differance to be honest , as the cars get quicker every year ..... I would think they might be on a par with last year .[/QUOTE]

Motor Sport, July edition, shows a photo of the current Peugeot with the old Group C car. The front of the 908 can't be seen and the caption states that Peugeot asked the photographer not to show the front because it would show the splitter...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw last year's qualifying times beaten, and, IF it stays dry and IF there are minimal pace car interventions and IF there's still a race going on well into Sunday afternoon, then yes, we could see the all-time distance rtecord broken.

The fact that the track has changed makes no difference. I seem to recall that the winning Jag came within one lap of beating the distance record back in 1990. Despite the slower track, it's possible in 2009.

And, yes, I know we've gone a little off topic!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2473853)   #54
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I'll say it........I'm beginning to get a bit nervous as we approach race week, in view of the current downtrend on the various forecasts!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2473876)   #55
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have two freezer drawers full of ziplock bags of frozen tap water with which to cool my Le Mans beers, it had better be beer drinking weather.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2473904)   #56
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Ok, I'll say it........I'm beginning to get a bit nervous as we approach race week, in view of the current downtrend on the various forecasts!
Why is that Mr.B ?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2473972)   #57
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Top tip? Gas bottles cool as you use the gas in them... Charles Law.

Place the bottle in a large bucket of water. Improvised camping fridge. It really does work.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2474123)   #58
The Badger
Veteran

Cheers Tim ..... might give that a bash if our 4 fridges bail out !!!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2474176)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Careful James, just because you're the pit visit organiser doesn't give you free rein for heretical comments.......
Old 2 Jun 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2474264)   #60
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of LM weather....I like the look of this weather site, I think this can go in my favourites !

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...048?dp=htempdp

Let's keep those fingers crossed .
Old 2 Jun 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2474269)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lots of 'partly cloudy(ies)' in the run up through the week. But then again, if it's partly cloudy, it's also partly sunny!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2474275)   #62
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Yes it gives you the impression that they are not really sure yet ! Still the temps look quite promising.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2474281)   #63
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the moment we are sunny with some small clouds. Fingers crossed to get that in eleven days ( only ? but still too much).
Old 3 Jun 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2474450)   #64
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Careful James, just because you're the pit visit organiser doesn't give you free rein for heretical comments.......
Heretical comments apart, I'm more concerned about the Wednesday and Thursday than I am for the race itself. The teams desperately need track time this year. A 2007 style wasshout (well, Thursday, at least) would throw everyone's race preparations into complete turmoil. The implications for the race itself, under those circumstances, would not be good.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2474484)   #65
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I can tell the weather is pretty much random across all of the weather sites, and changes everyday!

I just look at them all and take the best one

I'm hoping for a dry week though, especially for the drive down from Calais first thing on Thursday (11th).
Old 3 Jun 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2474659)   #66
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Rain on Sunday???

Ayse? Got yer wellies?
Old 3 Jun 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2474680)   #67
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Every day the weather reports change so lets wait and see closer to the date before we start to panic. Weather predictions are notoriously inaccurate and I am sure Mr M Fish has a French cousin who can give him a run for his money on wildly innacurate forcasts.

As far as I am concerned it WILL BE SUNNY AND WARM.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2474692)   #68
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post

... Mr M Fish has a French cousin ...
That'll be Monsieur M. Poisson then
Old 3 Jun 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2474721)   #69
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Heretical comments apart, I'm more concerned about the Wednesday and Thursday than I am for the race itself. The teams desperately need track time this year. A 2007 style wasshout (well, Thursday, at least) would throw everyone's race preparations into complete turmoil. The implications for the race itself, under those circumstances, would not be good.
Why do you think that, Bentley? I'd think a wet (or wet-dry) practice or qualifying would put a sufficient monkey-wrench in the machinery to place some of the expected "hot" teams at the back, which makes for some interesting racing. Certainly more work for the blue flaggers! Or am I missing something?
keke
Old 3 Jun 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2474787)   #70
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Why do you think that, Bentley? I'd think a wet (or wet-dry) practice or qualifying would put a sufficient monkey-wrench in the machinery to place some of the expected "hot" teams at the back, which makes for some interesting racing. Certainly more work for the blue flaggers! Or am I missing something?
keke
I simply want to see the teams as well prepared for the race as possible. This is 'The Big One', not just another race. Test Day was cancelled and if Wednesday and/or Thursday are washouts, the teams will have precious little time to prepare. I really don't want to see cars set up at Le Mans based almost entirely on guesstimates. Don't forget, 2008 data has very little relevance due to the 2009 reg changes. And, if the 'hot' teams suffer, I guarantee the less 'hot' teams will suffer even more in the long run, regardless of any qualifying anomalies, the status quo would quickly be restored in the race proper.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2474815)   #71
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Well the 'good' forecast that I found yesterday has changed, they give light rain for Weds & Thurs now, cloudy on Friday :

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...048?dp=htempdp

This should help all the teams during practice and Qual , in enabling them to nail wet and dry set ups (that's if the light rain is substantial enough to wet the circuit). It certainly should help the Pugs after their problems during the night in the rain last year. I quite fancy the #9 car to press the Audis over the full distance after seeing the driver line ups today.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2474827)   #72
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

The most recent forecasts say "sunny"/23°C on saturday, and an astonishing 30°C (!) on sunday... Ayse's gonna fry !
Old 3 Jun 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2474828)   #73
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
keke
They wouldnt take long to carve up through the field . How about make all the diesels start at the back !!!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2474840)   #74
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
The most recent forecasts say "sunny"/23°C on saturday, and an astonishing 30°C (!) on sunday... Ayse's gonna fry !
Where did you notice this (not the fact that Ayse can burn with enthusiasm) ?

Agate shows r*** on saturday, sun on sunday. La chaîne météo shows exactly the opposite !
Old 3 Jun 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2474862)   #75
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I see is in the middle, somewhat. Rain at the beginning of the week slowing to showers for the free practice Wed. evening, then nothing until Sun. when showers are to come back. From here. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115841

L.P.