Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 May 2023, 10:57 (Ref:4158939)   #1
dblue
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
dblue should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddblue should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scenic Route down and back

We have over the years refined the road trip down and back to add to the fun. Because we're all car nuts , even more than we're motorsport fans , its a huge part of the experience.
Each year has added a bit more to the route but I think it's about as good as we can get it now.

What does everyone do on the trip there/back? Where's the hidden gems we may be missing.?
Old 31 May 2023, 11:46 (Ref:4158942)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I freely confess that these days I'm a 'shortest route, quickest arrival' autoroute man. Back in the day when I used to go over with a different group we always used to meander down. Generally it was from either Caen or Le Havre. If the latter, we would almost always stop off for a meal at Honfleur, such a lovely place, then on to Pont L'Eveque, Lisieux and Sees. From Caen it would be via Falaise and Argentan. Generally speaking, as in those days we only did a long weekend, we would stop overnight somewhere on the Friday night and we found some lovely places over the years. Such as Aunay sur Odon and Domfront. We 'discovered' Cancale in the early 90's and although we only went there once on the way out, the Hotel Continental became a regular place to return to after the race on Sunday, allowing me to doze gently over a fantastic evening meal! During the 00's we stayed every year on the way down at Le Grand Luce in a rather rickety hotel which served up delicious but simple fare and the most incredible quince preserve with fresh bread and croissants for breakfast. One of the most memorable places where we stayed several times was Vendome at the Auberge de la Madeleine, where we ate outside by the river - the lobster in whiskey sauce was particularly memorable...

Should you have any interest....

https://www.aysedasi.co.uk/galleries
Old 31 May 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4158946)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Strangely people actually believe the shortest route is always the autoroute or motorway, but it is often not. The romans had a way of making roads, they draw a straight line from a to b and that is the shortest route. Modern autoroutes are far from straight lines so are never the shortest route. Plus you often have to pay tolls and stop and start to leave them. We always use the old road from Rouen to le mans which basically is the old roman road. It is cheaper, quicker and much more scenic than the autoroute and considerably less miles. But doudtless other will disagree. Ok you do have to slow down in places and the beautiful sights will attract your attention but that is better than falling asleep at the wheel, trust me i know.
Old 31 May 2023, 12:14 (Ref:4158951)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Depends to a degree on where you are starting your journey in France. Scenic is a lot nicer for sure but it's also very easy just to set cruise as we do these days. It's a pretty direct route down for us from Caen. And I shall be jumping out of the car no more, so no stop/start for me, hopefully....
Old 31 May 2023, 12:21 (Ref:4158956)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i love driving so hate motorways and were possible i will avoid them, however once past rouen on the way back and up to rouen on the way down i do use them. But driving through rural france is part of my weeks holiday and i love it.
Old 31 May 2023, 12:49 (Ref:4158960)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I do sometimes miss the scenic places that we used to find on route, often stopping for a beer or a coffee. I remember most of them but would have to dip back into my stories to remember where they were!
Old 31 May 2023, 13:05 (Ref:4158966)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I try to take my time with everything these days, rushing around is never enjoyable
Old 31 May 2023, 14:40 (Ref:4158981)   #8
dblue
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
dblue should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddblue should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The autoroute at the start is fun, we do like to pull over after the toll and spend a while watching all the interesting and noisy stuff as they go by. Boulogne and then Abbeville.
Then we get off the AR at Blangy and work our way down some very quiet sinuous back roads , little stop by tradition at a war cemetery at Grancourt, then ending up at a little restaurant at Morgny. About 5 miles west of Lyons La Foret. This all started when they had the bridge issues at Rouen but honestly its so much better than fighting your way through Rouen. No police at all, ever, they're all over at the autoroutes.
We have 8 cars this year, thats typical, and we all have radios so we talk to each other all the way.
After lunch its a B road run over to the A28 and then we're all ready to just get there.
Old 31 May 2023, 14:57 (Ref:4158984)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sounds like you've been doing this for a while?
Old 31 May 2023, 16:16 (Ref:4158990)   #10
dblue
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Sounds like you've been doing this for a while?
Well nothing like a lot of you - Went as a younger man back in the 90s but the modern era for me began in 2010. Tagged along with a mates trip and it was great in most ways but we were all over the place as a group on the road trips both ways.
Loved it so much that I kind of took over as organiser from 2011 onwards.

And you all know what I mean when I say each year you find different things that either work for you or don't work. Gradually you end up with the best trip but there's only so much you can do and I'm sure we miss stuff that others love.
What I don't quite get and couldn't do without is the drive down and back, camper vans or vans or even everyday diesel/electric luggers are good for getting stuff there and back but it is surely a festival of cars and car enthusiasts. Driving them , talking about them with others - that's a big part of it for us.
Old 31 May 2023, 16:35 (Ref:4158992)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As I'll be driving solo I won't have anyone to chat to, as such. My son and his partner will be in our small convoy so we can chat on the phone if we need/want to. Back in the day we used to use 2-3 cars and later graduated to a minibus. Our largest group was 15 in 2008. Our (now sadly departed) 'Chief Tourist' was at the time the director of a local football club, so we enjoyed strange glances as this bunch of relatively old boys traveling down in the youth team bus....

2010 was actually my 'breakaway' year when I went with a friend (who I knew from Tenths). For 24 years I had only done the long weekend and I'd been itching for years to get to the circuit for practice and qualifying. Most of the years since we've been there not only in time for that, but also for the two days of scrutineering in the town as well. Last year we did the Test Day as well.
Old 31 May 2023, 19:32 (Ref:4159013)   #12
dblue
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
Quote:
As I'll be driving solo I won't have anyone to chat to, as such. My son and his partner will be in our small convoy so we can chat on the phone if we need/want to. Back in the day we used to use 2-3 cars and later graduated to a minibus. Our largest group was 15 in 2008. Our (now sadly departed) 'Chief Tourist' was at the time the director of a local football club, so we enjoyed strange glances as this bunch of relatively old boys traveling down in the youth team bus....

2010 was actually my 'breakaway' year when I went with a friend (who I knew from Tenths). For 24 years I had only done the long weekend and I'd been itching for years to get to the circuit for practice and qualifying. Most of the years since we've been there not only in time for that, but also for the two days of scrutineering in the town as well. Last year we did the Test Day as well.
Radios are a game changer - constant chatter makes it work like you're all in the same vehicle.
LOL at a bunch of you in a youth team bus, that must have been a craic.
Part of the reason we generally have a biggish group is we only do thursday to monday, so easier for getting the time off work. Means we miss some of the action in the week of course. In fact because we stay away from track we rarely go before sat morning. Thursday is our own BBQ, Friday is CBW/Drivers parade and beers in town - we've done Arnage, Hunaudieres , friday pit walk etc in previous years.
And we do the Hotel De France after the race.
Old 31 May 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4159014)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sounds like you pack a fair bit into those few days!
Old 31 May 2023, 20:39 (Ref:4159019)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Everyone has thier own regular things they while they are there, we do hotel de france on the thursday, have done for decades
Old 1 Jun 2023, 06:31 (Ref:4159058)   #15
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblue View Post
Radios are a game changer....
We never had much luck trying to use the cheap PMR radios (aside: I am always amused that the french word for Walkie-Talkie is Talky-Walky).

If someone got stuck at a toll booth for more than a few seconds everyone was out of range to hear any 'I am stuck at the toll booth' messages.

When cheap mobile phone roaming came along that made them redundant as calls and text always went through.
Old 2 Jun 2023, 06:25 (Ref:4159220)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Everyone has thier own regular things they while they are there, we do hotel de france on the thursday, have done for decades
Now owned by an English Builder!
Old 2 Jun 2023, 06:28 (Ref:4159221)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblue View Post
We have over the years refined the road trip down and back to add to the fun. Because we're all car nuts , even more than we're motorsport fans , its a huge part of the experience.
Each year has added a bit more to the route but I think it's about as good as we can get it now.

What does everyone do on the trip there/back? Where's the hidden gems we may be missing.?
We do not go on 1km of autoroute. Our crew love the drive down and back it is a great part of the trip. We also stop at lovely French hotels in each direction and savor the delights of French Cuisine and Wine!
Old 2 Jun 2023, 06:54 (Ref:4159227)   #18
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Now owned by an English Builder!
He does drive one of the fastest old trucks too!
Old 2 Jun 2023, 07:12 (Ref:4159233)   #19
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mainly autoroute from Calais especially Monday on way back as it’s quick and also as travel down Wednesday now. Much more fun than SE England

Do like last bit of D338 below Alencon and great quiet Super U at St Jamme Sue Sarthe a mile off route for some peace before city traffic and fuel stop. Beaumont Sue Sarthe area very scenic.

Old road north of Alencon a bit dull with lots of village town ring roads.

Have also done drive around Rouen Les Essarts (which most people drive through on main road after Rouen without knowing) with it’s scary downhill bends section which had the bad accident in the late 1960’s.

Also been to Pegasus bridge cafe and museum plus beaches and a cemetery nearby via Pont de Normandie.
Old 2 Jun 2023, 07:17 (Ref:4159236)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've always wanted to visit Reims and Rouen (having driven both extensively in GPL!). It has always puzzled me how two communities can treat their racing heritage. At Reims they have now preserved the pit buildings etc while at Rouen they have literally erased every sign that they once had a major race circuit.

Pegasus Bridge is well worth a visit. We did it in 1994 and 2004 (IIRC). Madame Gondree was still running the cafe then.
Old 3 Jun 2023, 11:17 (Ref:4159475)   #21
dblue
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
We do Honfleur on the way back on the Monday. Beautiful place with lots of restaurants. Then the Pont De Normandie and autoroute only back to Calais.
The problem we find with the D338 south of Alencon is the constant worry about speed and the friendly local constabulary.

We also leave after the race on Sunday evening and do a run down to the Hotel De France. Hesitate to go on about that too much on PH or other forums as its a great little meet and not too busy and with respect, don't want it to get too well known and have the place heaving. Usually a famous face or two around as well and some lovely cars.
Old 3 Jun 2023, 13:30 (Ref:4159496)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We often visit the HdF on the Friday, normally plenty of classics to see but somewhat crowded. I can imagine the Sunday evening being more civilised.
Old 3 Jun 2023, 14:57 (Ref:4159517)   #23
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I've always wanted to visit Reims and Rouen (having driven both extensively in GPL!). It has always puzzled me how two communities can treat their racing heritage. At Reims they have now preserved the pit buildings etc while at Rouen they have literally erased every sign that they once had a major race circuit.

Pegasus Bridge is well worth a visit. We did it in 1994 and 2004 (IIRC). Madame Gondree was still running the cafe then.
Road down to hairpin memorable and still some steps on embankment grandstand at hairpin by Le Nouveau Monde (fittingly named)