Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: About the FIA's new regulations about the F1, you are...
Totally in favour 11 30.56%
Partially in favour 15 41.67%
Against 8 22.22%
Indifferent 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:08 (Ref:512461)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About the 2003 FIA rules

The 2003 FIA rules in F1 are much controversial in general and makes many changes what will alter the sense of F1. Are you in favour or against the changes? The thread is open to merge all discusions about it.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:18 (Ref:512471)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've had this before, but I'll vote "totally against" once again. The measures are not sufficiently thought, they are meant to treat the symptom not the disease (if it is a disease). Besides, the "some of the rules are not new rules, they are interpretations of existing rules so no reasons to vote them" is utter bull and dirty. Thumb down, both of them.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:22 (Ref:512478)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, unlike red, I'm fully in favour. I'd like to see far greater driver input and that will be provided by the new rules.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:27 (Ref:512487)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Greater driver input is fine Damon, but the rules do little in that direction I'm afraid. The tendency to 'spice up the things' prevails, so luck will rule. So is the 'cut the costs at all costs'.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:31 (Ref:512491)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I agree that the cost cutting measures will do very little. It may make it cheaper to take part but the big teams will simply find something else to spend the money on.

Getting rid of driver aids, however, has always got to be good.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:31 (Ref:512492)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red, I'm with you on this one.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:34 (Ref:512496)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Partially in favour - the only thing I like is the not touching the cars between qual and race - introduces interesting possibilities for strategy - and we all know who is best at that

The rest of the proposed changes are total BS
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:39 (Ref:512500)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Getting rid of TC or LC, as I said, I have no problem with it.

As for the not touching the cars, well, trhe ideea is good but a little bit of drawing board time won't hurt.... I love the 'no refuelling idea' but against the 'no setup alterations'. As for the tyres, nothing new here. They had to chose the tyre spec before quals, so nothing new. Ahh-haaa! But the spec, not the tyre set!
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:44 (Ref:512503)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh yes..... I completely forgot! No Sunday morning warm-up! Sheeseee! Other than sleeping a little bit longer in the GP day, which really doesn't thrill me, it's a 30 minutes less track action. (the same 'lack of on-track action' that Bernie and Max was crying a couple of years ago, when they almost forced them to do Friday practice... Nice U-turn... )
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:48 (Ref:512506)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Looks like there's been a clarification regarding what work can be done post qualifying. Have a look at this link.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:55 (Ref:512507)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
That's a bit better, but the clarification still do not clarify what means "after qualifying" and "before the race". And that's not enough for me anyway, the qual-setup vs race-setup are not possible, same goes for the tyres.

PS:
Race tyres can be removed but not changed

couple of line later:

Tyres and brake ducts changed for a fluctuation in weather conditions.... :confused:
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:55 (Ref:512509)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Partially in Favor.

I like the attempt to rein in costs and simplify the technology, though I question the safety of not allowing car to pit voice communication. I'm all in favor of the elimination of Traction control, launch control and automatic shifts.

I don't like the Qualifying shoot-out, bit I understood it. Its irrelevant now that refueling is prohibited between the end of Qualies and the race.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 18:06 (Ref:512586)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
That's a bit better, but the clarification still do not clarify what means "after qualifying" and "before the race". And that's not enough for me anyway, the qual-setup vs race-setup are not possible, same goes for the tyres.

PS:
Race tyres can be removed but not changed

couple of line later:

Tyres and brake ducts changed for a fluctuation in weather conditions.... :confused:
I think it's perfectly understandable if you're not being facetious.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 18:26 (Ref:512605)   #14
Tania_Walesuk
Rookie

Tania_Walesuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some of there ideas has been good, it will make it that bit more interesting which it lacked last year.
All my growth and development led me to believe that if you really do the right thing, and if you play by the rules, and if you’ve got good enough, solid judgment and common sense, that you’re going to be able to do whatever you want to do with your life.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 18:54 (Ref:512618)   #15
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Looks like there's been a clarification regarding what work can be done post qualifying. Have a look at this link.
Could anybody tell me what's in that link, please?
Old 20 Feb 2003, 19:37 (Ref:512660)   #16
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Oh yes..... I completely forgot! No Sunday morning warm-up! Sheeseee! Other than sleeping a little bit longer in the GP day, which really doesn't thrill me, it's a 30 minutes less track action. (the same 'lack of on-track action' that Bernie and Max was crying a couple of years ago, when they almost forced them to do Friday practice... Nice U-turn... )
I don't like the scrapping the warm-up idea for one, somewhat selfish(!), reason - the first race I went to was the San Marino GP in 1999, I paid out all that money to get a race seat and watch Jacques Villeneuve, my favourite driver, race in the flesh. He did warm-up alright, but then something went wrong with the car and he stalled on the grid. If there hadn't been a warm-up I would have paid out all that money just to see him drive one lap! As it was he'd done 15 or so laps in the warm-up as well as the formation lap, so I had some pictures and I had seen him drive, but if you scrap the warm-up you could end up with some very unhappy and out-of-pocket punters if the same thing happens to them!
Old 20 Feb 2003, 20:09 (Ref:512702)   #17
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Partially in favour.

I support the bits that take electronic driveraids away (allthough I suspect it brings back lots of paranoia), but I'm against the rules that are just there to create an artificial sort of entertainment, like the oneshot qualifying and not to be allowed to touch your car between qualifying and race. The racing should be interesting for the racing, not for the strategies (otherwise I'd watch chess instead).

I'm also against the dictatorial way the FIA went over this. Formula 1 is first and foremost made by the teams. If the FIA keeps failing to awcknowledge that they need the teams harder than the teams need them, than I applaude the initiative to start up a rival series and slap the FIA around the ears with it.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:512740)   #18
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i voted Partially in favour as it does need change but weather it works out 4 the best we will have 2 see
Old 21 Feb 2003, 10:58 (Ref:513282)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Could anybody tell me what's in that link, please?
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21987&s=5
Old 21 Feb 2003, 11:01 (Ref:513286)   #20
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
could someone tell me what's in that link please
Changes restricted after qualifying
The FIA clarifies how much work the teams can carry out

Cars will spend a lot longer in parc ferme this season

Formula 1 teams have been told that they can only carry out limited work on their cars between final qualifying and the race and only under the supervision of the scrutineers, according to AUTOSPORT this week.

The FIA, the sport's governing body, has now clarified exactly what can be done to the cars, which will be returned to the team garages after qualifying but must remain under parc ferme conditions until they are returned to the central parc ferme at 6pm and locked up until Sunday morning.

Teams will be allowed to carry out minor work on the cars from 8am Sunday, again under the eyes of scrutineers, but essentially the cars will start the race in a similar configuration to that in which they ended qualifying. This means that it is likely the traditional Sunday morning warm-up will be abolished.

What the teams can do and when:

After qualifying:
*Tyre pressure checks
*Removal of bodywork and the fitting of cooling devices
*Connection of jump battery
*Download of data by physical connection to car
*Fitting of water heaters
*Fitting of slave tyres
*Carrying out work required by the FIA

Before the race:
*Repair crash damage
*Some liquids and gases may be drained and replenished – not fuel
*Race tyres can be removed but not changed
*Main battery may be changed
*Cleaning of bodywork
*Tyres and brake ducts changed for a fluctuation in weather conditions

Last edited by Jellybabe; 21 Feb 2003 at 11:07.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 11:55 (Ref:513316)   #21
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the rules, although I'd have preferred a normal qualifying hour on Friday, and an 8-6-4-3-2-1 points system instead. But overall, F1 HAD to be saved. Jordan and Minardi are on the brink, if they die, once the manufacturers leave, the sport is stuffed. As I have said before, look at BTCC or Le Mans.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:04 (Ref:513323)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Sounds good to me - I voted yes!!! Now we can wait two weeks and see whether the whole shebang works
Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:32 (Ref:513344)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
The points system evolved from 8-6-4 to 9-6 then 10-6 to reduce the probability that the championship is won without actually winning 1 single race. What buggs me is that 50 years of experience is thrown down the toilet, because of 2 championships were not ended in the last race.... (ok 3 of them)

On one hand they reduce the gap between the winner and second finisher. That would certainly reduce the eagerness to pass for the lead, for only 2 points and lots of DNF risks. But to ensure that some passes do actually occur, they 'shuffle the grid a bit'. This is not sport. This is 'show'.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 08:37 (Ref:528635)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I just love it!!! Here this one:
Quote:
Post Qualifying Press conference, questions from the floor

Q: Broadly speaking the grid line-up is not all that different after all these chances. Is this a lot of fuss about nothing? Or can we expect a big change tomorrow?

MS: Honestly, I don’t think anyone expect a whole different scenario and suddenly Ferrari being in midfield because of the rules, although, because of the rules and because of the mistakes you can do, it can easily happen, but in actual fact, we are professional enough to try and achieve the maximum performance, and I think that’s what has generally has happened. On the other hand, if you look at where David and Kimi ended up, I guess that was a factor of this new procedure, because had they had other qualifying laps available, I guess they would have been further up on the grid and the same with my brother.

Q: Don’t you think people don’t understand completely? It’s like Fridays last year. We don’t understand how many kilos you have in the car…

MS:I guess you were responsible for it. You wrote so many stories how boring Formula One is, so (laughing) now you have to live with it!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 08:52 (Ref:528645)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just love it. Interesting that the top six qualifiers are all experienced and exacting drivers. Who would have been silly enough to think this new system would detract from SchM's achievements? What about the thread that SchM would not get the poles to beat the record. Oh Ye of little faith!! How can this talented driver be put at a disadvantage when the requirements are more exacting? Think again.