Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Feb 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3612835)   #1626
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonylight View Post
The ACO still continue to use the word "Mythique" which obviously translates in English to mythic or mythical meaning "fictitious, imaginary or without foundation"!
I assume they mean Legendary but I suppose that wouldn't fit with Unique and Magique!
I don't have a rooted objection to the poster, and I'm fine with the use of 'Mythique' as a tagline. Mythical for me isn't at all pejorative - indeed it captures a lot of the Le Mans experience, seeing jaw dropping cars heading off from Tertre Rouge towards the unknown (une terre inconnue in ACO parlance?) is something that transcends the readily understandable and becomes the sort of thing myths are made of.

That said I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be gracing my walls. It's been a long time since I've across a piece of motorsport marketing I've even remotely considered framing - the Lola 50th anniversary poster might be the only one that springs to mind recently, and when you look back to the plain brilliance of the 1983 poster you do start to think that something's gone artistically wrong.

As for recent IMSA posters that seem to be produced in the medium of crayon the less said the better...

Old 8 Feb 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3613067)   #1627
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the great Le Mans traditions of the last 25+ years is having terrible posters.

I do find it quite strange that in the last few years they've taken to writing big French statements on the posters for this global spectacle.

Le futur entre en piste
Le futur dans le course
Mythique
Old 8 Feb 2016, 23:59 (Ref:3613238)   #1628
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
One of the great Le Mans traditions of the last 25+ years is having terrible posters.

I do find it quite strange that in the last few years they've taken to writing big French statements on the posters for this global spectacle.

Le futur entre en piste
Le futur dans le course
Mythique
Because they know that most of foreign spectators are regular and they try to attract more French people. And a global advertising campaign is expensive.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3613315)   #1629
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i can see your point, the majority of the non french spectators will go whatever and most will have already booked everything by now. By targeting the "local" people they will get a much higher return on the advertising budget, but that is short sighted as the visitors from further away will on average spend more money at the circuit and considerably more in the local community during their stay.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3613321)   #1630
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strangely enough, one reason I go is because it is a French race in France. It all adds to the event for me not being spoon fed in English all the time. While it is wonderful to have RLM 24 hours a day, there was something exciting about having to follow commentary in French and then crowd round the tannoy for the 5 minute English update to check I had been following things correctly or get explanations for some of the incidents. I have to agree about the actual poster though, it is just bland, the ones from the 1980s were so much bolder.

Sean
Old 9 Feb 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3613339)   #1631
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, the fact that almost everything is in French is part of the draw, it makes it more of an adventure. I even speak a bit of french now !!!! Still appreciate having RLM though.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3613348)   #1632
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
By targeting the "local" people they will get a much higher return on the advertising budget, but that is short sighted as the visitors from further away will on average spend more money at the circuit and considerably more in the local community during their stay.
The posters are aimed at potential French spectators, most of whom do not live locally.
I can't for the life of me see why those of us who live in France should spend less in the local community during our stay than you do.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 15:10 (Ref:3613389)   #1633
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
The posters are aimed at potential French spectators, most of whom do not live locally.
I can't for the life of me see why those of us who live in France should spend less in the local community during our stay than you do.
What i meant is that those who travel some distance spend more money during their stay compared to locals, i did not mean those from France who camp/stay like us for a week, the extra money helps the local community and perhaps the ACO should be looking at attracting those to the race rather than people who live close enough to the circuit to allow them to just buy tickets and spend less money during there stay. Purely looking at the return on investment for Le mans as a whole rather than just the ACO
Old 9 Feb 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3613402)   #1634
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Purely looking at the return on investment for Le mans as a whole rather than just the ACO
Had an enlightening conversation with someone very much in the know on the local scene recently and it would appear this is definitely not in their MO!
Old 9 Feb 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3613412)   #1635
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
i did not mean those from France who camp/stay like us for a week, the extra money helps the local community and perhaps the ACO should be looking at attracting those to the race rather than people who live close enough to the circuit to allow them to just buy tickets and spend less money during there stay.
I thought you were replying to Pascal's post "Because they know that most of foreign spectators are regular and they try to attract more French people".
Old 11 Feb 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3614017)   #1636
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
For all those either interested or who just like a rye chuckle at F1 i just had an email from silverstone offering 25% of tickets to the british GP, never seen discounted tickets on offer before
Old 11 Feb 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3614031)   #1637
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
For all those either interested or who just like a rye chuckle at F1 i just had an email from silverstone offering 25% of tickets to the british GP, never seen discounted tickets on offer before
Blimey, yeah I've never heard of that. Didn't they do something with the tickets last year as well though? Can't for the life of me think what though.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3614087)   #1638
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Blimey, yeah I've never heard of that. Didn't they do something with the tickets last year as well though? Can't for the life of me think what though.
There was a limited edition of something like 10,000 cut price tickets last year - GE with IIRC some of the less exciting grandstands on offer. While it was a lot more reasonable than in previous years it still felt like quite a whack compared to what's on offer.

Much more relevantly I've sorted our Silverstone 6 Hours accommodation (same place as last year Simon - fancy doing dinner on the Friday again?) so that's the first three rounds of the WEC all lined up for us - now to just see if I can swing the Nurburgring and an autumnal visit to Spa for the ELMS round...
Old 12 Feb 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3614162)   #1639
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
One year I shall get to Spa!!
Old 12 Feb 2016, 11:53 (Ref:3614175)   #1640
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
One year I shall get to Spa!!
There'll be space in our car for either the WEC or ELMS rounds - with the latter it'll probably be something of a quick trip keeping time away to a minimum.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3614188)   #1641
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Should be ok for the friday evening Ian and hopefully we can get a larger group together for the saturday evening
Old 12 Feb 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3614193)   #1642
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
There'll be space in our car for either the WEC or ELMS rounds - with the latter it'll probably be something of a quick trip keeping time away to a minimum.
That's really kind Ian, thank you! I suspect I will struggle this year (certainly in May) with everything going on, but maybe next year!
Old 4 Mar 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3619894)   #1643
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a PR happening going on at Le Mans right now, Passion Share, where air force pilots get rides in race cars (old Pescarolo) and racecar drivers vice versa in planes. I wish this vid of Bugatti circulation had been longer
http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/pa...746_23802.html
Old 25 Mar 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3627210)   #1644
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
S365:

***ACO President Pierre Fillon said there are no plans to expand the grid at the 24 Hours of Le Mans beyond 60 entries. Four new garages are being built at pit-out for this year’s race, which will mark the largest field since 1955.

Of course zero surprise there, but still bit sad as the theoretical capacity could be raised further.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3627280)   #1645
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Of course zero surprise there, but still bit sad as the theoretical capacity could be raised further.
According to FIA track homologation standards, but not according to available space. If they still want parc ferme + pit buildings + paddock space in the area they have available, trust me, they've been crowded enough already and 60 cars would be just about on the limit. Last year the support paddocks were actually in awnings next to the karting track and also partially occupying the Maison Blanche campsite. There is literally no more room in the current location of the pitlane/paddock.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3627287)   #1646
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
According to FIA track homologation standards, but not according to available space. If they still want parc ferme + pit buildings + paddock space in the area they have available, trust me, they've been crowded enough already and 60 cars would be just about on the limit. Last year the support paddocks were actually in awnings next to the karting track and also partially occupying the Maison Blanche campsite. There is literally no more room in the current location of the pitlane/paddock.
Yeah, I see the pit/paddock implementation plan every year and it's squeezed in pretty tight indeed (nothing like the luxury spaces everywhere else in F1 tracks), however didn't everyone say same about the upcoming 60 though, yet they still managed to carve in those 4? They could extend it from the start and move the pit road a bit.

Anyway, I'm still extremely glad they managed to extend it to 60 even if the capacity could be pushed, much more than a decade ago.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3627412)   #1647
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yeah, I see the pit/paddock implementation plan every year and it's squeezed in pretty tight indeed (nothing like the luxury spaces everywhere else in F1 tracks), however didn't everyone say same about the upcoming 60 though, yet they still managed to carve in those 4? They could extend it from the start and move the pit road a bit.
1: To the north of the paddock is a huge difference in level and a set of stairs to climb from the paddock to the Village. Extending the pitlane any further to the north would mean some serious and very long-running demolition/reconstruction work.

2: To the south - there's an open space that used to be a parking lot, but now they're repurposing it as parc ferme. Plus there's the small matter of the Race Control building + TV compound + south end of the Bugatti circuit to consider.

Sadly I won't be there this year to see what it's like, but I can bet the paddock this year will be squeezed to the brim. Any possible further expansions would probably entail construction work that will keep the circuit closed for over a year.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3627419)   #1648
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While on the one hand it's often good to see more cars on track - 60 is absolutely fine for me at Le Mans. When I'm there I'm never really thinking about the car count. It doesn't feel sparse on track. And to be honest I think there's something to be said for the perceived exclusivity of it - and that it's not just a given you'll get an entry.

Plus this decade I'm not really sure I've been that upset about any of the cars than haven't made it. Sure having the Viper there this year would have been nice, like it was last year. But it doesn't make or break the race if an LMP2 team can field a second car or something.

We've got the biggest entry at Le Mans in our lifetime so I don't see the need to keep pushing for more?
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3627455)   #1649
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was told that because of security the drivers parade route will be modified and so not go up to the Place des Jacobins by the way under the "tunnel". No new route now.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3627469)   #1650
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I was told that because of security the drivers parade route will be modified and so not go up to the Place des Jacobins by the way under the "tunnel". No new route now.
This is the first time I've heard something changed for "security" reasons. In a funny way, for my own piece of mind, I hope for more of the same.

On one level, I really don't want to give certain groups the satisfaction of having any worry or fear about Le Mans this year. But it would also feel quite nice to feel protected. The security is quite low at Le Mans for an event of its size.