http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/21641/
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1505517)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting as a speculative piece but it lacks any definitive statements - lots of mights and maybes...

I would agree that whatever happens in 2007 IF there is a migration then it will be triggered by Rahal/Ganassi/Penske.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1505538)   #3
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How cold IRL survive to 1 or 2 big teams leaving. Imagine the impact on sponsors and viewership. It's a matter of time before we indeed find out how well Champ Car series is really doing. Credibility is key and we will get a glimpse of it with the number of entries at Atlantics. If those numbers are good then it may spark a tide for the orders in Champ Car. Again, if the first orders are strong, completely new teams (non-IRL form) and they get 24+ cars it will add more pressure to the IRL. If one of those big teams leave IRL I doubt the IRL could survive. Let's not get carried away however. TG has not given up yet!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1505548)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well now that most of the field are ex CART teams that made the jump a few years a go, I guess the IRL will do everything it can to keep them, else their future would not be bright at all.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1505586)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, there weren't a lot of people that thought the IRL would survive past 1996 either...
Old 21 Jan 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1505660)   #6
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This swapping back and forth of teams and drivers (both real and speculative) can't be good for openwheel racing in the US, regardless of who seems to be "winning".
Old 21 Jan 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1505663)   #7
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe it. AGR is basically Honda's factory team. Unless Honda itself is leaving the IRL in 07, don't expect AGR to move. Their deal now is too sweet.

Yeah, I can see Ganassi moving, and maybe Penske and Rahal, but not AGR. At best, AGR might have one Champ Car team, but most of their concentration will be in the IRL.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1505664)   #8
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really do hope that one series collapses-not because I dislike either series, but because it is the only way that we will ever get close again to 1 major open-wheel series in America.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 21 Jan 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1505691)   #9
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we gotta have someone to root against.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 02:58 (Ref:1505702)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
AGR is basically Honda's factory team.
The terminology should be- AGR was Honda's factory team. When the one engine formula was announced, it was said the special chassis development deal and the subsidies for AGR were going to end out of fairness to all.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1505742)   #11
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Fair enough, mountainstar. Thanks for the info!

Still, AGR wouldn't want to leave Champ Car because they are the reigning Indy 500 champions, and they have been IRL champions for the past 2 seasons. And all 4 cars are competitive, so that means greater exposure for the sponsors.

Having said that, if AGR did decide to leave the IRL then that would be a significant blow for that series - even if the IRL was able to find 4 cars to replace AGR's numbers. Not only would a powerhouse team leave, but so would the Andretti namesake and possibly the sponsorship.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1505761)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From JohnSSC:

Interesting as a speculative piece but it lacks any definitive statements - lots of mights and maybes...
Absolutely right, John. This isn't a "news story", it's an interview with Mario.

Personally, I don't think that this article merits much discussion. And even if it did, we should be discussing the impact it would have on CC, not its effects on the IRL.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1506037)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt Mario has much involvement in AGR's affairs. This is about as worthwhile as speaking to Barry Green - or to Peter Green for that matter.....

It's all speculative at this stage, but it's possible that some top IRL teams will return to ChampCars, but I doubt it would kill the series off. The IRL survived without those top teams for 6-7 years, and ChampCar has survived without them for 3 years so far.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1506080)   #14
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure that the IRL would survive without Andretti, Penske, or Ganassi-not for long anyway. The series seems to be struggling to get a full grid even with those teams, and those top teams are still the attraction for most fans. If those teams left, at the moment at least, I could easily see the IRL failing to get more than 10-11 cars, not nearlly enough for a proper championship. Also, it would mean most of the big sponsors would leave the series, putting it under a lot of finantial strain as well. However, with champcar on the up so much it would be easy to see why they would want to leave. It would be great to see them back in champcars as this would not only boost the size & quality of the field, but could also provide more competition between the toop teams.
More top teams = more competitive teams = more racing!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 21 Jan 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1506301)   #15
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for this thread Uesque -- Very interesting -- Because Mario is doing the talking here it has to be seen as a real possibility.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1506313)   #16
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
I'm not so sure that the IRL would survive without Andretti, Penske, or Ganassi-not for long anyway. The series seems to be struggling to get a full grid even with those teams, and those top teams are still the attraction for most fans. If those teams left, at the moment at least, I could easily see the IRL failing to get more than 10-11 cars, not nearlly enough for a proper championship. Also, it would mean most of the big sponsors would leave the series, putting it under a lot of finantial strain as well. However, with champcar on the up so much it would be easy to see why they would want to leave. It would be great to see them back in champcars as this would not only boost the size & quality of the field, but could also provide more competition between the toop teams.
I personally belief that the IRL can stand if the high end teams run, many people doubted that CCWS could survive 2003 and even though 100 million dollars were lost the season was still runned and the series is much stronger right now. All that is needed for either series to continue is serious backers with deep pockets which both have. Say AGR/Penske/Ganassi run then the IRL will surely entice new teams to run just like what happened in 2003.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 02:07 (Ref:1506422)   #17
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just serious backers with deep pockets that make a series work. You have to have a competative long term business plan and implement it. That appears to be where Champ Car has the edge. One big race doesn't make a series especially over the long haul. IMO if the big teams come back to Champ Car it would be devastating to the IRL. As a sidebar it could also put both of the competative women (think marketing) on the same side of the fence.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1506460)   #18
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
Because Mario is doing the talking here it has to be seen as a real possibility.
Keep in mind that Mario is biased toward CART/CCWS, and always has been. Yes he did win the Indy 500, but he also won a Formula 1 title and CART titles. So he's into road racing and not oval racing exclusively.

I respect Mario and his efforts to unite the two series, but understand where he's coming from when he speaks
Old 22 Jan 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1506561)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
Not as long as you have a schedule focused on street circuits.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1506590)   #20
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Keep in mind that Mario is biased toward CART/CCWS, and always has been. Yes he did win the Indy 500, but he also won a Formula 1 title and CART titles. So he's into road racing and not oval racing exclusively.

I respect Mario and his efforts to unite the two series, but understand where he's coming from when he speaks
I talked with Mario two days after Michael announcing that he was IRL-bound and the old man said "You know, kids are like that... You raise them to do good things, but no matter how hard you try they go out and do some dumb things anyway..."
Old 22 Jan 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1506717)   #21
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza
I talked with Mario two days after Michael announcing that he was IRL-bound and the old man said "You know, kids are like that... You raise them to do good things, but no matter how hard you try they go out and do some dumb things anyway..."
... remembering this funny cartoon from Jim Bamber back in 2002: at home with Andrettis...

Old 22 Jan 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1506741)   #22
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspot
It's not just serious backers with deep pockets that make a series work. You have to have a competative long term business plan and implement it. That appears to be where Champ Car has the edge. One big race doesn't make a series especially over the long haul. IMO if the big teams come back to Champ Car it would be devastating to the IRL. As a sidebar it could also put both of the competative women (think marketing) on the same side of the fence.
Maybe not work but it can keep going, 2003 was in reality a functional season most of the cras out there were being funded by pookfare. The IRL has been around for ten years way longer than anyone thought so, and even when it was pretty weak it managed to do considerable damage.

As far as having the two top females racers I think it would be great, but I can sense that when Katherine does come on board to CCWS they publicity will be good enough and Danica is going to be the one whos going to start answering questions about Katherine in her interviews. Like Katherine can win races and she's a woman so whats your excuse?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1512829)   #23
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean if AGR comes to champ car that he will be running four cars as well? Cause if he is the field will grow by four cars which will be very cool.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1512832)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This AGR-conversation would be better suited in next year's "Silly Season" thread, IMO.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1513091)   #25
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Not as long as you have a schedule focused on street circuits.
Rubbish......San Jose aside the racing has been great on Street Circuits in 2005, and it'll only get better with the new car designed to be racier on them.

But I'm not getting into this again, we know your opinion on them, and gosh darn if you must say it in every thread...

As to the possibilty of AGR? Well, we've seen this game played before, last time by Hemelgarn....threatening to run Champcar because things aren't going right on their side.
One day someone might have the guts to follow up on their idle threats...

I am braced for the fact that some teams might straddle the fence again next year, buy a couple of Panoz cars and split their program between CC and the IRL, but as for any full time switching?
Can't see it, to be honest.....