Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jun 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3424711)   #301
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Same weekend as this year would suit me. Hopefully now the deal with the FIA/F1 calendar means we should get some stability.
Agreed!
Just wish they could coordinate it with the danish education system too
Old 22 Jun 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3424854)   #302
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've assumed 13/14 June and when I go back to work on Tuesday, I'll be booking the leave!
Old 28 Jul 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3439328)   #303
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't really know where to post this question, so i'll post it here: is there full race data for the years prior to 2011 still available somewhere on the net (or does any of you have the pdf files) like the ones we have from 2011 on here: http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/ ?
i remember they used to post the full timing data on the official aco site, but they don't do it anymore and the old ones aren't there anymore either.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3464081)   #304
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure which thread to post this in so if it's on the wrong one, apologies as I'm new to the forum (wish I had found this year's ago!)

Had a dream since the age of 6 ( I know very young!) , to visit le mans but have never been able to go until next year. Sadly I can't drive and It's likely that I will be traveling on my own so I have a couple of questions about planning a trip.

First and most importantly, it too late to book now for next year or should I wait for 2016?

Secondly, has anyone travelled by train/coach on there own and how was it and how much does it roughly cost.

Sorry for all the questions but if it possible to go to Le Mans next year then I will be so happy!
Old 12 Oct 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3464083)   #305
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
Not sure which thread to post this in so if it's on the wrong one, apologies as I'm new to the forum (wish I had found this year's ago!)

Had a dream since the age of 6 ( I know very young!) , to visit le mans but have never been able to go until next year. Sadly I can't drive and It's likely that I will be traveling on my own so I have a couple of questions about planning a trip.

First and most importantly, it too late to book now for next year or should I wait for 2016?

Secondly, has anyone travelled by train/coach on there own and how was it and how much does it roughly cost.

Sorry for all the questions but if it possible to go to Le Mans next year then I will be so happy!
It's always good to book early because you get more choice - but by the same token, it's never too late to book. But it can get difficult. But we've booked our trip much, much later than this before.

I'd travel by coach if I were you because you'll probably meet people who will become your friends over the course of your trip, and there will be others on the same boat as you (literally, when you're on the cross-channel ferry).

Yes, you should go in 2015. And also 2016. And '17, '18, '19....
Old 12 Oct 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3464090)   #306
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I can't help much on the traveling to Le Mans for you, however I can recommend the Ten-Tenths International Camp!
LM24 Race International Ten-Tenths camp II (2015)
Here there will be other Le Mans enthusiasts who are going alone also .
I have stayed there for 3 years now, and will also be there for my 4th, in 2015!
Old 12 Oct 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3464115)   #307
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I can't help much on the traveling to Le Mans for you, however I can recommend the Ten-Tenths International Camp!
LM24 Race International Ten-Tenths camp II (2015)
Here there will be other Le Mans enthusiasts who are going alone also .
I have stayed there for 3 years now, and will also be there for my 4th, in 2015!
Thanks for both of your responses
The international camp sounds interesting and I will email the person for more information
Old 12 Oct 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3464139)   #308
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Thanks for both of your responses
The international camp sounds interesting and I will email the person for more information
Do that, you are also very welcome to post any questions in here or to me
Old 12 Oct 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3464158)   #309
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Suss out how long you want to be there for, find somewhere to stay and then just work back from there. Everything can be sorted even at the last minute. Where there's a will there's a way.

If you're not driving, camping on site is certainly your best bet. In my opinion it's the best way regardless. I'd recommend trying to see all the track sessions - so getting there at least by Wednesday morning. That's not always possible but it gives you time to get your bearings and soak it all in.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 06:15 (Ref:3464318)   #310
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Thirty years ago i went down by coach on Friday and unfortunately i got addicted, next year will be number 30 for me, i have always gone by car since but this year my daugher could only go down on friday evening so she caught the coach down, it is possible to do the trip from about £200 but in reality as said it is better to try and arrange a longer trip and join a group on one of the campsites, the international site is full of strange people who for some reason travel the world to congregate in a field in June, they are very friendly and that is a good way of doing it, our site on tertre Rouge is always happy to welcome people but getting TR camping tickets is much harder as it is only a small site, however you will be welcome there, and in the past we have collected people from the train station when they arrive. Keep an eye on this and other sites and i am sure you will find people from your locality with spare seats who will be happy to share costs, trust me you will love it
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3464436)   #311
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Cheers for everyone's help with this, much appreciated. As for the first time ever I can go and with what the entry list for next year looks to be like, this there a way I can't go!

Also, I can go early in the week and as I'm not if I could in the coming years then an early arrival is the plan and for me I associate camping with Le Mans so I would be camping.

The biggest hurdle is the travel to Le Mans as the earliest coaches I've found leave on the Thursday morning and I don't know how difficult it will be carrying all my stuff including a tent on train.

Probably will be leaving from close to Northampton so train link to London is good.
Again thanks for everyone's help so far, you've made me realise that this trip is possible!!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 12:01 (Ref:3464457)   #312
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Cheers for everyone's help with this, much appreciated. As for the first time ever I can go and with what the entry list for next year looks to be like, this there a way I can't go!

Also, I can go early in the week and as I'm not if I could in the coming years then an early arrival is the plan and for me I associate camping with Le Mans so I would be camping.

The biggest hurdle is the travel to Le Mans as the earliest coaches I've found leave on the Thursday morning and I don't know how difficult it will be carrying all my stuff including a tent on train.

Probably will be leaving from close to Northampton so train link to London is good.
Again thanks for everyone's help so far, you've made me realise that this trip is possible!!
If you're disciplined about packing taking camping gear on the train is utterly straightforward. The only recommendation is I might investigate changing trains at Lille (where it's just a case of a short walk from the international station to the domestic one) rather than Paris where you'd have to get involved on the metro, where having all your kit might be a pain. By the same token, making your connection in London from Euston to St Pancras is probably easier walking along Euston Road than mucking about with underground.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3464486)   #313
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's also worth bearing in mind that you can pick up a lot of stuff near the track once you're set up. Depends how you're set but if it's just a cheap chair or a roll mat you need you might be inclined to just buy one there and leave it behind.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3464545)   #314
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hello. I visited Le Mans three times, travelling on foot each time.

I flew into Paris CDG, and took the TGV from the airport itself straight to Le Mans. Took about two hours, cost a little over £50 each way (I think... was a couple of years ago now). From the Le Mans train station you can take the electric tram to the circuit and the campsites. I suspect this will be much easier and faster than taking trains all the way from England, but will be more expensive.

I took a carry on backpack (a large one, "backpacker" style) which had my clothes, camera etc. I checked my tent in as hold luggage, and stuffed quite a lot of stuff in there with the tent - roll mat, sleeping bag etc. Dragging all that was a pain in the backside!

Awesome experience though, one of the best races in the world!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3464565)   #315
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
You lucky Europeans just getting on the train for a quick jaunt to Le Mans!

People like me have to bring our tents and sleeping bags and all on the airplane!

Seriously though, whenever I read these posts I'm so jealous! I wish there were an easy method to emigrate to Europe. If only I had a ton of money and could just buy my way in!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 17:36 (Ref:3464587)   #316
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Hello. I visited Le Mans three times, travelling on foot each time.

I flew into Paris CDG, and took the TGV from the airport itself straight to Le Mans. Took about two hours, cost a little over £50 each way (I think... was a couple of years ago now). From the Le Mans train station you can take the electric tram to the circuit and the campsites. I suspect this will be much easier and faster than taking trains all the way from England, but will be more expensive.

I took a carry on backpack (a large one, "backpacker" style) which had my clothes, camera etc. I checked my tent in as hold luggage, and stuffed quite a lot of stuff in there with the tent - roll mat, sleeping bag etc. Dragging all that was a pain in the backside!

Awesome experience though, one of the best races in the world!
Don't underestimate how quick the Eurostar is. I'd back it every time door to door going to either Brussels or Paris. The usually very reliable Die Bahn timetable reckons you can do Northampton to Le Mans in under 6 hours.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 17:48 (Ref:3464592)   #317
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Well i am sure we could sort something out one of our party lives in harlow so perhaps we can arrange something we leave Tuesday usually
Old 13 Oct 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3464717)   #318
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Seriously though, whenever I read these posts I'm so jealous! I wish there were an easy method to emigrate to Europe. If only I had a ton of money and could just buy my way in!
True, but I think your lucky having NFL, the indy 500, sebring and petit in your country so I think we're evenish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well i am sure we could sort something out one of our party lives in harlow so perhaps we can arrange something we leave Tuesday usually
That's a very generous offer mate, I'm off the whole week so can leave anytime.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 07:05 (Ref:3464846)   #319
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
If you're disciplined about packing taking camping gear on the train is utterly straightforward. The only recommendation is I might investigate changing trains at Lille (where it's just a case of a short walk from the international station to the domestic one) rather than Paris where you'd have to get involved on the metro, where having all your kit might be a pain. By the same token, making your connection in London from Euston to St Pancras is probably easier walking along Euston Road than mucking about with underground.
However, if you're leaving from "near Northampton" and "near" is on the west side of town, you'd do better to leave from Kettering or Wellingborough, which takes you straight into St Pancras - same station as Eurostar.

As regards Die Bahn railway timetable, you can also use SNCF's own timetable which will also tell you the fare. Just google for SNCF
Old 14 Oct 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3464849)   #320
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
However, if you're leaving from "near Northampton" and "near" is on the west side of town, you'd do better to leave from Kettering or Wellingborough, which takes you straight into St Pancras - same station as Eurostar.

As regards Die Bahn railway timetable, you can also use SNCF's own timetable which will also tell you the fare. Just google for SNCF
Didn't know the wellingbrough line went to st Pancreas thanks, I said near Northampton which was my mistake as it will be from Northampton itself
Old 14 Oct 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3464853)   #321
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Excellent news re SNCF site. Back when I was using European railways a lot in 2007 Die Bahn was pretty much the only game in town.

Sometimes progress can be a good thing...
Old 15 Oct 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3465140)   #322
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Fränsösische Gründlichkeit!
Old 16 Feb 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3505524)   #323
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for all the contributors to this forum who have made our impending first visit so easy to plan! Just so much info out there and lots of helpful suggestions!
Was just hoping that that some kind sole could fill me in with a bit of info ref the Trams from the town centre ......
We are staying in centre of Le Mans and looking to leave the car on both race days at the secure car park at the hotel.
Wife will probably not want to spend the whole 24 hrs at the circuit so just wondering if it is a feasible option to use the tram both days? If we take it all the way to the terminus inside the circuit, how difficult is it then to walk to the Dunlop bridge area? Also, if I am looking to get back to the town after the race ends on Sunday, how long am I likely to be waiting to get on a tram?
Should I be booking a parking ticket for the qualifying days or is it possible to just turn up and park?
Apologies for so many questions - just trying to get as organised as possible - many thanks for any info provided.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3505526)   #324
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The tram runs close to tertre rouge corner and you can both get of and get on there, the enterance to the circuit is very close to the stop and you can walk alongside the track watching the cars to the dunlop bridge very easy.
The trams will be running on qualy days and will be reasonably full but should not be as serious a problem as race days. After the race the trams will be full but not to bad especially if you hang aroung for a while after.
If you get a parking ticket you can use it on all days
Old 17 Feb 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3505741)   #325
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi GT6,

Many thanks for confirming that ............ we intend to drive down Sunday evening to The Loire, so didn't really want to leave a car loaded with stuff in any of the public car parks. so the tram will work well for us.
Also means that if the boss doesn't want to stay at the track Sat evening/Sunday morning, I can pop her on a tram and follow on later if I want to. Hoped that this would be the case.

Also wondered if someone could confirm what the viewing is now like at The Porsche Curves now that the track/run off has been profiled? And are the viewing/photo opportunities better on the outside or inside here?

Apologies again for all the questions - just trying to make sure that we make the most of our first visit and I am sure that there will be a load more questions before we get there!
Closed Thread