Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Feb 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3022512)   #151
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
National geographic have just released their list of top ten sporting events.LM 24 got 1st spot!
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...orting-events/
Thats quite amazing for such a high profile general interest publication
Old 7 Feb 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3022539)   #152
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree for me personally its a no brainer but for such a diverse publication to put it at the top was a bit of a shock
Old 7 Feb 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3022579)   #153
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's what I've always known - well, since 1986 anyway! Good on them for ignoring the F1 media hype.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3022614)   #154
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: National Geographic

Just a shame that they couldn't get some of the details correct. "Roughly 46 cars start", and "starts at 4pm" are wrong for a start, although that was the traditional start time, are we stuck at 3pm nowadays?
Old 7 Feb 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3022621)   #155
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, that's true - 3 pm start has been n place for several years now. Still, the sentiment is clearly right!

I notice we also have 'Wimbeldon' at #6.......
Old 7 Feb 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3022635)   #156
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
They also got loads of stuff wrong... Never mind, it's the thought that counts...
I wonder if we'll get more Yanks due to the article?
Old 7 Feb 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3022653)   #157
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I wonder if we'll get more Yanks due to the article?
I hope not, those guys are crazy. Oh wait...

Plus, the track turns right.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3022695)   #158
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh View Post
Just a shame that they couldn't get some of the details correct. "Roughly 46 cars start", and "starts at 4pm" are wrong for a start, although that was the traditional start time, are we stuck at 3pm nowadays?

Clearly they got their information from the ACO - see the thread regarding the Group C practice.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3025178)   #159
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Changing the subject but something to talk about, does anyone know of a website / database where all the pole postion drivers & cars are listed for Le Mans 24 ?? Just curious ...........
Old 13 Feb 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3025182)   #160
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Changing the subject but something to talk about, does anyone know of a website / database where all the pole postion drivers & cars are listed for Le Mans 24 ?? Just curious ...........
Do you know this one:
http://wsrp.ic.cz/

There is lots of data on there, could very well be that the stuff your looking for is also on there.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3025441)   #161
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've always tended to rely on Stefan's Le Mans Register. Not sure about poles though.....

Le Mans Register

Don't be put off by the title at the top of the page though......
Old 15 Feb 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3026239)   #162
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Just watching the documentary about Jaguar's assault on Le Mans 1988 (very good piece of documentary making, has to be said), and there's quite a few interview soundbites from Derek Bell (MBE, yes, just to be official )... is he joking or is he serious when he's talking about not being on speaking terms with Klaus Ludwig after Klaus had run out of fuel early in the race?
Old 15 Feb 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3026281)   #163
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I really don't know, but I think we can safely assume that Derek and Stucky were pretty miffed!
Old 15 Feb 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3026301)   #164
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Just watching the documentary about Jaguar's assault on Le Mans 1988 (very good piece of documentary making, has to be said)
Is this 'Jaguar's Roar'???

Edit: this explanation of Jan Lammers about nearly missing out on Victory is from that documentary, so my guess is yes. I definately need a copy of that film!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9AJbHokymY

Last edited by vincegail; 15 Feb 2012 at 20:27. Reason: Extra info added
Old 15 Feb 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3026309)   #165
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Is this 'Jaguar's Roar'???

Edit: this explanation of Jan Lammers about nearly missing out on Victory is from that documentary, so my guess is yes. I definately need a copy of that film!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9AJbHokymY
Yes it is.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3027892)   #166
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I really don't know, but I think we can safely assume that Derek and Stucky were pretty miffed!
Wouldnt it be the managers call to bring to car in , possibily not Ludwigs call ?
Old 19 Feb 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3027898)   #167
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I assume that was done back then by pit-board? Did they have in-car radio in 88? Anyhow, if you're that thin on gas, surely you know about it?
Old 19 Feb 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3027914)   #168
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Wouldnt it be the managers call to bring to car in , possibily not Ludwigs call ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I assume that was done back then by pit-board? Did they have in-car radio in 88? Anyhow, if you're that thin on gas, surely you know about it?
Well inboard radio didnt stop a certain German Audi driver in a silver an green Audi from running out at Le Mans in 2003!
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3032888)   #169
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirelli sponsors Le Mans 24 Hours Camping Village

Perhaps some could see something deeper into that sponsorship. Maybe, maybe not.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3032924)   #170
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post

Perhaps some could see something deeper into that sponsorship. Maybe, maybe not.
Perhaps they will bring some of their calender girls to take over from the Hawiian Tropic girls
Old 29 Feb 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3033100)   #171
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post

i wonder what this actually means are they paying money to rename the campsites or will the loos have pirelli bog rolls in them
Old 29 Feb 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3033130)   #172
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Perhaps they will bring some of their calender girls to take over from the Hawiian Tropic girls
Uh, i hope it break into a girl fight
Old 3 Mar 2012, 04:29 (Ref:3034322)   #173
msook
Rookie

Canada
msook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As a Canadian marshal who may be going to his first Le Mans this year, does anyone have any advice on what to take? I need some advice, never having been before. I've been told to arrive no later than the Tuesday. Does anyone know where I could find a post map? I'm going to rent a car. I've been told the shifts are two hours on four hours off. Once your car is parked in a campsite, are there shuttle buses or something to take you to the main stands and back to your post?

Thanks,
Old 3 Mar 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3034422)   #174
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
msook, if you check the separate marshals subforum, I suspect you will find a thread there on this sort of thing. We can give mountains of advice for those attending as spectators, but as to marshal's shifts etc. you may want to ask the many other marshals who are members here. Welcome to Tenths!
Old 3 Mar 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3034560)   #175
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by msook View Post
As a Canadian marshal who may be going to his first Le Mans this year, does anyone have any advice on what to take? I need some advice, never having been before. I've been told to arrive no later than the Tuesday. Does anyone know where I could find a post map? I'm going to rent a car. I've been told the shifts are two hours on four hours off. Once your car is parked in a campsite, are there shuttle buses or something to take you to the main stands and back to your post?
Yes, go to the Marshal's Forum for this, and do a search on Le Mans. But in general, you will camp AT the poste -- your commissaire pass comes with a car pass for the poste. The rota is subject to the whim of the chef de poste and there are many different flavours, depending on what he wants.

Enough from me, I'm going back to dreaming about Sebring...
keke