Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Sep 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1409559)   #1
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who Next To Bridgestone?

Now that Williams have signed up to Bridgestone, who'll be next and how long before Michelin quits?
Old 16 Sep 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1409564)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From where I'm sat, I almost see it as a bit of a risk certainly for Williams, new engine supplier etc, maybe changing too many variables at once? Yes Bridgestone supply Ferrari and yes Michelin did have a rather large problem at Indianapolis, but at Spa Michelin were on top and seem to be developing well. I don't see too many other teams swapping over nor Michelin quitting atm.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1409570)   #3
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the other hand it could well prove to be a new lease of life to Williams, and it could actually work... I don't see them winning but they'll have a chance of doing better than this year for sure...?
Old 16 Sep 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1409588)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I don't see them winning but they'll have a chance of doing better than this year for sure...?

Imo, the strongest part of the Williams package this year is the Michelin's, and they are giving it up?? Obviously keeping Toyota happy, ready for the engine supply in 2007.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1409600)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's no use in being the 4th best Michelin team, even when Michelin are dominant. By switching Williams will be 3rd best (at worst) Bridgestone team, and their presence on testing will increase the chance of Bridgestone tyres being as good as Michelin's. Also, they are ready for the one-tyre era, and well-placed to take advantage of strong Bridgestone weekends.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1409667)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
and well-placed to take advantage of strong Bridgestone weekends.
They'd better hope that Imola is still on the calendar next season then.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1409704)   #7
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously Bridgestone and Toyota still need to confirm their arrangement as all that's been said is Michelin wont be supplying them.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1409836)   #8
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember Ferrari is the only top team on Bridgestone tyres. Michelin has ALL of the season's good runners. Therefore Michelin testing can progress quicker than Bridgestone can. Plus we have a winter's development yet. It's certainly a gamble for Williams, but lets face it they have to do something drastic anyway!
Old 17 Sep 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1409850)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's what I meant Bob, well put.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1409887)   #10
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what you said about the one-tyre era is spot on Boots, this strikes me as all about 2007.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1410069)   #11
Tec-Mec 60
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincoln, UK
Tec-Mec 60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think the bridgestones are any different in performance this year compared to michelin than last year, its just that ferrari have got worse, look at the gap between them and minardi. minardi certainly havent closed up on the rest of the pack, but they are closer to ferrari than last year by over a second on average. its fundamental floors in the f2005 that has given off the impression that bridgestone is the problem. i think it'll be the same next year unless rory byrne has more of an involvement this time round.
i think its a good move for williams, it is a bit of a gamble, but i think it could work. i still dont think they'll be challenging of course.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1410077)   #12
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec-Mec 60
i dont think the bridgestones are any different in performance this year compared to michelin than last year, its just that ferrari have got worse, look at the gap between them and minardi. minardi certainly havent closed up on the rest of the pack, ...
I haven't checked yet.

But I'm sure that Minardi are *a lot* closer to Williams than they were last year.
And they are certainly *a lot* closer to Jordan than they were last year.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1410261)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Minardi have certainly closed up, but they have a more up-to-date car and engine, as well as two impressive drivers. Jordan have done this season as cheaply and simply as possible, planning for 2006.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1410277)   #14
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With the information available to the general public, I am not sure why any teams would select Bridgestone. Maybe the political situation between Michelin and the FIA means that Bridgestone will be the only supplier soon. so Michelin will no longer develop their tyres?
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1410296)   #15
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin don't seem like the type of company that would play that game.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1410337)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, Michelin will develop their tyres until they leave F1. That is why they are in F1, as evidenced by their opposition to the single supplier proposal.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1410482)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari are now well past 60 days of testing,whereas the other teams are still inside their self-imposed 30 day limit.I wonder if Williams and Toyota would be happy for Ferrari to continue in that way,or would they ensure that Bridgestone also paid for their unlimited testing.Maybe the reason why they switched.Maybe a subject for a new thread.I don't mind if someone hi-jacks it.