Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Mar 2003, 03:56 (Ref:521109)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trans-Am II

What trans-am car would you like to see in the series no that Gentilozzi is controlling it for the better(?) or worse. Too many Jags, I would love to see a Lexus Coupe the SC430 homologated, and the new GTO from pontiac -nee Holden Monaro. A DTM Mercedes, and Audi TT...any thoughts
Old 1 Mar 2003, 13:29 (Ref:521386)   #2
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Let's hope that the T/A becomes more DTM like under Paul G. Multivalve motors is a good start towards that.

It suffered under Panoz and Co., but I am encouraged about the potential for the T/A now that people who know what they are doing are in charge.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 06:57 (Ref:522109)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two Japanese cars come to mind, the 350Z and the Mazda RX-8. I would really like to see a Ferrari 360 also. As for American Iron the GTO would be great. The Camaro and Firebird probably won't be around a whole lot longer, because they are out of production(makes me sad!) We'll need more American iron, Dodge Avenger maybe?, Cadillac CTS?

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Mar 2003, 16:40 (Ref:522419)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

The cadilac would be nice, as a dodge- yes the nissan, although fears of to good a car come to mind...As far as ferrari go it must be front engined so a V8 maranello would have to do (sacrelige!) An aston martin to take on Jag would be nice, as would a BMW coupe, the list...If i recall Panoz when in control, had a list of approved bodies and aeropeices for said bodies, they had the Audi a4,Mercedes E coupes ala' DTM, BMW, Vipers...
Old 2 Mar 2003, 16:57 (Ref:522434)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doh! I did mean the Ferrari 550 Maranello, not the 360! Probably to expensive for T/A racing though.

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Mar 2003, 17:47 (Ref:522515)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
it must be front engined
Why is that, btw - there used to be 911s in TransAm. What sort of problem does TA have with not-front-engined cars these days?

As for making TransAm an American DTM: don't. The DTM is one of the least interesting series this side of the Atlantic.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 19:35 (Ref:522604)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

well front engined was introduced as i understand, because of porsche being too good, and mid engined to nimble as well. The powers wanted a "pure" raing front engine rear drive, proper cars. I really don see- excuses as affordability and more makes was the idea, Now it shouldn't be a DTM for here, I would likely be frantic as it is and hectic racing, the body/aero package suggexted was like V8stars or DTM... If some one can find the images of the Approved bodies (lost from the TA website) than you can see, the V8stars and DTM similarities. I think it might work in places like a street circuit, but trans am is nice rough and rowdy business
Old 2 Mar 2003, 20:36 (Ref:522655)   #8
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see why noone has thought about this except for me........

The BEST new car for TA is...
A Ford Thunderbird!!!
Georgious, front engined, rear wheel drive. Perfect car.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 05:23 (Ref:524142)   #9
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most people seemed fixated on what TA is now rather than what it was back in the day. Speed Challenge GT is more of what trans am was 30 years ago, merely hightly modified prod cars. Paul G. needs to make Trans Am more like the GT1 class of the SCCA. Panoz group made it too expensive for GT1 teams to make the jump like they used to in bygone years. If they make it more afforadable and the top GT1 teams filter in, then the feilds will be bigger and more interesting. GT1 teams were in past year allowed a break in entry fee to run TA races at their home races I believe, weren't they? And the entry fees were small. Another problem with TA is they lose racepromoters and tracks alot of money. One reason they won't be back at VIR this year. VIR took it up the bumm on the sanction fees and lost alot of money on them. Personally I think it shouldn't be up to the tracks to support the pro series'. I like what VIR did in not letting them back. If you can't make your own money then you shouldn't exist.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 05:23 (Ref:526309)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

the VIR race was magic, sad they won't return gorgeous track, they should hit the Road Courses all over the US-Road America,Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, Rd. Atlanta, Sears point, VIR, Mid-Ohio, IRP, Sebring,LimeRockPark, have I missed any good ones? This is what Trans -AM should do and allow GT1, and let in a few of the new body styles...I had thought of the Thunderbird for the TA series, but how would it stack up against the Mustang which is a staple here. or it pretends to be.-and where did the PAnoz go?
Old 7 Mar 2003, 15:17 (Ref:527842)   #11
full throttle
Racer

full throttle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob:

I agree, if you can't make your own money don't let T-A in!
VIR ia a great venue but didn't draw many people. Having said that, there are 11-12 races on the T-A schedule that can/will make money on T-A this year, and have in the past.
Not solely a T-A problem, the tracks must take their fair share of the blame as well. The promotion for a lot of these events is non-existant! T-A does bear some of that blame, as do the tracks.

It is a sad fact that in todays world, everyone wants a 'big winner' first time out. VIR may have been one of those tracks. If you have no prior history for the event and you don't extensively promote, chances are you will be disappointed. Look at tracks like Lime Rock and Road America. T-A is a long standing tradition and well attended. But it takes time to 'grow' an event, time that many in todays hi-stakes entertainment world don't want to invest. I'm not blaming anyone at VIR or anywhere else for that matter, just pointing out a different view of things.