Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2000, 10:01 (Ref:36670)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Say Goodbye to Brands plans for 2002 race... this might take another year to sort out...

Brands Hatch redevelopment application to go to public inquiry
Plans to redevelop Brands Hatch racing circuit in the Metropolitan Green Belt to Grand Prix standards will be considered at a public inquiry.

Announcing this today, Planning Minister, Nick Raynsford, said he had decided to call in the application as it might conflict with national planning policies on the Green Belt, the countryside-including possible impact on the adjoining Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - nature conservation and transport.

The application, by Brands Hatch Leisure Group Ltd, seeks permission to redevelop existing facilities including partial demolition of existing buildings and erection of pit buildings and paddock, media centre and associated helipads and grandstands, alteration to configuration of both the Indy and Grand Prix circuit together with landscaping, highway works and parking. It proposes a new 15,000 seat, 18 tier, grandstand and three temporary grandstands capable of accommodating some 26,000 spectators.

The proposed redevelopment would mean the loss of 14 hectares of existing woodland, much of it ancient woodland.

Brands Hatch Leisure Group Ltd estimate that some 120,000 would attend on race day.

Old 12 Sep 2000, 10:18 (Ref:36673)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Donington it is then!!

By the way, found a reasonably small image of the planned Brands changes...

Although these alterations have been discussed in detail, I've yet to see an image of the plans in the press. I don't think the majority of fans realise what a sizeable job it will be to bring Brands up to what the FIA require.
Old 12 Sep 2000, 11:18 (Ref:36691)   #3
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did they put in that weird corner at what at the moment is Hawthorn bend???

Why not make it an 90 degree turn? Is it elegal to (re)build a track with out having at least one Mickey Mouse turn these days??

I don't under stand what the want to do to Dingle dell corner either, I know there is not enough run-off at the moment but I get the feeling it is a bit over done in these plans, or is this the part of the track that is close to houses?
Old 12 Sep 2000, 11:36 (Ref:36698)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The plans aren't really to modify the GP circuit - rather to rebuild it totally... They have to get the track away from the houses and build large banking between the 2. Hence Dingle Dell bites the dust and new pits get built... I think it will now take a year to sort this out, which means money will get invested in Donnington - can they afford to send money on both venues to bring them up to scratch???
Old 12 Sep 2000, 12:19 (Ref:36703)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Dan, I've noticed that whoever overlaid the new (red) track missed a couple of points.

The track doesn't turn gently from Surtees to Hawthorns as suggested; If you look, you can see the new track in darker grey underneath turn at a very sharp 90 deg angle.
Same thing when the new track rejoins clearways; there's areal sharp 90 deg there too. Hawthorns will be arrow straight too, BTW!

Whoever coloured it in needs to sharpen his crayons!
Old 12 Sep 2000, 12:26 (Ref:36705)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I think whoevers done the colouring in, wants to hide some of the changes... I saw a drawing of the changes a while ago in Autosport - and it showed the corners, which are (as you say) much tighter than the red line shows... they had to really slow Clearways, as they have no more room to spread out the gravel trap, because they built the Foulston Centre right next to the track!!!

So in other words, it'll be changed from a blast through the trees into yout typical mickey mouse GP venue....
Old 12 Sep 2000, 13:21 (Ref:36720)   #7
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we had this conversation a while ago. Put simply, there isn't, and nor will there ever be, sufficent space at Brands Hatch to build the kind of track that the FIA would be truly happy with. Bernie hates Silverstone, so it's Donnington or nothing.

Which is good. I like Donnington a lot more than either of the other two. It's a lot more accessable, and with a bit of work could be turned into a world-class circuit without becoming flat and boring

And no, we can't hold it at Castle Coombe
Old 12 Sep 2000, 15:02 (Ref:36732)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I think Donnington is the best place!!! Easily..

(Racing's not exciting enough for Combe anyway, and you only get 3 races in 3 days unlike the usual 11 in an afternoon..)
Old 12 Sep 2000, 15:48 (Ref:36736)   #9
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have looked at the map a bit more and I am wondering if it is my bad eyesight or if that pitlane realy is extremly long?

It must be because there is no other way to enter and exit safely on any other part of the track an other reason to skip that wierd thing at Hawthorn bend and turn it in to a 90 degree turn.
Old 12 Sep 2000, 16:12 (Ref:36741)   #10
Sparky
Veteran

No, your eyes do not deceive you, jc_nl. The pits exit lane rejoins the circuit after Hawthorns Chicane. (Sort of like Spa and Silverstone - ie. after the first corner)

When I first heard of the proposed alterations, (I think it was February sometime?) I was sort of excited, 'cos I really like Brands. Now I've had a bit more time to think about it (and carefully study the blueprint I showed Craig, 'Vader and the others at Snetterton) I really think that Brands, as we know it, will become Blands Hatch.
The problem is now, even if The F1 circus doesn't come to town, the plans will eventually go ahead, just in case it ever does. All this will serve to do is ruin a damn fine club circuit, except that entry to spectate at club racing there will be at BTTC price levels!!

I'll now concede that Donington is the place to be.

BTW, can you imagine F1 at Combe!! What a scream!