Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 31 Dec 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1802456)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watkins Glen

I just hate that chicane at the end of the straight, so I came up with this solution...

what do you think?
Old 2 Jan 2007, 05:16 (Ref:1803171)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's better, but two things ought to allow the track to return to its former layout (no chicane at all). First, make sure the guardrail is close in along the outside of the carousel, and that it has a soft barrier in front of it. This prevents a car from launching off the outside of Turn 5, and massively dimishes impact forces along there.

Second, for all series in which it is pertinent, there needs to be a stipulation regarding pitch sensitivity (there should be such rules in place anyway for universal safety reasons). This would effectively put to an end the risk of cars lifting off before they reach Turn 5.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1812451)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the shape of this classic track should not be altered, but instead the safety measures in and around the runoff areas updated and/or increased. I don't know what they have there in that regard at the time, but I remember from somewhere that the state of the track was somewhat 1980s-style still. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Bernie Ecclestone stated in an interview last year that of all tracks where F1 used to race, Watkins Glen still owes them money after all these years?
So my guess is that they decided for the chicane, because it's cheap.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:25 (Ref:1812541)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Im pretty sure there was some sort of falling out between Bernie and the track, and after F1 left (and has shown no indication of coming back), there really is no reason for The Glen to pay up now.

The chicane was prompted by two crashes. Tommy Kendall in an IMSA GTP crashed at the Carousel in 1991, and J.D. McDuffie was killed when he crashed at the same point in the 1991 NASCAR Winston Cup race (McDuffie had a major brake/wheel issue, the car lifted off, and landed roof-first on the outside guardrail.).

My comments about a soft wall close in in that turn and aerodynamic pitch sensitivity were in response to those two incidents.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1812593)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Second, for all series in which it is pertinent, there needs to be a stipulation regarding pitch sensitivity (there should be such rules in place anyway for universal safety reasons). This would effectively put to an end the risk of cars lifting off before they reach Turn 5.
It's a nice idea but you need to think about how you're actually going to do it.
a) How will you measure it on a static racing car?
b) Where will you draw the line to say what is dangerous and what isn't?
c) How will you be sure that 'unusual' circumstances won't interfere and blow your careful regulations away on the wind (pun intended).

Very few cars have been fundamentally aerodynamically unstable, the early Porsche 917s come to mind, but even the Merc GTR needed a great big hump in the road and a tow to take off.
All racing cars, provided the right circumstances, can take off, and it's really outside regulation.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1812714)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
A lot would be up to windtunnel testing.

But for starters, set a minimum relative up angle that the car must be able to operate at without "blowing over" (producing more lift than its own weight). Ban "flat bottoms", at least on the higher downforce machinery (LMPs, GT1s, CART, F1, etc.). I think there have already been some changes to undertray parameters for sportscars to minimize problems if the car gets sideways. It might also be worth considering a roof flap system of some form for the enclosed cars.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1814567)   #7
CampDaddy1990
Rookie

United States
Westville, Illinois
CampDaddy1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason, I really like this idea of a reconfigured Watkins Glen.

BTW, NASCAR does use roof flaps, and they work most of the time. I wonder why the Rolex Sports Car Series doesn't use them...

-Ken Squier announcing the 1979 Daytona 500
Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1814743)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as a circuit is in use it is ok to change it, I wouldnt mind changing the nordschlife, as long as it can hold some touringcar or F3 or Gt Races.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1815141)   #9
CampDaddy1990
Rookie

United States
Westville, Illinois
CampDaddy1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
As long as a circuit is in use it is ok to change it, I wouldnt mind changing the nordschlife, as long as it can hold some touringcar or F3 or Gt Races.
It would not work because there is no way to shorten the length of the track without the track losing its luster.

Anyways, getting back on topic, that new Turn 5 area proposal at The Glen would be an evil monster in the rain.

-Ken Squier announcing the 1979 Daytona 500