Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 15 Dec 2005, 05:12 (Ref:1484438)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
AGR Signs Marco Andretti

Quote:
Marco Andretti will be joining Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan and Bryan Herta on the IRL's most dominating team in '06 and his father, the all-time winner in CART who quit racing following the 2003 Indy 500, will be in a fifth car for May.
Story here.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1484447)   #2
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to turn down race-winning machinery and favoritism on a silver platter.

I feel bad for his road-racing career. He really should've tried his hand in Europe like he wanted.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1484454)   #3
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I REALLY hope he doesn't end up in the hospital. He should have gone to Europe, like you said A season of GP2 would have done him some good. Too bad he listened to the wrong Andretti....
Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:00 (Ref:1484464)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who's to say he didn't probe the GP2 market? Would have been nice to see him there, I agree, but at the same time it will be nice to see him in IndyCar as well.

I have to wonder whether he's ready though.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1484468)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1
I REALLY hope he doesn't end up in the hospital.
Geezus
Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1484471)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There is no question IndyCar involves a higher risk than quite a few other racing championships, and that is one of the downsides with close, hard racing.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1484480)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel quite uncomfortable too, tho I wish him all the best.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1484513)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
OH NO! We can't race at the Isle Of Man! Someone might get hurt.

Good on old Marco, it'll be great too see how he goes in a top line series.

Word is also posted here and contains more Michael Andretti return rumours.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1484665)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surprised is an understatement.

Based on others that have stepped up from IPS recently, I guess it would be wrong to expect too much.

Has Marco tested recently ? I haven't heard anything and it just seems odd to sign him before he has a proper work out, especially if he is your son.

I can remember Michael giving Marco a run earlier this year in the IRL car, which he abruptly spun leaving pit lane
Old 15 Dec 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1484686)   #10
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is a shock -- Marco's obviously talented though -- I submit he will start off carefully and by mid season he will be turning some heads ---- Great to see Michael in the 500 again!!! Would be fantastic for him if he can win the 500.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1484716)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, we could see it comming but I never thought this early. As Wheldon left I guess it would be possible, good luck to him, but this year or last was his first year of single seaters racing was it not? If it was then and espcially at 230+mph oval racing It will be interesting to see how he takes to it, I know he did IPS and Toyota Atlantic rounds, good luck to him anyways I expect Michael will have him in perfect shape for it.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1484750)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just hope he is not bringing Marco along too quickly....but the young man does have an abundance of talent...no doubt about that...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1484874)   #13
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in shock. I would have thought he would have entered a support series but was wrong. Good luck to him and glad to see his dad back.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1484879)   #14
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hes not experienced enough he sould of gone to europe then come back
Old 15 Dec 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1484880)   #15
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
have to say, this sounds like more of a move because of 'the family' rather than to benefit his career. I also feel is a little too early. he has a lot to learn
Old 15 Dec 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1484903)   #16
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going out on the Limb! I pridict Marco Adrettie wins the Indy 500 and the Championship next year in his rookie season! hahaha! yeah!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1484918)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do you really think Michael would put his own son's life in danger? Or force him into a bad career option? He obviously feels Marco is a good choice for the team - even if nepotism is clearly involved, Kim Green could have vetoed the chocie if he was strongly opposed.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1484930)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Do you really think Michael would put his own son's life in danger? Or force him into a bad career option?
I'm not saying that as such, but you can't tell me Michael is completely objective in that situation. He's going to be just a little bit biased don't you think

+ how much was the drive relative to say a drive in GP2 with another team. I wish him well, as he does seem to have some talent there, but I just wonder if its the the right move, and even if it is, is it too soon?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1485386)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's Michael's team, he can employ who he wants to.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1485420)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm I never knew that!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1485470)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am surprised. Take a look at Marco's Star Mazda performances. It's clear that there are many other drivers out there who are in a better position to make the transition to the IRL than him.

Bobby Rahal choses to put his son in Atlantics for 2006. Michael Andretti choses to put his son who is slower than Graham in the IRL. Who's the wiser father? I can't see the direct comparison to Dario, Kannan and Herta being favorable to Marco.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1485567)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I am surprised. Take a look at Marco's Star Mazda performances. It's clear that there are many other drivers out there who are in a better position to make the transition to the IRL than him.

Bobby Rahal choses to put his son in Atlantics for 2006. Michael Andretti choses to put his son who is slower than Graham in the IRL. Who's the wiser father? I can't see the direct comparison to Dario, Kannan and Herta being favorable to Marco.
But at the same time, you can never know - Marco might just surprise the lot of us.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1485741)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If there is anyone on the planet who knows about "expectations" and what it is like to follow a famous father, it would be Michael Andretti.

While older than Marco when he made his CC debut, Michael was still young. Yet, he still managed to have a decent career! In Marco's case he may well have the pace. He seems to definitely have the desire and the blood line.

The Andretti's do not do things haphazardly nor rashly. Mario's brother Aldo is a living reminder of what can go wrong. I think that anyone that would suggest that Mario or Michael would support putting Marco where he does not belong or would be a danger to himself or others is wrong. Mario and Michael both have achieved so much in their careers there is no need for them to use Marco to add to their own legends nor to that of the family.

Let's see how things go with the kid before judging his driving ability or assuming that Michael is "pushing" him.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 17 Dec 2005 at 12:58. Reason: finish a thought
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1485846)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
But at the same time, you can never know - Marco might just surprise the lot of us.
I agree, there is no telling. Take a look at Andrew Ranger though. He's clearly got the speed to be in CC and he surprised a lot of people with how quickly he caught on given his age. From a mental maturity standpoint he wasn't ready. His season in CC may have done his career more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
The Andretti's do not do things haphazardly nor rashly.
Try posting that comment in the F1 forum and see what kind of response you get. You'll only get away with that here because we know how talented Michael was.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1485866)   #25
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's gonna struggle to adapt, but he's an Andretti and I expect he'll take to it. I think it's our job as fans, not to expect to much from him at this stage - and my god, he is really inexperienced - I hope it all goes well though, and best of luck to him. Also would be great to see his old man back behind the wheel - any chance of Mario coming out of retirement haha

PAUL