Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Apr 2003, 13:28 (Ref:559256)   #1
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To the wanna-be-designers...

I was just wondering about a couple of things, since there seem to be a few of us who are interested in designing sportscars (or anything else for that matter).

1) How did you become interested in designing cars, and how seriously do you take it (ie just a few sketches from time to time, or more in depth drawings, perhaps utilising CAD)

2) Do you like it because you like the idea of having your name atributed to a top car, you like the idea of being responsible for a design, or are you just genuinely interested in how these things go together, what makes them tick, in finding innovative new ways to do things, new ways of reading the rules, finding solutions to problems in ways that haven't perhaps been explored yet?

3) Is it something you'd like to do as a career, or wanted to do as a career?
Old 5 Apr 2003, 15:30 (Ref:559339)   #2
Garp
Racer

Garp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exept for my name on the car. All of the above, i think.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 20:40 (Ref:559544)   #3
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
All of the above, except lack of CAD, and possibly as such, most of the detail.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 21:25 (Ref:559568)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lack of CAD here too. But not necessarily detail...
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:38 (Ref:560796)   #5
Garp
Racer

Garp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try autodesk Inventor. Very easy to use.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 22:01 (Ref:560853)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Does it cost anything? And where can i get it?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 03:26 (Ref:561102)   #7
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: To the wanna-be-designers...

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
1) How did you become interested in designing cars, and how seriously do you take it (ie just a few sketches from time to time, or more in depth drawings, perhaps utilising CAD)
I've been into cars for as long as I can remember, street rods, lead sleds, minitrucks, etc. This evolved from doodles on school notebooks, to the CAD system I model with now.

Quote:
2) Do you like it because you like the idea of having your name atributed to a top car, you like the idea of being responsible for a design, or are you just genuinely interested in how these things go together, what makes them tick, in finding innovative new ways to do things, new ways of reading the rules, finding solutions to problems in ways that haven't perhaps been explored yet?
All of the above. It's a definate kick to watch Speedvision, and see something you designed go by, even if your name isn't on the car. The technology, learning what makes them work, working within the rules, etc., is all a great challange.

Quote:
3) Is it something you'd like to do as a career, or wanted to do as a career?
I've been lucky, it is a career for me, and if all goes right, it always will be.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 11:32 (Ref:561386)   #8
wouterwolfs
Rookie

Netherlands
the netherlands
wouterwolfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. I first see these cars since 1990 (peugeot 905)and I thought this is what I also want to do. I am designing cars since 1991 and since 1996 I design a car for the next season so I designed some 6 cars in
total. The car that I now designing is explicity looked to the vortex (toyota GTone)of the car and boundary layer. The program that I use is autocad. And now I'm trying Catia during my Practical training year.

2. In the near future I want to work by a manufacture and further on a want to work for my self.

3. This is what I want to do in the future. I'm now doing the university of automotive engineering in The Netherlands(4,year). In the future I want to proceed in UK/USA to extend my knowlegde of racecar aerodynamics.

wouter wolfs
The Netherlands

ps nice topic
Old 7 Apr 2003, 12:07 (Ref:561461)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Re: Re: To the wanna-be-designers...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunman

I've been lucky, it is a career for me, and if all goes right, it always will be.
Cool! Which cars have you been involved with?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:09 (Ref:561978)   #10
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Re: Re: Re: To the wanna-be-designers...

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Cool! Which cars have you been involved with?
Just one, the Mosler MT900.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 22:00 (Ref:562215)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice ride to be involved in.....

You have talent if you're hooked up on that one...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:34 (Ref:562795)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To Gunman:

Have you looked at the "Chase Competiton DP" Thread?

Are you involved in that???...Looks a lot like the Mosler...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 15:55 (Ref:562908)   #13
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
To Gunman:

Have you looked at the "Chase Competiton DP" Thread?

Are you involved in that???...Looks a lot like the Mosler...
No direct involvment. I did a 3D CAD model of a Daytona Prototype rollcage, to see how it would fit into an MT900, but it was too far out for us to go any farther with.

The Chase looks so much like the Mosler MT900, because it is. Chase purchased a body, and set out to adapt it to a DP chassis. I have no info on the arrangements, but Warren knows whats going on at Chase.

I've been curious to see their results, ever since I did the cyber fit check of the cage. I'm imagining the finished product will look very MT900esque, with the greenhouse taller and wider, and the side inlets closed up.