Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Jun 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3091687)   #626
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of the tunnel, one of our party were booked on the freight part with their vw transporter. There were 5 hour delays so they booked a last minute ferry. Hopefully it is back to normal of Sunday night as I have to be at work on Monday morning.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3091788)   #627
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, we're off the the circuit in a few minutes. Sky is brighter than it was an hour ago, but we still have some light precipitation. I won't be on here again until after the race - so all those who are here, have a great time and at least try to watch some of the race at night! For those back at home, watching and listening on whatever you are, I hope you really enjoy it too!
Old 16 Jun 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3092548)   #628
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
There are times when I don't like being a motorsport fan.

Like this morning when the 50 year old yuppie and his mate, obviously on their way to "the Great!! race" in a Ferari 430 decided to do what you see 18 years olds doing in Corsa or a Skyline with a dump valve.

And that is of course sitting back in traffic in the Hatfield tunnel traffic and then accelerating towards the white van repeatedley! To the collective noise of "Co*k"from all and sundry, I do hope he heard us all.

I was amused to sail past later on as he queued to get on the M25 in my Fabia with the ring sticker on the back!

Sadly, I know there would be thousands of people like this there thins weekend, and at Goodwood, and F1, and various other places!

Good luck to all of you and you yearly trek to the GREAT race Hope you enjoy the Co**ks as much as I do!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3066115...in/photostream
Old 17 Jun 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3093742)   #629
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With all the talk of reduced spectator numbers, another sign is that we had the quickest ever exit from the site after the race, barely any queue to get onto the dual carriageway at the football stadium, and then a clear run (no speeding, too many cops) to the tunnel by 1930. Just sat in the queue to board the train.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3093772)   #630
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We left moments after the cars crossed the line. We were parked in our hotel car park in 40 minutes - a journey that normally takes about 35 minutes........
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3093967)   #631
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
With all the talk of reduced spectator numbers, another sign is that we had the quickest ever exit from the site after the race, barely any queue to get onto the dual carriageway at the football stadium, and then a clear run (no speeding, too many cops) to the tunnel by 1930. Just sat in the queue to board the train.
same for us, we pottered around, went back to the van, tidied up, said our goodbyes, and cautiously left the campsite. to be greeted by empty roads.... we still had to wait till 2am for a ferry due to timetabling but that's a norfolkline/dfds trap i fall into every time i go away for the weekend!

i do think a lot of it is down to people staying the sunday night though. maison blanche was still 75% full when we left at about 6ish, maybe 30% of them were all packed up and having a beer before leaving.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3094197)   #632
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed a difference from Houx campsite. We leave it till today to head back, but last year I watched people queue for ages to get out of the site, this year there was no queue.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3094244)   #633
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I also saw a lot more empty spaces at Houx this year, which may explain why there was no queue!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3094378)   #634
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We left moments after the cars crossed the line. We were parked in our hotel car park in 40 minutes - a journey that normally takes about 35 minutes........
You were gone when i made my Way down to the track 15:10
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3094415)   #635
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, we had decided to go as soon as the cars crossed the line. Last year it was murder getting out of parking blanc, but this year we were straight out....

I'm posting this from Costa on the M27 where James has just deposited me ready to be picked up by my son, another James.....

What a fantastic 9 days! A huge thank you from me to James for making this such a great Le Mans for me and to both he and Tony for the super company!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3094448)   #636
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Tertre Rouge was considerably less full this year, but equally seemed to have a lot more people sticking around for the Sunday evening (maybe this was just a proportion thing).

Echo feel that the exit etc was a lot swifter, making me think the cunning routing through the Perche towards Evreux before tacking north may have been for nought (even if it did take us through some lovely bits of the world). By same token Carrefour at Calais this afternoon was pretty quiet, although the tunnel was as busy as I've ever seen it.

I'll be genuinely interested in what the crowd figures were for this year. On Saturday consensus seemed to be that it was well down on previous years, but eyeballing it, grandstands seemed full, the banking around the esses was full, and remained full until well into the night (to the extent I had to squabble for position at the far end of Tertre Rouge around 0200 or so), and walking along the tribunes at start finish at midnight it felt pretty full too.

Either way, was a cracking long weekend, which feels over far too quickly.

Roll on next year, or, at the very least, Donington and Silverstone.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3094983)   #637
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes tertre rouge was slightly less full this year but when we arrived on Wednesday there were more there already than last year, very few arrivals on thursday and I did not see anyone looking for spots on friday this year
Old 19 Jun 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3095081)   #638
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went into Le Mans town for a couple of hours on Saturday night (instead of the usual Friday) - something I haven't done for years. I remember it used to be really busy but this time it was eerily quiet - some of the restaurants where I used to be lucky to grab a table had only 4 or 5 tables occupied. Was something unusual going on and everyone went elsewhere, or was it just fewer people attending?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3095095)   #639
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we were planning to leave LeMans on Monday morning for our afternoon flights but we left actually Sunday evening for Paris but totally ignoring the highways .. if you're not in a hurry i highly recommend doing just that. it was brilliant going through all the villages on narrow roads avoiding wild rabbits crossing and we finally arrived in the outskirts of Paris around midnight.
will definitely doing something similar next year

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3095494)   #640
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre200 View Post
I went into Le Mans town for a couple of hours on Saturday night (instead of the usual Friday) - something I haven't done for years. I remember it used to be really busy but this time it was eerily quiet - some of the restaurants where I used to be lucky to grab a table had only 4 or 5 tables occupied. Was something unusual going on and everyone went elsewhere, or was it just fewer people attending?

Saturday night? Race night? Well I was watching the race......
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3095516)   #641
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Saturday night? Race night? Well I was watching the race......
How weird
Old 23 Jun 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3096713)   #642
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a moment of weakness... I did my penance at Tertre Rouge all night while my hungry mate (who persuaded me to go to town) slept in the car.

Am I forgiven?
Old 23 Jun 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3096727)   #643
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah sure.....