Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1271284)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gil de Ferran joins BAR as Sporting Director

He has become the sporting director of BAR accoring to autosport.com http://www.autosport-atlas.com/news.aspx?id=43387&s=9

Quote:
De Ferran, who is due to start work for the team next Monday, has been drafted in to help oversee BAR's activities during a race weekend. It is hoped that he will ease some of the pressures currently faced by CEO Nick Fry and BAR technical director Geoff Willis.
An interesting development. I wonder how he shall do. Good luck to him.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1271288)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whoa cool!
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1271289)   #3
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm really happy to see de Ferran get this oppurtunity. It's nice that Honda is rewarding his tremendous driving in Cart and the IRL with this job. Previously, he had been a commentator for the IRL, it left something to be desired.

I just hope he isn't savaged by the BAR politcal machine...
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1271291)   #4
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, can't read the article.
Any more specifics regarding his role other than 'oversee BAR's activities'
Sounds like a celebrity guest
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1271292)   #5
StickShift
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Damn, can't read the article.
Any more specifics regarding his role other than 'oversee BAR's activities'
Sounds like a celebrity guest
http://www.autosport-atlas.com/News.aspx?id=43387&s=5

Quote:
De Ferran will take a hands-on role in running the cars over a Grand Prix weekend - getting involved in the procedural and strategy decisions that Willis was previously overseeing.
And Sato's new spotter probably... "Car on your left Taku... Aye-yae-yae!"

Last edited by StickShift; 5 Apr 2005 at 22:07.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1271296)   #6
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ta.
& tee hee.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1271311)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good grief. Is this for real? Gil is/was arguably one of the best open-wheel drivers never to race in F1. He was terrific. Does he have any experience at all of this sort of role, though?

Pitpass: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24040
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1271318)   #8
StickShift
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testure
Good grief. Is this for real? Gil is/was arguably one of the best open-wheel drivers never to race in F1. He was terrific. Does he have any experience at all of this sort of role, though?

Pitpass: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24040
If his role in the team is to oversee GP weekend strategy, I'd argue that his time in CART and the IRL is excellent experience for the job. In general, pit strategy in those two series are much more vital than they are in F1. Many races have been won by excellent pit strategy.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1271324)   #9
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why.....why, why!?

This is quite brainless. a nonsensical. What qualifications does De Ferran have for this job?

Other than Honda quite like him.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1271332)   #10
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
If his role in the team is to oversee GP weekend strategy, I'd argue that his time in CART and the IRL is excellent experience for the job. In general, pit strategy in those two series are much more vital than they are in F1. Many races have been won by excellent pit strategy.
Yeah, absolutely. But he wasn't necessarily the one making the calls, was he? He's an awesome driver and I really, really hope this doesn't turn out to be a bad idea for him...
Old 6 Apr 2005, 00:47 (Ref:1271368)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I thought it was a joke when I first read the article..They know something we don't is all I can say..Good luck to Gil de Ferran
Old 6 Apr 2005, 04:27 (Ref:1271444)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you know there are some drivers like hakkinen that are brillant at racing but not much else. De ferran is a pretty smart guy as well as having that first hand racing experience which most of the pit lane jockeys lack. I think he'll do great.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 04:39 (Ref:1271449)   #13
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gil De Ferra has a degree in engineering.I don't think they'd hire him if he didn't have the qualifications for the job.I think he'll be great for BAR,he's funny,he should be able to get the dis out of the fuctional in BAR right now.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1271466)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gil de Ferran's wife is English - it may fit in with the family's wish to move back to the UK.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1271737)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The more I think about this it seems like a decision far too smart for some tenthers to appreciate. US racing can be much mroe strategic than ours, and he's bound to be able to make good calls regarding pitting under safety cars and making the best use of restarts in particular. The fact that he hasn't raced in F1 means nothing - Eddie Jordan, Frank Williams and even bernie were all good drivers who didn't make it to F1, and they've done extremely well (better than Prost or Lauda, certainly).
Old 6 Apr 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1271768)   #16
Kraz
Rookie

Kraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the addition of Gil De Feran to BAR is positive. I think it will be good for Sato and JB to discuss race strategy/tactics with a knowledgable driver.

However, unless BARS mechanical problems can be sorted out Gil may only be able to help the drivers decide what side of the track to park the car.

Last edited by Kraz; 6 Apr 2005 at 15:01.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1271849)   #17
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard Nick Fry likes to work more on the background, so I think De Ferran will be guy to be seen more publically, like on interviews and such.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 6 Apr 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1271853)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That would work well, as from what I remember Gil is a very popular and charismatic chap, he's a very multiliterate and multinational character (born in Paris, of Spanish ancestry, raised in Brazil and married to an Englishwoman) so he's a good PR figurehead. Not to say that he can't add lots of the team's efforts at the same time though.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1271867)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure of the full scope of sporting director, but De Faren was well known for being stratagic while driving. He's smart and stikes me as a nice guy, something F1 is really short of.

Maybe his first call as sporting director and most valuable contribution will be for him to drive as teammate to Button. I'm joking, but De Faren was one heck of a driver.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1272086)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I hope he does better with BAR than he has done with the IRL in the announcing booth! Pretty awful all-in-all.

Comments like, "this is to scary, I can't watch", or "ooooohhh, there to close", just wasn't cutting it!

Good luck Gil.

Danica Patrick
Old 6 Apr 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1272121)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wish Gil succeeds. He was a favourite of mine when racing and it's great that he'll be around here these days
Old 7 Apr 2005, 02:01 (Ref:1272176)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Good luck to Gil in what seems to be a bit of a shark tank at BAR.

He is a smart guy, a good racer and just might be what they need: someone to interface with the drivers and engineers.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1274694)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gil de Ferran was a development driver from early in his career, and has done a lot of the testing work with Honda; he's well known as a man who knows more about tires than they are round and black; and except for two times I have not heard him publically dissing even the worst car he's had or the dumb questions he has been asked. (The time when Bobby Unser asked him why, since "you're being paid the Big Bucks", the drivers didn't want to drive in a torrential rainstorm in Vancouver, de Ferran said tartly "That is the stupidest question I have ever heard" and walked away leaving Unser with his mouth flapping like a fish.)

Gil has been very quiet over his career, not blowing a trumpet about what he is doing, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with this new challenge.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 00:22 (Ref:1277670)   #24
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One never wants to come into an organization at the top of it's game. Who would want to succeed Jean Todt or Flavio ? The only way to go is down, and you suffer by comparison.

Gil's no fool. He recognizes that BAR is a ship on the rocks. Honda must be considering Hara-Kari given Toyota's success. ANY improvement at all and he'll look good. Lets face it, the only way to go is up for BAR. Minardi's had better reliability.......

Good move, Gil !
Old 20 Apr 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1282835)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thread bit old now but i'm secrelty hoping that he can help massage his Penske buddy Helio's path into F1 before it's too late! Maybe not with BAR but somewhere?!