Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 May 2002, 06:21 (Ref:292172)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Performance Comparison 2

We have all heard that the 917 etc of 1970/71 were some of the quickest cars ever at Lemans, but are there any circuits that have remained in tact enough to compare the lap times of those cars to the fastest cars of today?
Old 22 May 2002, 07:50 (Ref:292222)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be nice, but I fear that they have all been destroyed. And if any have remained then they probably aren't worth talking about!

The 917s (etc...) were greatest on the great circuits, where you could really open them up, like Le Mans and the old Spa.

I would imagine that the current crop of sportscars would be a lot quicker, although it is important to consider the different design constraints (i.e. the emphasis has changed to the corners rather than the straights) when comparing the progress of sportscars.

One thought: What about Brands Hatch? I know it has some corner re-profiles, but what circuit did they use in the early '70s?
Old 22 May 2002, 08:31 (Ref:292281)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Performance Comparison 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
We have all heard that the 917 etc of 1970/71 were some of the quickest cars ever at Lemans, but are there any circuits that have remained in tact enough to compare the lap times of those cars to the fastest cars of today?
No objective datas, but to answer to your pertinent question, we can see that, despite A LOT of new curves (dunlop esses, La Chapelle esses, Hunaudières essesx2, new Porsche part, one of the two Ford esses...) and much more engine and shape restrictions, the gap between the 917 best lap and the best lap of last PQ is only 17 seconds...

When I check on the old video recordings of 1970/71, I can see that the 917 was really difficult to drive...

No common mesure between the 917 and the Audi... the 30 years are really here and the progress is real... two different worlds... at my opinion !
Old 22 May 2002, 17:22 (Ref:292765)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch would be fairly similar, we just need the Audi to run there, so far it has not. Also probably the best 917 race was held in the wet.

Daytona springs to mind, although has the chicane been added since the 917 ran there ?

Simon
Old 24 May 2002, 10:47 (Ref:294625)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton has not changed, 917's ran there in the interserie, (as did 962's)
if only we could ask Audi......