Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Mar 2022, 23:37 (Ref:4103208)   #26
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
I barely followed nascar in my life but if actual nascar cars are still sticking to those caveman pushrod 5.8L V8, as far I know, teams used to have fresh engines at each race, unless if a engine was still healthy after a race in poor demanding short ovals like bristol.
Of course is quite unlikely that kind of engine could last 24 hours if set to revving up to >9000rpm all the time as they normally do.
Bristol ain't easy on the engines at all, the up and downs and high banking meant they were still torn down every weekend. With the last update I believe the engines are sealed and counted to start the season. Last I knew it was equal to 2 races per engine for the season so think that's 18 engines with an extra allowance for Daytona I believe. I have not seen Next Gen engine limits lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
How many hours does a nascar engine typically go through before rebuilds? I have no clue, but this makes me think they may end up with an entirely un-nascar powertrain for the hybrid option. Possibly the unit that will be used in the new Caddy lmdh?
I was thinking possibly a powertrain test for the new Vette hybrid system but Caddy plus spec hybrid option as well
Old 19 Mar 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4103251)   #27
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe, instead of G56 being all about new tech, it could just be run what you brung.

2023: NASCAR
2024: Moto GP
2025: F2
2026: Guy Martin on a bicycle, slipstreaming a truck
Old 19 Mar 2022, 13:02 (Ref:4103254)   #28
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Maybe, instead of G56 being all about new tech, it could just be run what you brung.

2023: NASCAR
2024: Moto GP
2025: F2
2026: Guy Martin on a bicycle, slipstreaming a truck

A motogp would probably get 400km/h on straight before first chicane
Old 19 Mar 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4103277)   #29
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A full spec Super GT at their fastest would have been amazing too.
Old 19 Mar 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4103278)   #30
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or that...
Old 19 Mar 2022, 16:30 (Ref:4103285)   #31
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
A toyota GR010 get kicked at LM by a toyota supra GT500 would be quite hilarious indeed
Old 19 Mar 2022, 22:03 (Ref:4103341)   #32
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I seem to remember Sam Collins on a Midweek Motorsport (or other bit of coverage) opining that a JGTC car at its prime showing up at Le Mans or anywhere else against LMS / ALMS opposition would absolutely clean their clocks. If we could have that counterfactual I'd totally book tickets to see it.

Last edited by isynge; 19 Mar 2022 at 22:04. Reason: annoying typo
Old 19 Mar 2022, 22:35 (Ref:4103351)   #33
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I seem to remember Sam Collins on a Midweek Motorsport (or other bit of coverage) opining that a JGTC car at its prime showing up at Le Mans or anywhere else against LMS / ALMS opposition would absolutely clean their clocks. If we could have that counterfactual I'd totally book tickets to see it.
Quick correction - JGTC went up to 2004, before the Super GT rebrand and regulation update. Cars up to then would have been quick, but clearly behind the factory prototypes of the era.

The only real point of comparison are Fuji lap times when both series ran there in clear conditions. At their fastest, GT500 would have run the factory hybrids close. At Le Mans, I have my doubts that this would be directly replicated - GT500 run draggier than prototypes, even before taking low-downforce bodywork into contention.

If it were to happen with LMH/LMDh, I reckon GT500 would do the business, even taking into account a relative lack of top speed.
Old 19 Mar 2022, 23:09 (Ref:4103355)   #34
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Quick correction
Apologies. I won't post again.
Old 19 Mar 2022, 23:33 (Ref:4103361)   #35
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Quick correction - JGTC went up to 2004, before the Super GT rebrand and regulation update. Cars up to then would have been quick, but clearly behind the factory prototypes of the era.

The only real point of comparison are Fuji lap times when both series ran there in clear conditions. At their fastest, GT500 would have run the factory hybrids close. At Le Mans, I have my doubts that this would be directly replicated - GT500 run draggier than prototypes, even before taking low-downforce bodywork into contention.

If it were to happen with LMH/LMDh, I reckon GT500 would do the business, even taking into account a relative lack of top speed.
Not so sure about this, there was an user here named japanese_samurai who used to post lots of stuff about super GT, he used to post lots of articles from japanese twitter and magazines, and, hoping to recall well, toyota/lexus were always the cars with the higest marked top speed at fuji (up to about 310km/h). Which isn't that slower compared to top speed rebellion R13 used to mark when it had over 700hp.
Not to consider that 007 and GR010 at LM are in the range of >320-330km/h, which isn't a crazy top speed afterall.
In my opinion if a GT500 would run at LM, it would lack of some top speed of course, but it would qualify under 3.20 without even pushing that hard.... in fast corners like porsche or tetre rouge would look like f1 compared to LMH, despite having almost the same weight.
Old 19 Mar 2022, 23:56 (Ref:4103369)   #36
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Not so sure about this, there was an user here named japanese_samurai who used to post lots of stuff about super GT, he used to post lots of articles from japanese twitter and magazines, and, hoping to recall well, toyota/lexus were always the cars with the higest marked top speed at fuji (up to about 310km/h). Which isn't that slower compared to top speed rebellion R13 used to mark when it had over 700hp.
Not to consider that 007 and GR010 at LM are in the range of >320-330km/h, which isn't a crazy top speed afterall.
I think we're actually in agreement. I said compared to LMH/LMDh, GT500 will be a few seconds faster. I would have said 3:20 at a push, below that on occasion, which would put them just behind the 919/R18 at their pomp.
Old 20 Mar 2022, 21:39 (Ref:4103577)   #37
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What if a Super GT500 had the same fuel flow limiter as the Le Mans Hypercars?
Old 20 Mar 2022, 22:30 (Ref:4103598)   #38
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
What if a Super GT500 had the same fuel flow limiter as the Le Mans Hypercars?

LMH don't use fuel flow anymore, power/torque curve is mandated by bop and max power is in the range of 670-700hp. Unlike GT500, fuel efficiency and in general fuel consume isn't a problem anymore since max stint is given by a max amount of allocated energy a stint measured through torquemeters placed on shaft/shafts... as consequence of this absolute value taken as reference, it doesn't matter how much fuel a car consumes as long it stays in that limit (infact toyota and glickenhaus have similiar stint length but toyota manages to do that with 20lt smaller fuel tank).
Actual GT500 cars should be in the range of 90kg/h, something more something less according to regulations or to success handicap system, years ago when they were close to 100kg/h they had power close or above 650hp... it's impossible to say current power output but I think that despite a decreased fuel flow rate, toyota and honda NRE engines are still in that range of power since they constantly upgraded their pre-chamber ignition technology across the years.
Old 4 Apr 2022, 20:38 (Ref:4105336)   #39
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't find the source at the moment, but some in Nascar aren't happy that Hendrick gets to run this project as they think it amounts to additional testing. They were also mad they had to find out about this via press release.
Old 4 Apr 2022, 21:33 (Ref:4105341)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In getting to grips with the hybrid system I can see that. It will also be beneficial overall for the series for testing that, but just getting used to it could be a help to Hendrick.

The only possible solution is to open it up to a proper class and allow them all to run.

Too many Orecas and Ferraris? This is your solution. Too many stock cars.
Old 19 May 2022, 00:52 (Ref:4110518)   #41
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite candid story about the displeasure of Toyota and Ford in NASCAR working privately with GM on the G56 entry.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...olet/10306058/
Old 19 May 2022, 02:13 (Ref:4110522)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ha, I bet it caused some, er, surprise. Nice that Toyota were actually at Sebring when it was announced. Did seem to come from nowhere for them.

I vaguely remember an interview on RLM not long after the announcement and being transparent and all learning from it came up.

There is only one possible solution though. Make it a class and have at least three cars, one of each.
Old 19 May 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4110546)   #43
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

There is only one possible solution though. Make it a class and have at least three cars, one of each.
Obvious really
Old 19 May 2022, 11:09 (Ref:4110553)   #44
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Obvious really
Obvious and logical, so definitely won't happen
Old 19 May 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4110572)   #45
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the selection committee has enough of a problem without adding 3 auto entries for NASCAR!
Old 19 May 2022, 15:04 (Ref:4110582)   #46
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
I think the selection committee has enough of a problem without adding 3 auto entries for NASCAR!
Set up a NASCAR pit between Indianapolis and Arnage. The crews can jump over the wall there for pit stops. Easy.
Old 19 May 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4110583)   #47
canaglia
Veteran

or... being G56 an invisible class, just give a 5 hours turn to each of them...

chevrolet -> 16-21
ford -> 6-11
toyota -> 11-16

everyone gets same visibility + no moving chicane or rocket on straight during more risky and dangerous night hours.
Old 19 May 2022, 18:56 (Ref:4110608)   #48
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Let them do a 500 mile race at Le Mans, winning manufacturer gets the entry.
Old 13 Jun 2022, 00:38 (Ref:4115275)   #49
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
During the RLM coverage of the race, Hindy interviewed Roy Carroll, who owns and sponsored the Riley entered GTEPro Ferrari 488, that ended up 5th in class. They spoke about the race, but also about the Hendrick Camaro entry for G56 next year. Carroll is good friends with Hendrick. Richard Childress is doing the engines for the Camaro entry, a friend of Hendricks and Carroll. Also, obviously interested in the money that will flow into this project, ss he owns a Nascar team.

Hendricks was at LeMans for the race.

Jimmy Johnson was mentioned in the RLM interview, but by Hindy in a sort of 'wouldn't it be great' comment, and Carroll agreed.

Carroll is a Ferrari collector-he doesn't know how many he has (!)-abd races Ferrari Challenge in US. Also, obviously, lots of funds.

https://greensboro.com/sports/greens...7675e609e.html

Last edited by skycafe; 13 Jun 2022 at 00:41. Reason: Typo
Old 13 Jun 2022, 15:34 (Ref:4115398)   #50
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
During the RLM coverage of the race, Hindy interviewed Roy Carroll, who owns and sponsored the Riley entered GTEPro Ferrari 488, that ended up 5th in class. They spoke about the race, but also about the Hendrick Camaro entry for G56 next year. Carroll is good friends with Hendrick. Richard Childress is doing the engines for the Camaro entry, a friend of Hendricks and Carroll. Also, obviously interested in the money that will flow into this project, ss he owns a Nascar team.

Hendricks was at LeMans for the race.

Jimmy Johnson was mentioned in the RLM interview, but by Hindy in a sort of 'wouldn't it be great' comment, and Carroll agreed.

Carroll is a Ferrari collector-he doesn't know how many he has (!)-abd races Ferrari Challenge in US. Also, obviously, lots of funds.

https://greensboro.com/sports/greens...7675e609e.html
Thanks for the info, I did hear part of that interview and was surprised how that entry came together. It is not very often we see a wealthy person sponsor a car and not drive in it themselves!

On the nascar front, i did hear that Jeff Gordon was also in attendance at Le Mans.