Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Sep 2002, 21:26 (Ref:377654)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 917 rediscovered

..in a barn (or garage, or shed?) in France - genuine 917, genuine "Le Mans" movie car
http://www.porsche917.com.ar/miscgranero.htm
The restoration process will presumably be covered on http://www.cknet.org.uk
Old 10 Sep 2002, 21:31 (Ref:377664)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love it, Cy, absolutely love it!

(Particularly "Mouses (!) lived in the cockpit and eat (!) big parts of it" - classic indeed.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 21:36 (Ref:377672)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow - lets home the restored car will be at Le Mans next year
Old 10 Sep 2002, 21:43 (Ref:377683)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately it says its going to take 3 years to restore it!
Old 10 Sep 2002, 21:49 (Ref:377686)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
oh well we will have wait until 2005 - oh thats the year Porshe are going make a comeback ! ! ! !
Old 10 Sep 2002, 22:43 (Ref:377726)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
oh well we will have wait until 2005 - oh thats the year Porshe are going make a comeback ! ! ! !
...you mean - with this?
Introducing the all new Porsche 917/05 LM-GTP...
Old 11 Sep 2002, 02:06 (Ref:377796)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
classiccars.com has some history of the car, but it's not reliable. The following info does not match up with their wspr-racing.com database, and in fact it seems that they've confused chassis 24 and 25.

1970:
It first shows up at Imola 500km in September. Ran #8, DNF. In October, ran at Montlhéry, finished 3rd. Entered in the Paris 1000km, but DNS (#4).

1971:
Buenos Aires 1000km it wore #38, finished 4th. (Le Mans PQ) Monza 1000km, finished 6th (#5). DNF at Spa 1000km. DNF at Le Mans.

All run under the Zitro banner.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:52 (Ref:377908)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else think it strange that a car as well documented as a 917 can go missing, if you read the fourm at the 917 page listed by cyber's then the owner was known in 1991 (a Mr Puris) this chassis no. 24 does not seem to have much of a racing history, having only appeared at the test day and them for filming, and was not lost, more not seen since then.
Perhaps Paulzino needs to look in his dads garage for a missing 962

Last edited by Nordic; 11 Sep 2002 at 11:58.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:07 (Ref:377915)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Perhaps Paulzino needs to look in his dads garage for a missing 962
...and the rest of the team! "So that's where those cries for help have been coming from all this time!"
No, I'm sure they tidy their garage up every couple of decades...
Old 11 Sep 2002, 18:44 (Ref:378163)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

...and the rest of the team! "So that's where those cries for help have been coming from all this time!"
No, I'm sure they tidy their garage up every couple of decades...
Well I can assure you the garage isn't full of model 962's.

(Sorry Paul, below the belt - but couldn't resist it!!)
Old 11 Sep 2002, 19:35 (Ref:378204)   #11
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you were Tim would you let Paul know where the 962's were hidden ????? Has anyone done a check on the chassis numbers recently ????

Regarding the 917 though, this was not lost, just abandoned. Still it is his loss, a well kept 917 sells for ??? A mice infested 917 sells for a heck of a lot less. I guess that everyone thought that the owner was polishing the car everyday in a garage, not leaving it as a rodent home.

Makes you wonder what else is out there. Maybe it is time for a trace on cars to be made, going on from the other thread in Historics about what happens to old racecars.

Simon
Old 11 Sep 2002, 19:46 (Ref:378216)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SL

Makes you wonder what else is out there. Maybe it is time for a trace on cars to be made, going on from the other thread in Historics about what happens to old racecars.

Simon

Mmmm. I must admit that the first thing I do when I pick up a copy of Classic and Sportscar at the dentist (yes, my dentist has good taste in reading material, fortunately!), is to turn to the "lost and found" (or whatever they're called) pics and stories. I find them absolutely fascinating. And I'm sure you're absolutely right Simon, there must be some classic racecars mouldering away out there - usually in places you never would have expected. Sadly, there are no 70's Ferrari's or Porsches sitting at the bottom of my garden (but I'm going to have to shift that ex-Team Davey Tiga, I need somewhere for the mower and the strimmer!)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 11 Sep 2002 at 19:46.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 19:57 (Ref:378226)   #13
SL
Veteran

There is a fantastic thread on At**s about ex drivers and their whereabouts. After all what do you do if you do not quite make it ? Same probably for cars after all what do you do with a lump of metal that came last time after time and you a broke ?

Simon
Old 11 Sep 2002, 20:04 (Ref:378232)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

Mmmm. I must admit that the first thing I do when I pick up a copy of Classic and Sportscar at the dentist (yes, my dentist has good taste in reading material, fortunately!), is to turn to the "lost and found" (or whatever they're called) pics and stories. I find them absolutely fascinating. And I'm sure you're absolutely right Simon, there must be some classic racecars mouldering away out there - usually in places you never would have expected. Sadly, there are no 70's Ferrari's or Porsches sitting at the bottom of my garden (but I'm going to have to shift that ex-Team Davey Tiga, I need somewhere for the mower and the strimmer!)

If you need a home for the Tiga then drop it round to mine
Old 11 Sep 2002, 20:27 (Ref:378252)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Just don't ask what's in the Tiga's tank!
Old 11 Sep 2002, 21:17 (Ref:378298)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

Rust, perchance?
Old 11 Sep 2002, 21:28 (Ref:378308)   #17
SL
Veteran

Just might be the key's.......

Rust, perchance?

In an alloy tank ????
Old 12 Sep 2002, 06:18 (Ref:378502)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SL

Rust, perchance?

In an alloy tank ????

OK. You got me there!
Old 12 Sep 2002, 06:33 (Ref:378507)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Impressive car, anyway, and I love the painting (well, when refurbished !).

I'm asking to myself why the 917 has so much fans... much more, it seems, than the other cars of this period...

The GT40, particulary, seems forbidden, and some Ferraris too... well, performances couldn't be compare with the 917, but we love jalopies (I(m not talking about the GT40 and Ferraris !!!) too, don't we ?

Last edited by Fab; 12 Sep 2002 at 06:34.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 08:44 (Ref:378556)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
The GT40, particulary, seems forbidden
Really?
http://www.gt40.org.uk/
http://www.gt40.co.uk/
http://www.gt40club.clara.net/
http://www.gt40s.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~prater/GT40/GT40.html
to name but a few
Old 12 Sep 2002, 08:49 (Ref:378557)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Consider my previous posting as canceled !

I just noticed that we speak more about the 917 here in the forum than about other legendary cars... but I admit I spoked too fast !

Last edited by Fab; 12 Sep 2002 at 08:51.