Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2001, 13:31 (Ref:145599)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest F1 news

In the wake of the terrorist attacks on the United States on Tuesday, speculations have surfaced that the remaining three races of the 2001 season are in jeopardy and might be cancelled.
A spokesperson for the FIA confirmed on Wednesday that they have no plans to cancel any races. She was quoted saying: 'There is no plan to cancel future grand prixs.'
In turn the director of the Monza circuit, Enrico Ferrari said: 'We are working with a sentiment of infinite sadness, but life must continue.' Vice President for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Fred Nation echoed much the same when he said: 'We intend to go forward with the race.'
Williams team boss Frank Williams added: 'In my opinion the Grand Prix should happen. I have spoken about it with Ecclestone and he shares my opinion. Terrorism must not win.'

The FIA confirmed on Wednesday that the Italian GP this coming weekend at the Monza circuit will go ahead as planned in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks on the United States.
The Automobile Club d'Italia decided to cancel the marching bans and public relations programmes for this weekend's meeting and a spokesperson for the circuit explained that they took the decision 'as a sign of participation in the pain of the international community for the tragedy that has struck the United States.'
In addition they also called on the 150 000 spectators expected on race day to 'maintain an attitude of sobriety in keeping with the gravity of the situation and in collective participation in the pain of American citizens.'

A meeting is scheduled for today between the FIA and the team bosses to discuss the upcoming US GP at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway following the terrorist attacks in the US and some teams' comments that they are not convinced of its go ahead.
IMS president Tony George was quoted saying: 'We do not expect any change from the announced schedule.' In turn Bernie Ecclestone was quoted saying: 'We anticipate future events, including the US Grand Prix, will go ahead as scheduled.'

It was reported that some of the F1 teams are questioning the FIA's decision to go ahead with the US GP at the end of September and that a meeting is scheduled for today to discuss the situation.
Minardi boss Paul Stoddart described the FIA's decision to go ahead with the race as 'totally irresponsible' and spokesperson for the team, Graham Jones relayed Stoddart's sentiments when he said: 'It is Paul's view that it would be totally irresponsible to hold the US Grand Prix. He will be making that point at a meeting of team principals in Monza. As an aviation man and a Formula One team owner he knows the dangers. It is a reminder that Formula One is not as important as it might like to be.'
Despite Stoddart's feelings towards the US GP, Jones confirmed: 'There is likely to be some sort of meeting this weekend with the FIA. But at the moment the team is working as if it is going to the US.'

Despite insistence by the FIA that the remaining three races on the 2001 calendar would go ahead as scheduled, some teams are not convinced of their participation at the US GP at the end of September.
Some of the teams directly affected by the tragedy in the US include Jaguar, Jordan and Sauber, who all are linked to companies based in the World Trade Centre. According to reports in The Sun a meeting between team bosses and the FIA are scheduled for today to discuss the US GP and they quoted a spokesperson for Jaguar Racing saying: 'We know we have an obligation to race but we are currently evaluating the situation.'

Yesterday, in a meeting with a small group of foreign journalists at Maranello, Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo, naturally touched on the tragic events in the USA, said : 'In mid August, having won our third consecutive Constructors' Championship, we decided to meet the international Formula 1 press. At the time, we could not have predicted the events of Tuesday. I was at the Frankfurt Motor Show and was deeply affected.'
Asked if the Italian Grand Prix should go ahead, the President replied: 'Personally, I feel very close to the USA, as I was at university in New York. I admire the democracy in the USA. It has also been our most important market for so many years. But Monza has been a traditional appointment for Ferrari in good and bad times. Monza will be a sporting event because life must go on. But it will not be a big party, just a day of sport. Our spirit will be to tackle this race like any other and I would ask our fans to behave accordingly. We are participants not organizers and therefore we will go along with whatever decision is taken.'
Old 13 Sep 2001, 14:06 (Ref:145611)   #2
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Latest F1 news

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
Williams team boss Frank Williams added: 'In my opinion the Grand Prix should happen. I have spoken about it with Ecclestone and he shares my opinion. Terrorism must not win.'

IMS president Tony George was quoted saying: 'We do not expect any change from the announced schedule.' In turn Bernie Ecclestone was quoted saying: 'We anticipate future events, including the US Grand Prix, will go ahead as scheduled.'

Minardi boss Paul Stoddart described the FIA's decision to go ahead with the race as 'totally irresponsible' and spokesperson for the team, Graham Jones relayed Stoddart's sentiments when he said: 'It is Paul's view that it would be totally irresponsible to hold the US Grand Prix
Thanks for this very informative and factual post Gerard.

As usual, Sir Frank Williams has taken the absolutely correct position, and it is extremely heartening to see that Bernie Ecclestone and Tony George are also of a mind to procede with the U.S. event. To the extent that we allow the terrorists to disrupt our normal lives, we play right into their hands, and encourage them to continue. I feel this is particularly important with respect to international events, including sporting events. I can understand Paul Stoddart's reservations if they are based on legitimate security concerns, but the race is still over two weeks away, and private and commercial air traffic is resuming here in the U.S. as I write. Barring any further incidents, I cannot see why the teams should not come here to compete. If individual teams with affected sponsors feel differently, I can respect that too.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 15:18 (Ref:145629)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well said, Maxmil.