Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2023, 21:09 (Ref:4157315)   #3251
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They used to host an awesome round of MotoGP until they got priced out I believe?

And no way F1 cars could handle the corkscrew right?
Old 21 May 2023, 21:24 (Ref:4157325)   #3252
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
They used to host an awesome round of MotoGP until they got priced out I believe?

And no way F1 cars could handle the corkscrew right?
I wouldn’t describe the Moto GP round at Laguna Seca as “awesome”.
-Worst pit facilities of any round
-Worst circuit safety of any round
-Most low budget organisation e.g. only having 1 class
-With the exception of 1 great Rossi v Stoner battle very processional and spread out racing
Moto GP used to turn a blind eye to all the inadequacies because they were desperate to have a round in the US.As soon as there was another option they got out of there as soon as they could.
Old 23 May 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4157581)   #3253
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as an event i attended in person i thought it was awesome

but indeed from a teams point of view the pit area was not at F1's level of space and/or exclusivity.

personally i liked that the support categories were more of the domestic category variety. and its not like GP2/Formula 2 race at all the same events as F1 does. to each their own of course.

its a great track with some beautiful towns/communities nearby. very nice place to spend a few days to watch some racing...but yeah, F1 isnt going there.

unfortunately, its all about the amenities of Miami's and Las Vegas' type places for the foreseeable future.
Old 24 May 2023, 05:24 (Ref:4157673)   #3254
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Would the major rebuild of the pit and paddock area have any bearing going forward?
Old 25 May 2023, 02:15 (Ref:4157831)   #3255
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
THe current 3 USA races are in the southern states Miami Nevada and Texas

THere could be room for a race to pull crowds from the highly populated northern states. THere is Montreal which is close the the US border, but maybe another inside USA northern area
I could see many New York based, wall street and similar big money companies could spend up big on corporate packages-partnerships and wooing their clients. Especially now the 2 detroit giants forg and gm are looking to getting back in

Michigan street race? Long track From Dearborn Ford Ho to GM in Detroit and back around

Last edited by bathurst77; 25 May 2023 at 02:24.
Old 25 May 2023, 04:09 (Ref:4157833)   #3256
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another thought as to Laguna Seca as an F1 track. I think Laguna Seca is on the short side and I knew FIA has a minimum track length for F1 tracks and wondered if that would be an obstacle. So I checked the regulations and the minimum length for an F1 track is 3.5km. Laguna Seca is 2.238miles or 3.602km. So just slightly within the size limit as to length.

Monaco is 2.074 miles or 3.338km. So it is slightly UNDER the limit (short). But the regulations are written in such a way that existing F1 circuits don't apply. It is more about new circuits. It's also a way to include Monaco, without explicitly call out a "Monaco exception" As you can expect, Monaco gets a bit of a blind eye at times just to keep it on the calendar!

I think everything else on the calendar is within the specified limit.

Richard
Old 25 May 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4157907)   #3257
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
THe current 3 USA races are in the southern states Miami Nevada and Texas

THere could be room for a race to pull crowds from the highly populated northern states. THere is Montreal which is close the the US border, but maybe another inside USA northern area
I could see many New York based, wall street and similar big money companies could spend up big on corporate packages-partnerships and wooing their clients. Especially now the 2 detroit giants forg and gm are looking to getting back in

Michigan street race? Long track From Dearborn Ford Ho to GM in Detroit and back around

Nevada is not a southern state but one of the 11 western states. When Bernie was running things it was hoped there would be a race in the New York area, the Grand Prix of America, on a street circuit in Weehawken, New Jersey. There was a provisional date of June 16, 2013. However it never came to fruition as it was initially postponed and then cancelled due to funding issues.

F1 raced in Detroit from 1982 to 1988, on a street course that encompassed the Renaissance Center, which is where General Motors' headquarters are. It briefly became a CART event from 1989 to 1991 and as of this year IndyCar is going back to Detroit and the Renaissance Center, so potentially there could be a Michigan street race. However that begs the question, Does F1 need another US GP on a street course? Miami has been a disappointment and we have yet to see what the Vegas race will produce. If there were to be another US GP, where would it go the calendar?
Old 25 May 2023, 15:35 (Ref:4157941)   #3258
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix used a 3.5 km course, and the pole position was 53.37 seconds.
Old 25 May 2023, 16:05 (Ref:4157945)   #3259
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Nevada is not a southern state but one of the 11 western states.
Im not American and by southern Im not talking about any historical or socio/political thing, Im talking pure geography and population adjacency. Draw a line along the central latitude of the 48 and the 3 racers are all south of it. In the hotter regions and far from the large population centre in the north especially north east.

Quote:
F1 raced in Detroit from 1982 to 1988, on a street course that encompassed the Renaissance Center, which is where General Motors' headquarters are
Yeh the ford to gm road race was just me being (or trying to be) humourous
Old 25 May 2023, 16:58 (Ref:4157953)   #3260
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Im not American and by southern Im not talking about any historical or socio/political thing, Im talking pure geography and population adjacency. Draw a line along the central latitude of the 48 and the 3 racers are all south of it. In the hotter regions and far from the large population centre in the north especially north east.
Going completely off topic, Nevada is part of the eleven contiguous Western States, which are Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. The 48th latitude is not a determining factor.

Quote:
Yeh the ford to gm road race was just me being (or trying to be) humourous

Going back on topic, I don't see where another US GP would fit on the calendar.
Old 3 Jun 2023, 03:57 (Ref:4159423)   #3261
Eff One
Rookie

Australia
NSW, Australia
Eff One has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What about that street event at New Jersey? Is that ever going to happen?
Old 3 Jun 2023, 07:02 (Ref:4159444)   #3262
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff One View Post
What about that street event at New Jersey? Is that ever going to happen?

No!
Old 3 Jun 2023, 07:17 (Ref:4159449)   #3263
Eff One
Rookie

Australia
NSW, Australia
Eff One has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
No!
Shame. It would have been interesting.
Old 3 Jun 2023, 08:49 (Ref:4159459)   #3264
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff One View Post
Shame. It would have been interesting.

Going from my memory of the time when it was proposed, the the dream of a New Jersey race was driven by Bernie Ecclestone who visualised a GP almost in New York, which he believed would be a fantastic cash cow.

Again going from memory, it was beset with problems from the off, with huge difficulties about the actual proposed track route, with the local authorities demanding that it's proposed site would require an extra bridge to be constructed. And there were perceived problems about the proposed pit garages which were going to be created from the ground floor of a building that was going to be built as part of the development of the area. But the developers didn't want to be unable to sell that space for normal commercial purposes.

Basically, it seems as there was no local appetite for the GP proposals, which would have the effect of closing a commercial area for up to a fortnight a year just so racing cars could go around in circles for 2 or 3 days a year. And this, in reality, is why the perennially proposed London GP has never been anything more than a pipe dream.

And at the time that the "talks" about the New Jersey circuit was going on, the developers were just getting on with creating what they had planned for the area, with the result that the original track plan was no longer feasible and so the idea was dropped.
Old 13 Jul 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4168244)   #3265
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm starting to see a number of sources claiming that a deal for a future Madrid (street) race is imminent....
Old 13 Jul 2023, 15:05 (Ref:4168248)   #3266
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
https://www.caranddriver.com/es/form...a-gp-f1-ifema/

No contract signed yet, despite the false headline.
Old 13 Jul 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4168255)   #3267
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
It appears from that article that the GP would be held from 2027 which is when Barcelona's contract ends, although the promoter does say that Spain could hold two races if possible, quoting both the USA and Italy having more than one.

I fear that this is yet another Spanish vanity project which they have a habit of creating, just like the very short lived Valencian race, the proposed "Disney" theme park that never came to be but which led to a new international style airport that has been built to cater for all the tourists that might have visited. As it is, it is only just catering for one or two more flights a day than the airport it replaced and will probably not do much better in the future.
Old 13 Jul 2023, 16:05 (Ref:4168258)   #3268
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm starting to see a number of sources claiming that a deal for a future Madrid (street) race is imminent....
boo!

wont go so far to say ban all street races, but the majority of venues/events need to be accessible to nearby campsites and not just nearby hotels imo.
Old 13 Jul 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4168284)   #3269
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What if any options exist for additional races in South America? Any grade 1 tracks outside of Brazil? Any economies in the region healthy enough to support a race?

Richard
Old 14 Jul 2023, 08:35 (Ref:4168346)   #3270
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Macron is keen for a return of the French GP. A Nice street race is an intruiging prospect

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ma...h-gp/10495434/

Doesn't seem right the country that invented GP racing is not on the calendar.
Old 14 Jul 2023, 13:57 (Ref:4168375)   #3271
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
What if any options exist for additional races in South America? Any grade 1 tracks outside of Brazil? Any economies in the region healthy enough to support a race?

Richard
Argentina can afford MotoGP, WSBK and IndyCar races, but certainly not F1.

Here in Uruguay we couldn't keep Formula E or Extreme E despite excellent reviews.

Chile had unsuccessful international circuit races (Formula E, TC2000).

Colombia never had IndyCar despite Montoya and many other drivers, so I'd discard them too.
Old 27 Jul 2023, 13:46 (Ref:4170144)   #3272
Richard C
Veteran

So with FOM having spent a lot of money on the Las Vegas race, they have to squeeze as much profit as they can out if the race. Basically any business (restaurant, club, whatever) that has a view of the track is being charged a fee. In the Jalopnik article it calls out that they are looking at the occupancy rating for the businesses and then charging $1,500 per potential occupant. With some places effectively having a $1.5M fee. If you don't pay up, they will block the view and that includes placing lights that shine directly at the location that didn't pay up.

https://jalopnik.com/f1-allegedly-ch...iew-1850675433

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...views-2877157/

Does anyone know if this is common in other street circuits?

Richard
Old 27 Jul 2023, 14:42 (Ref:4170149)   #3273
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So with FOM having spent a lot of money on the Las Vegas race, they have to squeeze as much profit as they can out if the race. Basically any business (restaurant, club, whatever) that has a view of the track is being charged a fee. In the Jalopnik article it calls out that they are looking at the occupancy rating for the businesses and then charging $1,500 per potential occupant. With some places effectively having a $1.5M fee. If you don't pay up, they will block the view and that includes placing lights that shine directly at the location that didn't pay up.

https://jalopnik.com/f1-allegedly-ch...iew-1850675433

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...views-2877157/

Does anyone know if this is common in other street circuits?

Richard
Sounds like the extortionate behavoir i'd associate with F1 management.
Old 27 Jul 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4170152)   #3274
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
broadrun96 has a similar post on the 2023 Season thread. #271

I found this article on the financial news and financial literacy website TheStreet, about Vici Properties, which quotes Vici Chief Operating Officer John Payne in a news release.

“Vici now owns 10 premier resorts on the Las Vegas Strip, consisting of 1.2 million square feet of gaming space, approximately 40,775 hotel rooms, and 5.9 million square feet of meeting and convention space."

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...ici-properties

Vici Properties stands to gain significantly from the Las Vegas GP. Is this why FOM are threatening to block views or shine lights?
Old 27 Jul 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4170157)   #3275
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
broadrun96 has a similar post on the 2023 Season thread. #271
I missed that. Yep, same topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Sounds like the extortionate behavoir i'd associate with F1 management.
For me, it comes across as "legal" to protect their rights, but at the same time, not a good partnership with the locals. A bit of a finger in the eye including the potential for vindictive behavior such as offensive lights, etc. But... I guess they are following the money.

I saw a post somewhere this morning calling out that US viewership is declining due to RBR/Max dominance. I don't want to get into that, but many of the comments were all about the high costs of attending races in US and how many feel the pricing is insanely high. The point being F1/FOM risks pricing themselves out of the US market.

Richard