Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Feb 2003, 09:39 (Ref:497074)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New series to be started by FIA - Volvo to join

New series for Volvo
ETCC 05/02/03

Recent information confirms that Volvo will not return to the ETCC. Instead, according to one of Sweden's biggest newspapers "DN", Volvo will join a totally new racing series that will be started by FIA in 2005. Earlier speculations that Volvo would leave all kind of Touring car racing seems to be faulty, something that Olle Odsell from Volvo underlines: "Touring car racing is our niche," and points out that the owners of Volvo, Ford, has a general policy that manufacturers will race with their products.

The start of the new series by FIA is, according to DN, scheduled to 2005 that coincide with the launch of the new Volvo 40-series Coupé model. Though, what kind of series is this then? The FIA has looked quite much at the German DTM series. The cars are supposed to be something in between Touring cars and Sports cars, with only Coupé models allowed. And the cost for this is higher than for the ETCC, there lies the sum of money the Volvo boss Hans-Olov Olsson mentioned about their coming racing commitment as you can read in an earlier TouringCarTimes article. Stay tuned for more news on this matter!

Source: DN (Dagens Nyheter)

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 5 Feb 2003, 11:29 (Ref:497149)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
So let see... DTM series gets popular... FIA steps in and creates International series... costs spiral out of control... 2/3 of the grid decide it's too expensive... series collapses...

Now where have I heard all this before ?

I'm confused though. If Volvo's niche is Touring Cars why would they want to entry a pseudo-Sportscar series? And if they can't/won't fund an ETCC programme who is going to pay for all of this?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 11:34 (Ref:497153)   #3
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm.... with only Group N/N+, Superproduction, Supertouring, Super 2000, BTCC, DTM, V8Star and Aussie-V8Supercars rules to choose from (did I miss any?), I guess what the world really needed was yet another set of touring car rules.

Sounds a bit like late 1980's Procar idea all over again.

Last edited by alfasud; 5 Feb 2003 at 11:36.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 11:58 (Ref:497170)   #4
bestetti26
Rookie

bestetti26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dear Alfasud,

you missed French Silhouette, Argentina Touring Car, STCC and a lot more I'm sure there are out there
Old 5 Feb 2003, 12:19 (Ref:497184)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
So let see... DTM series gets popular... FIA steps in and creates International series... costs spiral out of control... 2/3 of the grid decide it's too expensive... series collapses...

Now where have I heard all this before ?

I'm confused though. If Volvo's niche is Touring Cars why would they want to entry a pseudo-Sportscar series? And if they can't/won't fund an ETCC programme who is going to pay for all of this?
Very good points...
Old 5 Feb 2003, 12:53 (Ref:497208)   #6
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I guess what the world really needed was yet another set of touring car rules.

Sounds a bit like late 1980's Procar idea all over again."

My thoughts exactly.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 12:57 (Ref:497210)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We definatly need one worldwide set of rules, similiar to rallying.

Why would the FIA start up another touring car style series that would not only be in competition with their own FIA ETC, but also the FIA GT Championship.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 14:52 (Ref:497336)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It indicates that the FIA either want to nick the DTM's idea, or they don't have much hope for the future of the ETCC doesn't it?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 14:53 (Ref:497337)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69

Why would the FIA start up another touring car style series that would not only be in competition with their own FIA ETC, but also the FIA GT Championship.
This is exactly what they tried to do in the 80s when they came up with the bright idea of Procar in addition to the existing and successful Group A-based ETCC and Group C World Sportscar series- and of course not only did Procar not happen, but over the next couple of years they managed to both touring cars AND sportscars by their relentless interference.

Now they seem to have a similar bright idea- it's sheer lunacy
Old 5 Feb 2003, 15:01 (Ref:497347)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
God only knows- there seems to be no reason for this series to exist unless it's at the expense of an existing one. Maybe that's the idea- kill off both the ETCC and FIA GT's and draw support into this new series, but what they aim to gain from it I can't imagine.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 15:33 (Ref:497376)   #11
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One manufactor builts his own series, first in one country, and then worldwide...
How do we call the new 2005- Touringcar- Series? ITC?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 17:19 (Ref:497460)   #12
Portello
Racer

Portello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot understand what should be the intention behind. But 2005 is still far away , so we have to expect some more rumours to come (and go). I also think the last thing we need in Europe's touring car motorsport - projects, is splitting in even more directions.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 18:30 (Ref:497531)   #13
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To play the devil's advocate--perhaps the FIA is wanting to create a set of common/global rules, like what the ST did for touringcars in the nineties! Of course, why didn't they just adopt the ETCC rules and save themselves a bunch of money and time!

OTOH, I guess the FIA doesn't want to admit they are using someone else's idea. It's all an ego and pride thing?

Last edited by kmchow; 5 Feb 2003 at 18:31.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 19:04 (Ref:497577)   #14
Portello
Racer

Portello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
It indicates that the FIA either want to nick the DTM's idea, or they don't have much hope for the future of the ETCC doesn't it? [/B]
I hope this won't be the case. Just a few months ago I heard about FIA plans to establish ETCC as an official world cup series including Asian works-teams (for example KIA). Possibly ETCC's main sponsor LG from Korea was the driving force.
Whatever will happen, I expect the series to be "safe" in the next 2 or 3 years - especially with a fourth manufacturer (?) in 2004.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 10:37 (Ref:498239)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they didn't have much hope for the future of the current rules in the ETC then i presume they wouldn't be doing all this mucking around with weights, rev limits and so on.

History does seem to be repeating itself though unfortunatly.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 16:25 (Ref:498615)   #16
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...any way, the series sounds kinda cool, lets hope it gets some good attention given to it!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 20:14 (Ref:498813)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To me, this series sounds like it could be right up BMW's street...
Old 6 Feb 2003, 20:30 (Ref:498827)   #18
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Portello
Just a few months ago I heard about FIA plans to establish ETCC as an official world cup series including Asian works-teams (for example KIA). Possibly ETCC's main sponsor LG from Korea was the driving force.

That sounds well, World Touring car championship. Like in the old times.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:58 (Ref:501822)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I must confess, I hadn't heard anything about this proposed new series, but am intrigued. Touringlegend mentions this could be right up BMW's street; is it, perhaps, not entirely coincidental that BMW are mounting a factory assault on the Nurburgring 24 Hours this year, and continue to develop the M3 GTR?

What would be great is if the FIA launched an endurance championship like the German-based Langstreckenpokal, based around the Nurburgring 24 Hours and maybe pulling in the Spa 24 as well. One can dream...
Old 9 Feb 2003, 23:00 (Ref:501879)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Portello
I hope this won't be the case. Just a few months ago I heard about FIA plans to establish ETCC as an official world cup series including Asian works-teams (for example KIA). Possibly ETCC's main sponsor LG from Korea was the driving force.
Whatever will happen, I expect the series to be "safe" in the next 2 or 3 years - especially with a fourth manufacturer (?) in 2004.
There already is, Skoda, BMW, Alfa Romeo and SEAT.