Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Oct 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2312302)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Barrichello to test with Penske

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...14102426.shtml
Old 14 Oct 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2312337)   #2
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting news. I think that Barrichello will find, however, that the cars are harder to drive and that oval circuits are very different, indeed.

It would be nice to see him in the series, though.

Are we seeing someone being tested as a possible replacement for Helio, should his legal problems prevent him from racing?

Very interesting.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 01:25 (Ref:2312665)   #3
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice to have him in the series,but i dont know if he will be able to handle racing on the ovals.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2312669)   #4
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's interesting, as earlier this year he said he would never race in IndyCar, one of the reasons being his wife has told him not too because of the danger! If he did race in the series of course a driver of this calibre would be able to handle the ovals, after a bit of learning. If Danica Patrick can win on an oval despite not running in the top 10 even in UK Formula Ford, i'm sure Rubens would be able too with 9 GP wins under his belt.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2313129)   #5
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am not a Danica fan but i think you may find she came second in the Formula Ford Festival on one occasion. Personally i think RB should hang the helmet up, he has had the best of it with Ferrari and proved a poor second to MS. To be eclipsed over there would be an embarrassment. He is no Nigel Mansell or Emerson Fittipaldi.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2313163)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall Barrichello testing or at least looking likely for a Champcar switch back in 1997.

At that point, it was known his Jordan drive was gone - the Stewart F1 drive was a bit of a surprise.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2313169)   #7
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
I am not a Danica fan but i think you may find she came second in the Formula Ford Festival on one occasion. Personally i think RB should hang the helmet up, he has had the best of it with Ferrari and proved a poor second to MS. To be eclipsed over there would be an embarrassment. He is no Nigel Mansell or Emerson Fittipaldi.
Well he hasn't done to badly against Button...

As runshaw said, earlier this season Barrichello said he wouldn't race ovals because they are too dangerous, and his wife would not let him. I guess this is just a random test to experience an IndyCar.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2313249)   #8
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure what that says about Button ?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2313389)   #9
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well on his day at some circuits he was often faster than Schumacher...even if he wasn't supposed to be. I don't see many of the IndyCar drivers being faster than Schumacher on many tracks. Therefore I think that Barrichello would only increase the amount of talent in the series.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 15 Oct 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2313457)   #10
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why should RB hang up his helmet? Most ex-F1 drivers continue racing after their GP career, and Rubens, being one of the most successful current modern-day drivers, why should he? He wasn't a poor second to MS, he was just second. Why would he would be eclipsed in the IRL? You talk almost as if he is second rate. No one said he was Nigel Mansell or Emerson Fittipaldi either. I'd honestly say he was Rubens Barrichello!

N.B. I knew that about Danica, it was one helluva lucky drive!

Last edited by runshaw; 15 Oct 2008 at 22:48.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2313465)   #11
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Why should RB hang up his helmet? Most ex-F1 drivers continue racing after their GP career, and Rubens, being one of the most successful current modern-day drivers, why should he? He wasn't a poor second to MS, he was just second. Why would he would be eclipsed in the IRL? You talk almost as if he is second rate. No one said he was Nigel Mansell or Emerson Fittipaldi either. I'd honestly say he was Rubens Barrichello!

Totally agree runshaw. reading some of the comments posted here would suggest RB is scared of danger?

Is this the same man who put danger before 250 Grand Prix starts?

I think if RB was to give Indycar a go, it is only testiment to the racing spirit within RB after all he has acheived at the highest level of motorsport.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 03:59 (Ref:2313558)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I think Honda is arranging a test drive for him should he consider going to the IRL after F1.
It probably isn't a test for a seat at Penske.
Reubens has a decision to make but personally i think that driving for Accura in LMS/ALMS would be a more pleasant way to enjoy his semi-retirement.

He still is very quick in comparison with most drivers, especially in the wet... remember this years British GP at Silverstone. he put a poor performaing car in the dry into a very competitive position on an atrocious day.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 05:12 (Ref:2313578)   #13
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This column says that the report is not true:

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/

Quote:
I didn't believe this story [Barrichello testing with Penske] had legs, and team president Tim Cindric confirmed to me today that it doesn't. Neither of us has any idea where that rumor came from, but he's not testing with the team. I'm sure there are going to be many more rumors like this as Helio goes through the legal process, but let's all try to have some restraint. Roger Penske said it would be some time before he had a plan, and he admitted he wouldn't share it publicly until he had to anyway. Good for him. It's worth noting that the team is in a difficult spot here. It has to support Helio while proceeding in its own best interest. That is a delicate walk at best.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2313712)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Personally, I think Honda is trying to help cushion the fall for RB's ego as they show him the door at Honda F1 by talking of a move to the IRL.

Whether a test materializes with Penske or whoever down the road remains to be seen, but at this stage, I do not believe that RB has the CV that IRL needs for any of us to get excited about his coming here. Emmo and Nige were WDCs. Nige was coming off a WDC season. While RB is certainly a talented driver and still shows flashes he is not and never has been of that caliber.

Instead of being a launching point for careers heading toward F1, American open wheel is now becoming the retirement home for faded F1 careers - and we are supposed to excited by that? How do you advertise that? "The best racers in this part of the world along with some guys who used to be the best!!"? And John Andretti, too!

God help me.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2313780)   #15
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Better to bring on young, new exciting talent for the future, than to revert to drivers who should be considering retirement.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2314278)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Helio is lost to the championship, another big name is needed for both Penske and the series. Rubens would be a ready-made star, although he'd have to prove himself in an IndyCar (and presumably get a divorce) before it could happen.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2314288)   #17
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Better to bring on young, new exciting talent for the future, than to revert to drivers who should be considering retirement.
If Barrichello has the beating of the young, new exciting talent (it is a big if i'll grant you) then I'd rather see him in the series over those younger drivers.

But if it's younger drivers that you want then I'd sooner get rid of Milka Duno and a couple of others before I stopped a proven grand prix winner, a driver that sometimes had the beating of Michael Schumacher, from getting a seat. Get rid of 2 or 3 average drivers...put 2 exciting rookies & 1 veteran in the seats instead. I love seeing new talent coming through the ranks but i'd much rather it was at the expense of some of the drivers in the IRL that aren't up & coming or promising...and never have been, than at the expense of a hugely talented & respected driver who is known globally & who could bring a lot to the series. Just my opinion though...

And if Calvin is reporting that Penske is denying that the test will take place then we can be sure it will happen at some point. We should all have realised by now to believe the opposite of what we are told most of the time by the powers that be in the racing world...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 19 Oct 2008, 06:21 (Ref:2315621)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Barrichello has shot down the idea of him testing a Penske car....its fiction.

He has said he has no interest in driving on ovals....
Old 19 Oct 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2316073)   #19
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only chance of anything coming out of this (false) rumour is an ALMS drive for Penske or Acura joined up with being an Indycar road course ringer.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2317183)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Save for the fact that there look to be no Penske seats in the ALMS in '09 and the number of unfilled Acura seats is likely hovering around 0 unless a 2nd P2 team emerges...which leaves him with just about nothing.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2321361)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring in Franck Montagny!

Rubens won't go to IRL - I heard him say earlier this year that his would not let him drive on ovals.

And that, my friends, is that.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 03:05 (Ref:2331337)   #22
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would love to see Rubens in an indy car!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2338675)   #23
maroon92
Rookie

United States
Kalamazoo, MI. USA
maroon92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are an awful lot of "ifs" in the following sentence.

I heard that IF Sebastien Bourdais doesn't return to STR next year, and IF Helio's court dates prevent him from driving, that Seb could be a possible replacement.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2338727)   #24
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hornish will be in that #3 car before Bourdais or anybody else if for some reason Helio cant be.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2338737)   #25
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no doubts that Seb would get a ride if STR decide they can't afford to take him...which would be a shame, as the new F1 rules would probably suit his driving style...

It would be impressive to see Rubens in IRL, but it won't happen.