Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 23 Jul 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1361451)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marco Andretti for a GP2 test

Marco Andretti says F1 is his aim, and as such he will test a GP2 car at Paul Ricard in October.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1361497)   #2
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for him I say, the guy has bags of talent.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1361530)   #3
Birel4me
Rookie

Birel4me should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes he does have talent. have followed along with him from the karting days and he is quick. suspect he is as quick or quicker than Speed, but time will tell.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1361542)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That'd be great to see! Hopefully he can make up for Michaels F1 difficulties in the future!
Old 28 Jul 2005, 03:31 (Ref:1365207)   #5
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Good for him I say, the guy has bags of talent.
He has so much talent that he crashed only 5 laps into his MIPS test at Milwaukee and then the next week he couldn't get so much as within 3 seconds a lap of his previous times. He was scheduled to run the MIPS race at Milwaukee but was surprisingly missing when it came time for practice and the story in the paddock was that he was spooked but his father and grandfather didn't want to admit it to the press for fear that it would kill his GP2 test and sour the sponsors his father is trying to line up for an IndyCar ride. Look for him to run the MIPS race at Kentucky.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 05:08 (Ref:1365235)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of people really get hooked into these 2nd or 3rd gen drivers, why I don't know. Maybe it's the nostalgia that the name invoked or the familiarity. Watching these fathers grease the rails for these guys doesn't impress me. I'm always a fan of those who do it on their own.

Marco is a mid packer in Star Mazda. He's been okay in MIPS. He's young and inexperienced, so we'll give him that. The stuff legends are made of??? Don't know about that.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1365682)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great info Team Owner, thanks. I'm willing to cut him some slack on that, he's still very young. The sponsorship you're refering to, is Michael planning on having Marco in the IRL next year?!?

Mountainstar makes a very good point regarding his Star Mazda performances, although he's sort of front midfield. I certainly wouldn't write him off, but it gives context to the idea that Marco is the second comming.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1365697)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Don't think there's any serious suggestion of seeing Marco Andretti in the IRL next year (cf. the success of A.J. Foyt IV). Marco seems to want to head for Europe, and from what little I know he might be OK in GP2 or the Renault World Series.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1365813)   #9
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Don't think there's any serious suggestion of seeing Marco Andretti in the IRL next year (cf. the success of A.J. Foyt IV). Marco seems to want to head for Europe, and from what little I know he might be OK in GP2 or the Renault World Series.

I reckon you need to dominate and win pretty much anything and everything in sight on this side of the pond to fare "OK" in europe.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1365974)   #10
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco is making the right move pursuing his F1 aspirations in Europe afterall neither the IRL or CCWS have produced any great F1 drivers since Jacques. (I dont consider Montoya or Monteiro great drivers)
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1366189)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think where they came from has much of a baring on F1 success. JV was a very good driver in Champ Car, but he was hardly head and sholders above the rest. JPM's talents seemed more appropriate outside of F1 because Champ Car emphasizes a drivers ability at the wheel rather than all of the other aspects. He may not have that great of a record, but he's the only driver who has been able to take the fight to MS, including while in a slower car. CDM was certainly competant at Toyota.

I really think that there are at least 6 drivers in each US OW series that have the ability to deserve a shot at F1. Dixon is the only IRL driver who's really tested a F1 car and to be frank I think he's a good driver, but not spectacular. Someone like Helio could have impressed more.

Take a look at Bjorn Wirdhiem. He's a highly rated former F3000 Champ and F1 test driver and he's hardly blowing anyone away in Champ Car. Guys with mediocre records on this side of the pond have been more impressive this year. My point is not to disparage Wirdhiem as I think he has potential, but to add context to the quality of drivers in US OW.

Then there's Christian Fittipaldi. He looked quiet good in F1, but was lackluster in Champ Car.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1366197)   #12
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
You make good points the same i was trying to get across that LATELY there hasnt been great F1 drivers produced by the IRL or CCWS. Montoya won the championship in 2000 that was five years Jacques was nearly a decade ago and Da matta was three year ago. Sure i believe AJ has the stuff for Formula 1 and so does Bourdais but no one has offered them anything.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1366582)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Read the item in today's Indy Star about this....

Mario is stating that he wants Marco to go the GP2 to F-1 route....

Michael wants Mario to quit talking about Marco's career...

Michael says Marco will be in the IRL in some form next year...and although Marco may run in GP2 at some point, he won't be a regular in Europe.

Michael said," Why would we run him in a situation where we have no control, especially when we have a great thing going here?"

"We wouldn't know his teammate, how much control the teammate had over things, or if they were giving him the right attention....that would be sending him to the sharks and it would be a program destined to fail."

Yes...he may test with a GP2 team in the fall....but Michael wants to have some control over his progress and to move his career along in a way that will be most beneficial to Marco....

Based on these quotes, don't bet your mortgage on Marco going to Europe anytime soon...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Jul 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1366583)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Indianapolis Star website posted this today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.indystar.com

Michael to Mario: Hush

Mario Andretti has said he wants his grandson, Marco, to begin a path toward Formula One in 2006. Michael Andretti wants his father to stop talking about Marco's career.

Michael said his 18-year-old son will be in the IRL in some form next year. Yes, Marco might try a GP2 car at some point, but he won't be a European regular as Mario and Michael were at various times.

GP2 is the division just below F-1. The ART team, owned by Nicolas Todt, the son of Ferrari team leader Jean Todt, is interested in having Marco test in the fall. Mario wants that to be Marco's next ride.

"Why would we run him in a situation where we have no control, especially when we have a great thing going here?" said Michael, who co-owns the four-car Andretti Green Racing team. "We wouldn't know his teammate, how much control his teammate had over things, if they were giving him the right attention.

"That would be sending him to the sharks, and it would be a program destined to fail."

Michael said AGR will test Marco, who has won a pair of Menards Infiniti Pro Series races, in an Indy car later this year. Michael wants his son to run at least a partial Indy-car season next year.
Reading that I have to wonder if Michael's bad Formula 1 experience is affecting his reasoning when it comes to his son. To me it seems quite obvious Michael wouldn't want to let his son take a shot at racing in Europe at all.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1366606)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
^ Yeah it sounds like it. Isn't racing by its very nature a competative and unpredictable environment?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1366617)   #16
Boro
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Michael wants to have some control over his progress and to move his career along in a way that will be most beneficial to Marco....
the guy's a tool for not letting Marco test with ART.

"sending him to the sharks"

hey, how bout lettin your son grow up in a non green-house environment
Old 29 Jul 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1366629)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
the guy's a tool for not letting Marco test with ART.

"sending him to the sharks"

hey, how bout lettin your son grow up in a non green-house environment

Nowhere in that article did he say that he would not let him test with them....

What he said was: Why send him over there, when everything is beyond their control, when AGR has a top-flite operation here...where Marco's best interests can be taken car of...by Michael

Sorry...but that makes perfect sense...Marco still needs seasoning and some experience...GP2 is too quick of a step for him...he's good, but not that good...yet...

Sure...Grandpa can talk all he wants...but it is the Dad's job to help his son make those decisions...or in this case, make some decisions for him that in both the short-term and in the long run are best for Marco's future....

Old 29 Jul 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1366657)   #18
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco`s success in GP2 would require moving to Europe at the expense of AGR.

Hold on, their is pig flying past my window....
Old 30 Jul 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1367000)   #19
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
This reminds me of my life, when I turned 16 I wanted a new car but my parents only wanted to give me one of their cars in the end my grandpa bought me the beauty pictured right next to this post. Who knows maybe Marco's grandpa will come in and do the same.
Old 30 Jul 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1367010)   #20
Boro
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Nowhere in that article did he say that he would not let him test with them....

What he said was: Why send him over there, when everything is beyond their control, when AGR has a top-flite operation here...where Marco's best interests can be taken car of...by Michael

Sorry...but that makes perfect sense...Marco still needs seasoning and some experience...GP2 is too quick of a step for him...he's good, but not that good...yet...
if he can't handle a gp2 car, then don't let him in an IPS, nevermind an IRL car
Old 30 Jul 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1367019)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see what's wrong with f3 instead of GP2?

If marco wants to go F1, running in the IRL is the biggest waste of time.
Old 30 Jul 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1367034)   #22
Boro
Racer

i agree. but then daddy doens't want his baby to run against the euros.

then again even in an interview earlier this season (think it was road atlanta or mid ohio round) he said he isn't THAT passionate towards this sport.

can't do much when you don't got the fire
Old 30 Jul 2005, 04:58 (Ref:1367035)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Mario wants him to go there...what has Marco said????

Please quote him....at some point, he probably would want to go to F-1...just a guess...but he is not ready for that yet....

Grandpa needs to butt out....I have a father-in-law that shares his "wisdom" all of the time...and my wife and I (it's her dad) tell him the same thing...

"butt out"....

It is none of Mario's business.....it IS Marco's and Michael's business...he is raising the kid and helping him with his career...

He has an established program for the boy, and will know when he is ready for what...

We should butt out, too...

as should the media....

I am a fan of Mario Andretti...have been ever since the mid 1960s...

But it is NONE of MARIO's BUSINESS....Period.....

Feed Martini the pot-bellied pig potato chips in Nazareth, Mario.....

But you have ZERO business trying to tell your son how to guide your grandson's career....

Marco is Michael's son...not yours....

Butt out...

Old 30 Jul 2005, 05:36 (Ref:1367042)   #24
Boro
Racer

One is a world champ with success on both sides of the pond

the other is a north american champ who failed miserably in europe.

yup, listening to the guy who fails in europe is a wise choice indeed.

sometimes NOT listening to one's father wouldn't be that bad of a choice. It's not like Mario wants the kid to fail; hell his blood runs in marco's too.
Old 30 Jul 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1367048)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
One is a world champ with success on both sides of the pond

the other is a north american champ who failed miserably in europe.

yup, listening to the guy who fails in europe is a wise choice indeed.

sometimes NOT listening to one's father wouldn't be that bad of a choice. It's not like Mario wants the kid to fail; hell his blood runs in marco's too.

Marco isn't his kid...Buttout, Grandpa...it isn't your decision...

I don't cae if he never lost a race...

Look at how badly AJ Foyt has screwed up his grandson's career by brining him in too soon, beacause he knew better...

Don't re-live your glory days through your bloodline, Mario....

Let Marco and Michael make those decisions...you're one step removed...keep it that way....

It is none of your business...and your son said so publicly in a newspaper that goes to more than 300,000 households during the week and anothe 400,000 over the weekends....

I think he is trying to tell you something....