Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 May 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2683976)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Magic of Moto2

I said at round 1 we should have a thread for this new class, so here goes.

Loved 250 as a class but we were lucky if we had 4 bikes in the leading group, normally just 2 or 3 by the end. Moto2 - WOW! First 9 covered by 3 seconds on sunday. Round 1 was a good race but Round2 was epic. Over 40 bikes on the grid, half of the riders have won at 125, 250 or Moto GP level. And yet the clean sheet of paper has allowed such as Tomizawa to lead the championship after winning R1 and coming second on Sunday after one season of 250's. Or even better Kenny Noyes, 31 years of age, never ridden a 2 stroke with a background of American dirt-track and Spanish supersports, gets a chance to have a GP career at this late stage and rewards his team by basically leading half of Sundays race and puling of suicidal overtakes, that had me jumping out of the seat, egging him on.

But the class of the field for me is Tony Elias - absolutely battered after a big pre-season crash when Dorna bizzarely let the Moto2s test with the 125s and Toni caught a 2 stroke at the wrong place, he shrugged off his injuries to take pole at R1, fading to 5th (I think) because his body was just too battered. However having learned the lesson of not letting the leader get away as happened with Tomizawa at R1 he was the centre of everything on Sunday. First of all he was caught up in the 9 man pile up at the first attempt to run the race, being hit by two bikes and then falling flat on his face (and injuries) when he ran to get his bike. He then was at the centre of everything in the restarted race, showed his absolute class at the end in a real dog fight against a pack of desperados, timed it to perfection after spending the mid part of the race encouraging people to follow him to not let the leader escape like in R1. The genuine joy everyone had for his win was palpable - his team-mate who finished well down (some Russian I believe) almost fell of his bike on the slowdown lap celebrating when Toni told him he'd won. The massive crowd going justifiably nuts, pitlane stood to salute him - even his podium mates were pleased because they knew they had been up against the very best they can measure themselves in the class. Good for Toni for being brave enough to risk his career in the class - he doesnt need to be fighting 125 graduates and assorted axe murderers, he could have gone to WSB for an easier life, but he's putting it on the line in this class and showing the other the standard needed to get to Moto GP.

The other great thing is the chassis variety - 15 different manufacturers, all with the same engine and tyres. Elias on a Moriwaki for instance, Tomizawa on a Suter, Noyes on a Harris (yes them!).

What an amazing class, hats off to Dorna for such an inspired idea, what a season we are in for, especially if De Angelis actually completes a racing lap.... If you missed Sundays race get searching on the web, it was fabulous. And a great, if slightly biased commentry from the Eurosport guys -I hope the Beeb had it on red button with the World feed team of Nick and Gavin for those with Freesat (dont think it was on Freeview - boo!).

I just wanted to hug the TV after that, such was the joy it brought me!!
Old 4 May 2010, 01:56 (Ref:2684027)   #2
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bloody good thing I already saw the race me boy!! (kidding, but am still glad I didnt read the spoilers!!!)

twas great fun wasnt it? Agree wholeheartedly with you on this one, as I imagine most people do. REally great to see such a large field, does make you wonder how reducing some fancy dancy stuff in MotoGP could maybe enlargen the field there too....

ps, thanks for taking the time to write this all down, hope it piques some interest out there with others, as it certainly deserves the interest.
Old 4 May 2010, 06:13 (Ref:2684065)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I compare this new class with Turismo Carrettera ..
http://dasracing.blogspot.com/2010/0...-2-wheels.html

Ciao Marco
Old 4 May 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2684486)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
bloody good thing I already saw the race me boy!! (kidding, but am still glad I didnt read the spoilers!!!)

twas great fun wasnt it? Agree wholeheartedly with you on this one, as I imagine most people do. REally great to see such a large field, does make you wonder how reducing some fancy dancy stuff in MotoGP could maybe enlargen the field there too....

ps, thanks for taking the time to write this all down, hope it piques some interest out there with others, as it certainly deserves the interest.
Amen to reducing the gizmos etc on the works bikes - all the manufacturers should be made to supply 10 teams if necessary
Old 4 May 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2684519)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that whole meeting was superb, but utterly, utterly ruined by the race tv director.

In my views I was watching the end of the races and when Elias and Lorenzo are doing their shenanigans with the crowd the director is showing damn slow motion replays and the bloody points standings!

Fans want the reaction, they want the celebrations, they want to see all this. It's why Rossi is the biggest thing bike racing has ever seen, not just the action but the celebration the inter mingling with the crowd. its the whole deal.

So, we dont want to boring replays and stupid points standings mr idiot director, we want all the good bits, then put all that rubbish up after the podium or during it!!

Dumb people
Old 5 May 2010, 02:47 (Ref:2684597)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
I compare this new class with Turismo Carrettera ..
http://dasracing.blogspot.com/2010/0...-2-wheels.html
thanks for that Dani, was a laugh to watch.
Funny looking cars, made me think of a stretched version of those funny looking prototype thingees that race at Daytona now, with a muscle car like hood scoop thrown in for good measure...
Old 5 May 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2684671)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Fans want the reaction, they want the celebrations, they want to see all this. It's why Rossi is the biggest thing bike racing has ever seen, not just the action but the celebration the inter mingling with the crowd. its the whole deal.
I'm obviously not a "fan", then! All I want to see is the racing. . .
Old 5 May 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2684688)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are the 125's headed towards moto 3 with say 250 4-strokes after the early success of moto 2?
Old 5 May 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2684691)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well to be honest, the reason why peopel like Rossi and Lorenzo are popular is not only their on track results and actions.

t's the off track celebrations, the arrogance, confidence, personality etc. Whether you like it or not it makes these guys far more popular than peopel liek Pedrosa or Stoner.

I dont support any one rider, I appreciate them all. I dont but merchandise or join fan clubs, but I do know what makes people popular.

And cutting all the post race stuff to put up results pages is crass stupidity to me, and even more so is putting up replays!! Dumb beyond the pail!

I realise tv peopel are under tight time lines, but they are Spanish! Their man won!!
Old 5 May 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2684942)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Are the 125's headed towards moto 3 with say 250 4-strokes after the early success of moto 2?
I wouldnt bet against it. However 125 is pretty good as it is, although it would be nice to see some quick Hondas, the return of the KTMs (wasnt there a run being overseen by Bartol?) and maybe the Vespas getting up to speed.

Back to Moto2, I think the likes of Westy, Rolfo and Nieto rebuilding their careers in the class is laudable because it is a real risk. Maybe the Hoff and the yank who kept crashing last year in WSB whose name escapes me, but sued to ride Motogp for Suzuki and Kwak, should think about Moto2. Roger Lee Hayden said he was due to be in the class but got dumped in favour of another rider, he hopes to be in it next season - hopefully he will have learnt the tracks by then on his dog slow WSB bike. Maybe Eugene Laverty or Johnny Rea will give it a go?
Old 5 May 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2684954)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So, we dont want to boring replays and stupid points standings mr idiot director, we want all the good bits, then put all that rubbish up after the podium or during it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I'm obviously not a "fan", then! All I want to see is the racing. . .
Kinda see both ways. I wasn't thrilled with the replay of Lorezno and Pedrosa almost crashing and then missing them almost taking each other out in the final bend heading to the last lap. That was some heated action that was ruined by a replay.

And I agree that it is good for the sport to see the human side. It is what is missing in motorsport these days.
Old 5 May 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2685045)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think to be honest guys liek Crutchlow and Laverty have missed a trick here with Moto2

Redding is looking half decent but should be doing better ina good team, though his deal was very late.

As for West, Rolfo etc. Certainly Robby has a bit of dough to give toa team as does Nieto, so not hard to understadn their rides.

But so far the likes of Pasini, Faubel and Gadea have been a little up and down, and Cluzel, so good in Qatar was over the hill at jerez, I think its goona be like this all year.

There will be races where chaps like di meglio will bere there too, remember he, like Simon, battered the 125 field, class like that doesnt go away.
Old 6 May 2010, 08:01 (Ref:2685191)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its producing close & good racing, but i'm still not convinced this is proper GP racing... spec motors etc... ain't the way to go (especially if, for instance, they think its a good idea for MotoGP some day??)

Quote:
I think to be honest guys liek Crutchlow and Laverty have missed a trick here with Moto2
I recall reading somewhere that Moto2 had been in Crutchlow's gunsights for this year, but Yamaha exercised an option on him and placed him in WSB, supposedly against his original wishes
Old 6 May 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2685232)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
That is an interesting point, might ahve been part of a contract as he was going from BSB to WSS.

I agree though, after time it would be better I think to allow Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki into the engine side. Still using a FIM ECU and stuff but attached to the various motors in the bespoke frames they are using now!

What I would run away from is allowing things like triples and twins as at various times that really made WSS racing in its early days look a bit one makey!!
Old 6 May 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2685423)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see how it's bad to have the lower categories a bit spec. They are afterall the development/feeder series. They are meant to be a stepping stone to Moto GP, and shouldn't be money pits. I would rather see all the diversity in Moto GP.
Old 6 May 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2685576)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

With 14-16 chassis (depending on who you ask) theres plenty of diversity there. Does anyone know if the bikes are roughly the same size as the 250s? And if so could a 600 Honda have been shoe horned into a 250 chassis? Looking at the MZ its just a step up from a CB250 Superdream after all...
Old 10 May 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2687749)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Aspar have dropped RSV and gone with one of Eskil Suters chassis by all accounts. Guess it reflects the pressure his team is under with big sponsors to produce results. Its been a bit of a mess for them really - originally Aprilla were going to supply them chassis, then decided they wouldnt so he went to RSV after testing quite a few. Now gone for the safe bet of a Suter, which I think are the majority chassis if you take the CEV championship into account as well as Moto2.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2705914)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Anyone know whats happening with the RSV chassis now Aspar and the rich Czech kid have dropped them? Do they still race in Spain? I've tried looking for a Spanish site but my command of the language isnt good enough.

Also Jules and Spalders sort of intoned during the weekends commentary that Aspars original choice of Aprilia for Moto2 chassis were going to be based on their 250 chassis - surely thats not right? Maybe for initial testing but surely the demands of a 250 2 stroke are way different to a 600 4 stroke?
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2706164)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spec engines and open chassis design is a great idea. Real racing names like Suter, Moriwaki, RSV and Harris in the Grand Prix paddock. Seeing 20 race winners duking it out with some relative unknowns has been the thrill of the year.

I'm not sure how keen I'd be to join the series for 2011 though - it's so easy to be totally off the pace in such a big championship. Guys like di Meglio, de Angelis, Canepa, Pesek are all nowhere. This is actually a golden opportunity for FGSport to revitalise World Supersport and attract some of those riders and teams.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2706239)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
In fairness De Angelis is mighty quick, just as inconcsistent as ever!

Canepa is hardly world class in my view and Pesek is a one trick pony like most of te Czecj riders, was quick when on the best bike but that only lasted a year!!

Di Meglio had an awesome year but it has sinced been proved that Ajo put together an awesome bike, pretty much anyone on those machines is gonna stand a chance. Even still, he admittedly had disappointed so far, as have Olive, Rolfo and a few others
Old 7 Jun 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2706245)   #21
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's so up and down ... just look at Noyes . pole to 30 something ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jun 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2706247)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yup De Angelis has been on the front row twice, points more to him wringing a mega time out of the bike and it not being so good in the race - plus he is a loon, but he was damned unlucky at Le Mans.

Canepa I agree - I want to like the guy but in reality he is just a good Superstock rider who got the role in Moto GP because he was a good test rider at Ducati.

Di Meglio is being taken to the cleaners by Simon, plus shown up by Cluzel. Is it correct that Cluzels Forward racing team are the old Hayate Kwaka setup?

Gabor is the only former Iron Curtain rider even remotely worth mentioning, whilst Rolfo has appeared around the top ten on occasion and [erhaps may be suffering the team/chassis inconsistencies that De Angelis also has. Well maybe not team for De Angelis as he is in a very good squad.

Olive is a classic journeyman, no?
Old 20 Jun 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2715010)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Moto2 just rendered almost all bike racing obsolete .. I don't know what can be done to improve it

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2716285)   #24
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was a good race, I have to admin to not being a fan of the idea last year, but it's won me over pretty quickly.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 05:38 (Ref:2717213)   #25
djb
Veteran

I guess the thing that is so perplexing is how a race winner canhave such a bad weekend at antoher race, its happened a number of times now hasnt it? guess it comes down to the closeness of teams, and how a mmisjudge of whatever can make such a diff grid wise.