Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1785753)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marco Andretti will test for Honda on Friday.

Interesting!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17846.html
Old 9 Dec 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1785754)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems an interesting development. I guess Barrichello nearing the end of his career, it may be suitable to start looking at potential replacements. Plus if the test is not a success, it will have the benefit of boosting Honda's (and maybe F1's) profile in the US.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1785758)   #3
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that there is that much to read into the test. It is an award for his IRL season much the Tony Kannan tests a couple of years back.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1785768)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Seems an interesting development. I guess Barrichello nearing the end of his career, it may be suitable to start looking at potential replacements.
I'd imagine the first person Honda have their eyes on as a Barrichello replacement would be a certain new recruit at Super Aguri.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1785770)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And so it begins... Another Andretti enters the Formula 1 foray.

Let's hope talent really does skip a generation in the Andretti family.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Dec 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1785771)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It didn't skip a generation though!

Can't wait for this test!
Old 9 Dec 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1785783)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael never impressed you much then Chatters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I'd imagine the first person Honda have their eyes on as a Barrichello replacement would be a certain new recruit at Super Aguri.
I don't follow IRL or Marco but didn't Grandpa say he deserved a shot? I mean, it was in all the papers, so there ya go. I have seen enough of Anthony Davidson though to think he should be in that seat if it becomes available. At the very least, higher-up on the grid than Aguri's gonna take him. What a tough, tough market for the drivers these days.

But I'm off topic.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1785785)   #8
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Michael never impressed you much then Chatters?
Not in F1 at least! 7 retirements in 13 races is hardly what I'd call "talent".
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Dec 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1785794)   #9
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed. I'm from the former CART days though, and sure, it's arguable and I wasn't that big a fan of his either, but he certainly added to the enjoyment of each race. Lots of bad luck and dumb moves, but he had some coconuts that's a for sure.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1785803)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco might be a future F1 pilot......

The best thing about Marco is his age... if F1 doesnt work out.. then he can go back to the US and race for 20 years.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1785809)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Marco is probably the most promising talent coming out of America at the moment.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1785825)   #12
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
IMO Marco is probably the most promising talent coming out of America at the moment.
And no contest versus the other American driver currently on the grid.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1785847)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Only one... that is pretty poor considering the tradition and how huge motorsport is in USA...
Old 9 Dec 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1785862)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Michael (Marco's father) was a very talented driver. While I agree he made some mistakes - principally not moving to Europe - Senna's last minute decision to come to McLaren helped him not at all. Further, I suspect that (no offense) some here were not old enough to have been following F1 at the time and so are unaware that testing restrictions were in place that prevented Michael from getting much seat time until the race weekends. Testing (iirc) was prohibited at tracks one would race on along with a limit to the number of tests. For Michael, his visits to the various tracks on race weekends were the first times he had been to them.

So let's be fair here. I am not saying he was WDC material, but with proper support from the team and familiarity with the tracks he would certainly have had more than one podium that season.

Getting on to Marco. Also being realistic, American Open Wheel racing is nowhere on any F1 team's radar right now. The fields are weak, both Series' are in disarray and certainly would be considered by no one (except the partisan fans who support one or the other Series) to be "significant" racing experience.

I see this test as Marco angling for a GP2 ride somewhere - not him angling for an F1 ride now. Neither Mario nor Michael are fools. They learned from Michael's experience particularly that you must "play the game." If Marco shows he has the goods in an F1 test, then I think we will be seeing him in GP2 sooner, rather than later.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1785867)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well from what I've seen of Marco in the IRL, he has shown some phenominal natural talent. His great saves on the ovals. Winning in his first year. Being consistent after the Indy 500 at the front and nearly winning the Indy 500 at his first try.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1785896)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well said John.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1785905)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Ditto that...Well said JohnSSC
Old 9 Dec 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1785986)   #18
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It all comes down to the test -- If Marco does something spectacular, he'll be on the minds of those at Honda and will test more -- It's not impossible that if he wins the IRL series and tests great in the F1 car, he could be in F1 in 2008 even though, apparantly, his contract is for two more years in the IRL.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1786017)   #19
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget Marco has relatively limited experience on road courses. Certainly a fair amount but not a lot.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1786052)   #20
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly Formula One nowdays seems to have made up it's mind to get all drivers from GP2. So if Marco wants to be 3rd generation Andretti in F1 I think he'll have to go there first.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1786788)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Not that there's anything wrong with doing a year of GP2, even two, although I'm sure 1 would be the most the Andretti's would like.
TBH I think a year of GP2 would be estential, although they're not like F1 cars hardly as you need to change and adapt your driving style again when moving up. But judging by Marco and his age jumping straight into Formula 1 just out of the IRL I would question a mistake IMHO, we'll see what happens. Just it took Marco to get to speed with it and everything, but soon as he got that confidence he was great...We'll see I guess... With the Indy Racing League becoming more of a diverse series with 1/3rd of the races non oval, and a few more seasons there and more wins on the way, who knows....
Old 10 Dec 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1786807)   #22
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Several recent suggestions even that young Mr. Hamilton is leaving too early. GP2 is quickly one prerequisite, which I think was the idea in the first place. Mission accomplished.

For one, I can't wait to see Lewis on the grid next year, and would welcome Marco in either of GP2 or F1; good luck to him. Shouldn't be a problem finding sponsorship.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1786824)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you, Knowlesy and Jeremy...

Knowing the tracks and "knowing" European racing are critical factors to cracking the F1 nut. I am hoping that Marco can get in to F1, but the only way I see it happening is if he gets 2 seasons with a good GP2 team and maybe some sportscar appearances as well.

Obviously I want to see him continue to drive in at Indy in the 500, but he could possibly do that and still do GP2. If he had to give up his IRL ride to get the GP2 ride, I would see it as no big tragedy. I would feel the same if he had a ChampCar ride. Neither Series is any longer a springboard to anything - just ask Bourdais.

The boy needs seat time in open wheel cars at the tracks F1 will race on - period.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1786828)   #24
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Thank you, Knowlesy and Jeremy...Neither Series is any longer a springboard to anything.....
And I'm still ticked at Tony George for that one.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 10 Dec 2006 at 15:47. Reason: Just fixing quote tags... :)
Old 10 Dec 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1786843)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Last2liftoff - this isn't the place to discuss that, but as in any disaster/accident, the blame cannot be pinned to one cause or person.

In this case, greed, arrogance, stupidity and an overall feeling of hubristic machismo on the part of the CART Team owners, promoters, venue owners and assorted hangers-on is what led to the situation we now have. Saying one person is responsible is oversimplification on a rather grand scale.

I really hope Marco makes it to F1. It would be great to have the Andretti name back in F1 and I think Marco just may have the goods to be more than an afterthought in the record books if he gets there.