Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 6 May 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1294356)   #1
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monopod Advice

I am currently considering buying a Monopod for my SLR camera. Being new to all this stuff i dont know very much about how they attach to your camera etc. Is there any models out there that you guys would recommend? For the record i have a Minolta Dynax 700si.

Cheers
Old 6 May 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1294380)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
I am currently considering buying a Monopod for my SLR camera. Cheers
I would definitely look for one with a fully adjustable `head' as found on a standard tripod (full tilt/swivel). Some of the lower priced ones have only the attaching screw and you could find yourself in a place where you need the flexibility to change the camera's orientation. Other features are spring loading (handy for heavy tele-lenses), ability to elevate the viewfinder to YOUR eye level (it gets very tiring looking thru the viewfinder while bent over) and a carying handle/strap/case.
Old 6 May 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1294532)   #3
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may find a ball head more flexible than a conventional tilt swivel type mount on your monopod, but be warned, most decent ball mounts cost as much as a decent entry level monopod! Personally, am going to be getting a decent monopod first, and then upgrading with a decent ballhead later when i can afford it. At the moment however, i use a £15 job which makes the world of difference at anything over 200mm.
Old 6 May 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1294613)   #4
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, I guess my contrary view makes your choice difficult..

Go for a simple, strudy pole without any sort of head whatsovever.. Attach to lens, not body (don't stress the bayonet mounts).. I use a Manfrotto pro pole..
Old 6 May 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1294661)   #5
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have a lens with a collar you do not need a head, and in fact it is worse with one. It makes the system look and feel like a bendy toy. You can always tell the beginners, holding the monopod with one hand and swiveling the camera with the other. The right way is hand on top of the lens, the other on the camera.

If your lens does not have a collar, then a simple tilt head like the Manfrotto 234 will allow you to swing into portrait orientation. Get a decent monopod like a Manfrotto as it will last you a lifetime. The weak point in all of them (tripods too) is the adjustment/clamping mechanism and you do get what you pay for.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 6 May 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1294681)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Oh well, I guess my contrary view makes your choice difficult..

Go for a simple, strudy pole without any sort of head whatsovever.. Attach to lens, not body (don't stress the bayonet mounts).. I use a Manfrotto pro pole..
i'm with david on this one, i have a nice manfrotto...freebie from salt lake winter olympics...screws into the lens.
Old 6 May 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1294701)   #7
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

call me stupid but how does the monopod screw into a lense? do you need a lense that specifically supports this?
Old 7 May 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1294766)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of the bigger lenses have a tripod/monopod collar, usually removable, so you can balance it properly. If you have a massive lens you want it to be balanced as well as possible, not down at one end for example.
Old 7 May 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1294993)   #9
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of people don't like a monopod for a panning shot as it make you pan in an arc rather than a smooth follow through. What size lens are you using Daz?
Old 7 May 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1294994)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I generally take it off for panning, but for headons I like to use it.
Old 7 May 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1294998)   #11
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtis26
A lot of people don't like a monopod for a panning shot as it make you pan in an arc rather than a smooth follow through.
Which is why some people like to use the ball head

Personally, i find a sharp panning shot impossible to achieve over about 200mm with a shutter speed of around 1/125th without a monopod, i'm just too shaky!
Old 9 May 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1297060)   #12
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To pan with a monopod, because I usually pre-focus, I can pick up the car at an angle and as I pan towards the point of focus, the angle will gradually straighten up. It might not be a great method but it works and means I don't have to keep changing kit.

I have a nice sturdy Manfrotto - not sure of the model but it was about £40 a few years ago. Atop this, I have a Uni-loc ballhead circa £60, which is weighty and well-made and handy for taking lots of different shots - paddock and track.
Old 14 May 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1301007)   #13
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a monopod with a mini-ball head. The flexibiliy the ball head give you is great. Plus if needed, you make make the whole lens/monopod combo alot smaller when needed which helps in small places (photo shuttle/media center/car trunk). No Matter what you do, just make sure that whatever you get can support the total weight of the camera and lens you plan on using.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1302150)   #14
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
RaptorUK has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

my 1st post here

I use a monopod and ball head (Manfrotto) , I use it to take most of the weight and have it set very loose on the ball so I have lots of flexibility. In between shots I nip up the adjustment on the ball so that all the weight is then suported by the monopod. Works for me so far but I'm still learning so don't take what I say as the best advice you can get

cheers,