Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Apr 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4152539)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"The Certain Sound"

Some will recognise the title reference....

I've been going to Le Mans since 1986 and in that time I've heard some incredible sounding cars. As the years have passed, the cars have generally got quieter. For the sake of something else to discuss with a few weeks to go, what do you think were (are) the best sounding cars you've witnessed at Le Mans? (And this isn't intended as a vehicle to discuss whether the noise made by the 787B was sublime or ridiculous... ).

I'll start. In no particular order -
  • Toyota TS010
  • McLaren F1
  • Peugeot 905
  • Matra (any Matra really.....)
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:00 (Ref:4152545)   #2
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My first trip was in 2010 and the Lola-Aston LMP1 really stood out. A beautiful scream.
https://youtu.be/1PYVXVM4K4A

And another Aston, the naturally aspirated Vantage. I preferred the harder edge to its sound compared to the Corvettes.
https://youtu.be/MuOYuuPK01I

The ghostly whoosh of the diesel Audis was also a favourite.
https://youtu.be/CKIc1BcWDlM

And if course, the second (?) exhaust layout of the 911RSR-19. A genuinely musical exhaust note.
https://youtu.be/kQ8riM4qNwE

You can keep your Ferrari 458s. Horrible racket.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:33 (Ref:4152550)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well after almost 40 years of going the sounds i loved best were
The mazda Rotary
The v12 jags including the lister storm
Anything with a masive american V8
The dodge Vipers
The sounds in the old tunnels when anything past over head.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 09:39 (Ref:4152553)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
- Panoz LMP1
- Lola Aston Martin
Old 23 Apr 2023, 10:11 (Ref:4152557)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
My first trip was in 2010 and the Lola-Aston LMP1 really stood out. A beautiful scream.
https://youtu.be/1PYVXVM4K4A
Ah yes, how could I forget the Lola Aston. Sitting up at the top of the stand in the night listening to that thing go past was always a highlight.

As for the diesel whoosh..... No, count me out on that one.....
Old 23 Apr 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4152576)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Some will recognise the title reference....
if you know, you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
As for the diesel whoosh..... No, count me out on that one.....
In its way it was very impressive. Especially the Audi. But not aurally beautiful, although not horrible. Have I mentioned the Mazda rotary?

Again in no particular order. The Jaguar V12s. Almost making a V12 rumble (they shook the ground in Maison Blanche). The McLaren F1’s. The turbo sixes from many Porsche. The V8s, particularly the Corvettes and as GT6 mentioned the Vipers. I would have forgotten the Lola Aston if Akrapovic hadn’t mentioned it.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4152611)   #7
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without doubt My top3 are the V12 in the Lola-Aston Martin, the GT1 Corvette and the Porsche RSR with the famous "new exhaust".
I like the Gibson V8 in the LMP2's too and the Lotus Evora because it was loud.

I'm not a fan of the modern turbo sounds.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 16:20 (Ref:4152638)   #8
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never liked the sound of the Mazda rotaries. Too harsh. Nothing smooth about their sound.

Love V12s but also loved the sound of the Porsche 935 turbos. Now those sounded SMOOOOOOTH.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 16:25 (Ref:4152640)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Honourable mention to our favourite failure of a car: The Mercedes CLR sounded incredible.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4152669)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No Mazda rotaries or diesel whooshes in this slightly different (but enjoyable) manner of listening to Le Mans Sounds of an earlier era even prior to Andrew's first visit. If you chaps fail to enjoy this then there is something jolly well wrong. What.

https://youtu.be/Lo3Bghgoq9g

Last edited by E.B; 23 Apr 2023 at 18:10.
Old 23 Apr 2023, 19:26 (Ref:4152681)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Splendid film! From the year of my birth too!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 19:34 (Ref:4152684)   #12
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest, the title made me think about The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary, because you hear that 23 times each Le Mans, since before I knew of Le Mans (maybe even before I was born?)
Old 23 Apr 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4152685)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
if we are talking stuff on the radio, i miss the old castrol oil advert on RLM
Old 23 Apr 2023, 22:04 (Ref:4152701)   #14
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I loved the Corvettes although I can still feel my ears hurt when sitting in the grandstand.
The first hybrid Toyota's setting of from the pitlane firering up there engins after they set of.
I disliked the diesels woooosh.
And probably a little odd, I like the sound of the wheelguns, the frrrrrrrrt makes me feel so happy, it means I'm back at LM circuit.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 04:24 (Ref:4152713)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
And probably a little odd, I like the sound of the wheelguns, the frrrrrrrrt makes me feel so happy, it means I'm back at LM circuit.
Great point!
I am also surprised no one mentioned a Judd V10 powered car? I never heard it in real life myself, but always thought it had a great sound.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4152724)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Panoz
Of course we can trust the fellow named after an exhaust to come up with the correct answer.

As I've not doubt mentioned many times over the years, my first experience of Le Mans was arriving into the Blue carpark on the Friday evening in 1997 and hearing the Panoz doing shakedown runs on the airport runway.

They remain my favourite LM car.

I even put one of their 'Sounds Like Thunder, Goes Like Lightning' stickers on my motorcar.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4152754)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
That is a good point. Several times now I've been into the deserted circuit on the Tuesday and stood on the 'tribunes' listening to the sounds from the garages, including the occasional wheelgun, which in an otherwise almost empty track is really quite eerie....
Old 24 Apr 2023, 12:35 (Ref:4152766)   #18
Dominion
Rookie

Dominion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDominion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not strictly Le Mans but I can’t help but have a soft spot for the LMP3 cars.

You’d expect them to be running a little 4 pot turbo or something modern and efficient but the big old Nissan V8 sounds like war and resonates between the stands on the straight. Always make sure to catch some of the Road to Le Mans action over the week.

Last edited by Dominion; 24 Apr 2023 at 12:54.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4152767)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm a fan of the LMP3's and the noise they make too....
Old 25 Apr 2023, 20:58 (Ref:4153005)   #20
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nimrod and EMKA, Aston Martin powered.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 21:07 (Ref:4153006)   #21
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Of course we can trust the fellow named after an exhaust to come up with the correct answer.

Never heard them at LeMans, but one of my most memorable Sebring sounds was Panoz.
Old 29 Apr 2023, 09:58 (Ref:4153469)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Ferrari 333sp.... The best
Panoz ..... The loudest!
Old 3 May 2023, 09:48 (Ref:4154294)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As someone who started going in 2011 I generally lament how it coincided with a lot of the unique sounds being stripped away.

One memory from my first year, which I hope to hear again in just over a month:
https://youtu.be/QtUEPwHnxmU

One of the most brutal videos on YouTube I reckon.
Old 3 May 2023, 10:22 (Ref:4154303)   #24
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
As someone who started going in 2011 I generally lament how it coincided with a lot of the unique sounds being stripped away.

One memory from my first year, which I hope to hear again in just over a month:
https://youtu.be/QtUEPwHnxmU

One of the most brutal videos on YouTube I reckon.
Yes! No holding back, please
Old 3 May 2023, 10:32 (Ref:4154306)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
A real 'divider' though. I love it because I'm lucky enough to remember it but it really is loud.....