Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Jun 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3261062)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Chef Radio Le Mans

For those who don't know, a good friend of mine (and James and Tony) is our very own Tenths member Trussers, aka Paul Truswell of Radio Le Mans.

As I usually do around this time of year, I've exchanged emails with Paul to see what the RLM crew are up to this year. This is what he told me:-

Hello Andrew,

It’s the same team as normal, pretty much. John Hindhaugh, Jim Roller and Jonny Palmer in the booth. Nick Daman, Bruce Jones, Shea Adam and Joe Bradley in the pits. Jeremy Shaw – who will also be working for Eurosport – although I’m not sure whether he will be in the pits as well or in the box. Paul Tarsey adding colour.

No Charles Dressing this year – the Grand-Am schedule is rather too tight… they have races on both weekends either side of Le Mans weekend, and Chuck is committed to being at their races for TV purposes.

I haven’t heard anything about commentary position, but I’m guessing it will be the same as last year.

I have the impression that there will be a number of pre-recorded items, but these will probably be broadcast when there is no other track activity on.

On a related note, I am not sure if ten-tenths has picked up on the death recently of Benoit Froger. In a sense, he was one of the founding fathers of Radio Le Mans. When the radio station was first launched, he was our point of contact with the ACO, and although the ACO was distinctly lukewarm about the whole idea of an English radio station, Benoit was sufficiently visionary to see its potential.

He was always very supportive in getting us the information we needed, as well as important things like passes. He was a vital link as well in making the liaisons between us and French Telecom, etc. More recently, he worked for GM as the French arm of their marketing team and contributed greatly to the success of Corvette in the nineties and noughties. A good chap.

Best wishes

Paul

Paul already knows what I think of Le Mans and I make no excuses whatsoever in plugging the service. In fact, I think anyone who contributes to the Le Mans subforum here would be surprised if we didn't give RLM a darned good plug - what would we do without them - whether you're at the circuit trying to keep up with qualifying or the race, or at home logged on to the website and live timing, trying to make sense of everything. I've been listening to RLM since it's inception in 1987 and we almost take what they all do for granted.

I don't think it would do any harm to use this thread to enable members to support RLM and what they'll be providing for us all this year - anecdotes and interesting stories welcome!

Old 11 Jun 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3261066)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
And for all those that like me enjoy RLM the tomorrows mid week motor sport at 8.00 uk time is well worth listening to it will be the last MWM for most of us
Old 11 Jun 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3261071)   #3
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love Radio Le Mans, critical at the circuit in my mind to even have a vague idea of what's going on. Always listen to MWM, albeit usually as a podcast when I'm working on a Thursday.

I like that despite being 'media' they all seem like down to earth guys (like most sportscar people in general) and you usually get a good bit of banter on their forum and twitter etc.

An essential part of the Le Mans experience.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3261081)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post

I like that despite being 'media' they all seem like down to earth guys (like most sportscar people in general) and you usually get a good bit of banter on their forum and twitter etc.

Yes, I've met quite a few of them - other than Paul - over the years and James and I had a beer with Paul, Chuck Dressing and Paul Tarsey last year and with Joe Bradley and some of the technical boys the year before. Great guys. A great shame though that we'll miss the unmistakeable voice of Charles (Chuck) Dressing, who I've always much enjoyed listening to.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3261085)   #5
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Radio Le Mans. Essential hearing

Can't say I'll be missing Chuck Dressing. He probably has a lot of fans, but I'm not one of them.

Benoit Froger on the other hand (although never heard of him before) is a visionair and I'm glad he helped RLM come to fruition. Respect!
Old 11 Jun 2013, 19:55 (Ref:3261102)   #6
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bumped in to Hindy a couple of times but he's always been in the middle of something, otherwise I'd say hello.

Now if I could just bump in to Mr McNish and get him to sign the littlun's Audi babygro...
Old 11 Jun 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3261104)   #7
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Now if I could just bump in to Mr McNish and get him to sign the littlun's Audi babygro...
And get him to say "Hello Collective!"
Old 11 Jun 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3261108)   #8
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
And get him to say "Hello Collective!"
That's my son's proudest moment (his words not mine) receiving this tweet from Allan: "a Audi race driver of the future if I ever saw one."

Last edited by Muppetdave901; 11 Jun 2013 at 20:10. Reason: when I say his words, he was six months at the time...
Old 11 Jun 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3261129)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Well I have been listening to RLM since it started, but I have never met any of them. But Le Mans was a very confusing place before they arrived....
Old 11 Jun 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3261145)   #10
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We should ban the very idea of RLM not existing, I shudder at the thought.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3261146)   #11
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
We should ban the very idea of RLM not existing, I shudder at the thought.
Had an odd year at the circuit last year for various reasons and my radio packed up sat pm - it was like having my arm cut off!
Old 11 Jun 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3261157)   #12
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel a little silly walking allong the track with my big noisereduction headset on my head. But not listening to RLM is not knowing what is going on so I'll just take looking silly for granted. Hope they have a stronger signal this year. In advance a big thank you to RLM for broadcasting.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3261163)   #13
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car radio is still tuned in to RLM! As are all the other radios (yes plural!) I take to Le Mans. Unmissable. Which reminds me I need to charge a few double As....

I've got an Ear Defender Radio (RaceTunes) and a personal digital/FM radio and we've got various radios for the campsite...
Old 11 Jun 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3261169)   #14
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Once you get to La Sarthe having RLM in your ear is more important than having shoes on your feet.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3261197)   #15
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RIP Benoit Froger.

Radio Le Mans clearly would not exist without you, or at least, would not have been born until much later. I don't think it's shallow or sad to say that Radio Le Mans has played a significant part in who I am and has been there as the back drop to some wonderful memories with my dad from my childhood. Each year I return to Le Mans older and different to the year before, but RLM still has that magic.

And if Benoit Froger is responsible for such a service, then I think he deserves a great deal of appreciation and it's a shame I hadn't heard of him when he was alive.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 05:20 (Ref:3261264)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Once you get to La Sarthe having RLM in your ear is more important than having shoes on your feet.
That I like
Old 12 Jun 2013, 05:51 (Ref:3261269)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I dare to suggest that without RLM Le Mans would just be another motor race.

I notice their Preview shows start tonight after the MWM show.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 06:47 (Ref:3261286)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Can I dare to suggest that without RLM Le Mans would just be another motor race.
you are welcome to say it -... but I for one dont agree in the slightest. It may enhance the experience but it doesn't affect what the race is.

The crowds were just as big before RLM everyone seemed to think it was just as special.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 07:35 (Ref:3261308)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i agree with Mal, I started at Le Mans in the mid eighties and remember hanging around the speakers at 20 minutes past the hour for the 10 minutes of english, it is much better now but Le Mans would be different with out the sounds of RLM but I would still be there
Old 12 Jun 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3261310)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's big crowds at BTCC races, and I don't think anyone would claim they are special

Let us hope we never find out what LM without RLM is like.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3261327)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last year, my first Le Mans, I started to catch the RLM frequency after Paris, and get trying until it succeeded close to Le Mans .

As I have only been to Le Mans once, my pleasure on the track is limited (although I enjoyed it MASSIVELY!). However my many years as a spectator from home, has always been with the danish commentary muted, and RLM over the speakers instead. The knowledge and Passion of the crew is simply unique, and I can't think of a more knowledgable commentator team than RLM!

I hope RLM will be at Le Mans till the day the race itself no more. (which I of course hope never happen)
Old 12 Jun 2013, 08:44 (Ref:3261333)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
As we approach Le mans in the car, the first time we hear RLM is one of those "WE have arrived moments"
Old 12 Jun 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3261335)   #23
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The trip through France for us is normally soundtracked by the RLM preview shows, perfect way to start the trip.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3261367)   #24
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
The trip through France for us is normally soundtracked by the RLM preview shows, perfect way to start the trip.
This.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3261392)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Of course it's always been special, but RLM does nothing but enhance that special experience.