Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Jun 2003, 23:16 (Ref:637121)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Festival of Speed

Ok folks, the Festival of Speed is just a few weeks away so who's gonna be there? Unfortunately while I'll be in attendance I'm working at the big tsf1 stand down by the start line all three days, so am unable to escape to see the action. However if anyone wants to come and say hi I'll be the one in specs on the diecast model sales side of the stand. Hope to see you there.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 23:20 (Ref:637124)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, i'll be there. Can't wait actually. Anyone know what this year's theme or themes are?

I might venture up to the top again this year. Last time i made it all the way up there was 1996, and the last time i tried, i found my way blocked by a police woman, as the unfortuante accident that befell Mr Damer had just occured
Old 19 Jun 2003, 23:27 (Ref:637128)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It's the tenth aniversary of the festival this year so they'll be lots of old hands back as usual. Heidfeld is confirmed to be driving the '98 Mclaren in which he got the hill climb record. Many of the F1 boys will be there as usual with Montoya, McNish, Button, Coulthard and Alesi in his DTM Merc confirmed amongst others. The theme, apparently ,is Ford, what with this being the 100th aniversary them. It should be a great one this year, I just hope it stays dry.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 01:00 (Ref:637169)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd like to go to this for once. what does it clash with, and how much is it?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 01:08 (Ref:637172)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one for the trackside forum...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Jun 2003, 04:54 (Ref:637230)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Clashes with BTCC at Croft and F3/GT at Oulton (where I'll be)
Old 20 Jun 2003, 07:03 (Ref:637282)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should be great this year.
The 1960s Can Am Chaparrel's are coming back and will be the last time that they will be run ever - before going into a museum permanently. Rod Millen is bringing his 900bhp Toyota pick up truck - even faster than his 2002 Celica which blew off the F1 cars!
Other stars/cars:
Richard Burns - Peugeot
Hannu Mikkola - Focus WRC
Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell 001
Stirling Moss - Mille Miglia Mercedes 300SLR
John Surtees - 1967 F1 Honda RA300
Alan Jones - Williams FW07
Jorg Muller - Le Mans BMW V12
The Mercedes W196 Streamliner
etc etc etc....
Plus the bikes, dragsters inc Top Fuel this year.
Please don't rain!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 08:21 (Ref:637336)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there on Friday and Saturday, although I'm giving Sunday a miss because you can't move around the place!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 08:24 (Ref:637340)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will be there Friday as I have a car in the Bonhams auction have to say that normally I wouldnt go but will look fwd to it - especially if my car sells well!!!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 08:34 (Ref:637347)   #10
formulafordster
Racer

formulafordster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Stretton is back with the 6-wheeled Tyrrell which should be good
Old 20 Jun 2003, 10:52 (Ref:637450)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm there all three days. Fingers crossed for dry weather! Haven't yet decided whether to drive there and back each day or to take the tent and camp. Facilities in the campsite are a little poor IMHO.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 13:36 (Ref:637618)   #12
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on the Saturday armed with my video and digital cameras. I cant wait and am counting down the days. I'm even looking forward to the drive there. We are in for a record breaking hot summer this year so I am sure the weather will be tops. Ever optimistic.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 13:51 (Ref:637636)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
John, keep an eye open for we marshals with our Ten-Tenths badges on. If you see any of us come and introduce yourself. It's always great to meet other members!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 15:02 (Ref:637707)   #14
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Clashes F3/GT at Oulton (where I'll be)
Ditto, all going well. Which is never does.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 15:10 (Ref:637712)   #15
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one here that is going to abstain from going the Festival of Speed now? Over the past couple of years I have found that the event has become a victim of it's own success. Back in the mid 90's you could just wander anywhere amongst the cars, talk to any of the drivers and not get crushed in the crowds.

Now all the drivers of note are surrounded by bodyguards and the attitude of the crowd whenever Montoya was walking around last year (or the year before, I can't remember) was beyond a joke and in the end they just kept him in the driver's restaurant area. Also, you can't walk around any of the shops and stalls without someone coming up and hassling you to sign up for a credit card or a magazine subscription. The September race meetings are definitely my preference now which is a shame because as a teenager I used to look forward to the FoS and save my money to spend there etc. etc.

Nowhere near as good as it used to be :-(
Old 20 Jun 2003, 15:31 (Ref:637737)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would like to be there, but I will be at Croft for the BTCC instead.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 16:09 (Ref:637758)   #17
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would like to go...don't know whether i will or not though!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:16 (Ref:637960)   #18
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading through this topic really does make me want to go there again, but I do worry a bit about the comments that it's a victim of its own success. The last time I was there was in 1996 and I really did have a great time attending it in its earlier days.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 21:01 (Ref:638007)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Agree with that Carrie. Been several years since I went myself. Think I've been once on the Sunday then started going Saturday as it was far too busy. Even Saturday was getting too packed last time I was there.

Going to be at Croft that weekend so my only chance will be to go Friday then a mad dash up north. Hmm... maybe not then
Old 20 Jun 2003, 21:06 (Ref:638015)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why why do they have do put these things on the same weekend, there are three big events that weekend - BTCC @ Croft, GT/F3 @ Oulton and Goodwood and I want to go to all three, but as I said above I will be at Croft for the BTCC as it's my local track. Hopefully I should be able to get to Goodwood one year...........
Old 20 Jun 2003, 21:13 (Ref:638024)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by danieljboys
Am I the only one here that is going to abstain from going the Festival of Speed now? Over the past couple of years I have found that the event has become a victim of it's own success. Back in the mid 90's you could just wander anywhere amongst the cars, talk to any of the drivers and not get crushed in the crowds.

Now all the drivers of note are surrounded by bodyguards and the attitude of the crowd whenever Montoya was walking around last year (or the year before, I can't remember) was beyond a joke and in the end they just kept him in the driver's restaurant area. Also, you can't walk around any of the shops and stalls without someone coming up and hassling you to sign up for a credit card or a magazine subscription. The September race meetings are definitely my preference now which is a shame because as a teenager I used to look forward to the FoS and save my money to spend there etc. etc.

Nowhere near as good as it used to be :-(
I can understand what you mean, but it's not a total loss. The current well-known stars are bound to be body-guarded no matter where they go, but may of the other well-know drivers are just milling about.

Last year I said hi to Derek Bell as he wandered past, shook Ricardo Patrese's hand, waved to Murray as he went past on a golf-cart, went to see Allan McNish with his Sportscar and accidentally bumped into Louise Goodman as I rounded a Toyota truck.

It's great to see the drivers and the people involved in other aspects just wandering about the same as everyone else. It's still a great day out.

The only problem is that because it has become so popular, the place is just insane on a Sunday.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 21:15 (Ref:638027)   #22
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I right in thinking that Goodwood has clashed with Croft BTCC every single year they've both been held? I'm pretty certain it has which is very annoying for Touring Car fans. Please, please will someone listen, we don't want Goodwood to clash with a Touring Car meeting.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 06:58 (Ref:638227)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
The always hold it either the weekend before or after the British GP (usually before) so that they can guarentee as many of the F1 boys will be there as possible as they are the crowd pullers. I'd agree that it has become too busy over the past two or three years but it doesn't stop it being enjoyable. What irritates me now though is that very few people are there to see the cars, it seems people are willing to pay £30 to just stand by a picket fence outside the drivers enclosure .
Old 21 Jun 2003, 09:36 (Ref:638299)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodwood used to be this weekend (ie the weekend after LM), but then a couple of years ago they moved it to the week after the Britsh GP, a month after it's old date
Here's a pic of mine from 1996, showing how close you used to be able to get to the cars...
Old 21 Jun 2003, 09:37 (Ref:638300)   #25
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
oh never mind. it was on this page http://www.geocities.com/pirenzo2002/1996.html