Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3279823)   #301
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Not all the time Simon......
Well this year it did seem to be a huge chunk of the race
Old 21 Jul 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3279921)   #302
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I've said I stay away from the track and am happy to do so. But in '11 and '12 it's so happened we've left the circuit just as the big accidents (Rocky and Davidson respectively) occurred, both of which were major repairs and long safety car periods
Old 18 Aug 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3291439)   #303
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, so it's officially quiet in the subforum people.........

Old 18 Aug 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3291448)   #304
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I'm thinking about transport next year if I don't come on my own. I suspect we'll stay in Tertre Rouge again after all, but we'll need to bring a lot more stuff than what I came with this year so as not to bother Simon with too many mouths around. Seriously considering buying a second-hand 2000-2500 euro beater car early next year and driving it to LM... despite that being a 20-odd hour road trip just to get there.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3291487)   #305
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Make it a 24 hour road trip and you can pretend you're Steve McQueen, Victor.......
Old 19 Aug 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3291611)   #306
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
What sort of car will that buy in Romania, in the UK £2000 will buy quite a nice big old car perfect for trip but not sure that sort of money will buy a big jag or BMW in Romania.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3291656)   #307
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Victor - getting there as you already know is part of the fun of it - I'd think a proper road trip between a bunch of good mates should only serve to make the whole experience more fun!!
Old 19 Aug 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3291683)   #308
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought cars were really expensive in Romania. A friend of mine sometimes goes on road trips to Romania and then sells the car at the end of the journey for his flight home.

Victory, what about flying to the UK and then buying a car here and then travelling down with some tenthers?
Old 19 Aug 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3291698)   #309
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
That seems like a good idea, big cars are cheap in the UK and can often be sold for a profit abroad, a friends soon recently sold a very old and tired M3 convertible to a Norwegian family for thier 15 year old soon to learn to drive in, seemed insane to me but the entire family flew into London got a train to the car paid the money over (full price over £3k) then drove it back via the tunnel to Norway, no tax, MOT or insurance, we were surprised it made it to France, let alone north Norway. They insisted it was ideal for their son and would be worth a lot more in Norway, but why would anyone want a knackered right hand drive rear wheel drive car in snowy Norway.
Anyway Victor there are plenty of cheap cars over here and for a £2k budget you will have a massive choice available, what sells for good money in Romania?
Old 19 Aug 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3291788)   #310
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
That seems like a good idea, big cars are cheap in the UK and can often be sold for a profit abroad, a friends soon recently sold a very old and tired M3 convertible to a Norwegian family for thier 15 year old soon to learn to drive in, seemed insane to me but the entire family flew into London got a train to the car paid the money over (full price over £3k) then drove it back via the tunnel to Norway, no tax, MOT or insurance, we were surprised it made it to France, let alone north Norway. They insisted it was ideal for their son and would be worth a lot more in Norway, but why would anyone want a knackered right hand drive rear wheel drive car in snowy Norway.
Anyway Victor there are plenty of cheap cars over here and for a £2k budget you will have a massive choice available, what sells for good money in Romania?
Remember Simon, as you point out in your own story, Right hand drive is going to lower the price you get in the mainland Europe. Perhaps waiting until you get to France to buy something? .
Old 19 Aug 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3291866)   #311
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a wierd question. Something I can't figure out I imagined, or just can't find any longer.

I have a memory of seeing a clip with Jan Magnussen driving the Corvette in the morning hours of Le Mans, when he's ill, leading him to throw up in his helmet while he drives and is on the radio.

My problem is that I simply can't find this clip ANYWHERE!
Can someone help me find it, or diagnose me mentally ill? (preferable not both)
Old 20 Aug 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3292096)   #312
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Remember Simon, as you point out in your own story, Right hand drive is going to lower the price you get in the mainland Europe. Perhaps waiting until you get to France to buy something? .
Sound advice. I'll start you off with a likely contender - should leave you with a bit of change.....

Old 20 Aug 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3292097)   #313
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I have a wierd question. Something I can't figure out I imagined, or just can't find any longer.

I have a memory of seeing a clip with Jan Magnussen driving the Corvette in the morning hours of Le Mans, when he's ill, leading him to throw up in his helmet while he drives and is on the radio.

My problem is that I simply can't find this clip ANYWHERE!
Can someone help me find it, or diagnose me mentally ill? (preferable not both)
I don't remember a clip, but I'm sure I remember this happening.....
Old 20 Aug 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3292118)   #314
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was just wondering, with a right-hand drive, how do you get your ticket on the autoroute?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3292123)   #315
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
With this :
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3292130)   #316
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I was just wondering, with a right-hand drive, how do you get your ticket on the autoroute?
Take a passenger
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3292131)   #317
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I make wewantourdarbyback get the ticket but pull up just so it's out of reach for him.

He finds it hilarious.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3292132)   #318
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, use CTD's device to grab the ticket, and put some money in this to pay the lady in the tollbooth. She can put the change back in it:

Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3292134)   #319
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Or get an automatic tollpaying device in your car. Just pass the enormous queues and use the gates reserved for subscription holders without any hazzle whatsoever

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3292135)   #320
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Boring!
The other ways are more fun
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3292143)   #321
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Boring!
The other ways are more fun
I'll be the guy behind you blasting the car horn whilst you get tangled up in your fishing net haha.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3292155)   #322
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
You use the booths with the Union jack sign, or better still get your front seat passenger to pay it will save you a fortune
Old 21 Aug 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3292291)   #323
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Drive through in reverse?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3292517)   #324
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 21 Aug 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3292553)   #325
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Why do you need to be on the autoroute at all?

If we go back to Victor's original issue, we're looking at paying not very much for a vehicle that will have resale value in Romania and will have Le Mans street cred, which says to me that a little fettling might be required along the way; none of that says the end user is going to really need to use a peage...