Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Aug 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1057404)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2005 LMP1 restrictions

According to DSC the manufactuers and teams have been sent a dossier asking them to choose which restrictions they would prefer in 2005, for the pre 2004 LMP1 cars.

They are:-

1) a 10mm plank

or

2) a restrictor cut and 50kg ballast.

Apparently No.2 is the favoured option.

Its good to see the ACO are actually consulting the teams in this area. Maybe they have been watching and learning from the ALMS

It appears on the surface that these changes would allow the new LMP1 cars (NASAMAX, Courage LC, Lister?) to compete for overall wins, while still allowing the likes of Rollcentre, Creation, Audi etc. to be fully competitive.

According to Autosport Audi will not go down the hybrid route, and I cannot envisage any other teams doing so either.

Hopefully these changes will give all of the manufactuers and teams the breathing space to build and purchase new LMP1 cars.

Last edited by JAG; 5 Aug 2004 at 20:05.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1057409)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ballast and restrictors is certainly easier than changing the aero geometry of the car with a plank...

I agree...that should definitely but the builders the time needed to produce new specs. cars...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1057411)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Note... not applicable for ALMS races.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1057427)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes...they have announced that for the ALMS, 2003 regs will remain in place through 2005....

But for an ALMS team to make the changes for Le Mans, we'll see all of them go to the ballast and restrictors for obvious reasons...

Thats for raising that point, Fogelhund...I forgot to put it into my post...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 5 Aug 2004 at 20:30.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 07:06 (Ref:1057850)   #5
MorganFan
Rookie

MorganFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of the teams with "new" cars are not too happy about this. Apparantly, Jon McNeil from Nasamax was reported to have said that the "old" cars should be forced to run with the plank, as that was the biggest performance limiting factor/difference between the old and new cars.

Going down the restrictors/weighting route seems to ensure that the R9 won't be around until 2006, so expect the R8 to win LM again next year!!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:10 (Ref:1057943)   #6
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ACO's rulings make about as much sense as putting out a fire with gasoline.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1057957)   #7
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see what the performance implications will be on the R8 engine having to run with a smaller restrictor.

The restrictors are already the current limiting factor to it's top speed...so expect to see awesome traction out of corners with the torque, but a bit wheezy at the top end.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1058456)   #8
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was Courage or anyone else that spent money to build a car to the new spcs, I would be extremely upset
Old 6 Aug 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1058614)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MorganFan
Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of the teams with "new" cars are not too happy about this. Apparantly, Jon McNeil from Nasamax was reported to have said that the "old" cars should be forced to run with the plank, as that was the biggest performance limiting factor/difference between the old and new cars.
He actually said he was happy with either option, as long as the other teams were happy, and belived the restrictions were fair.

Looking at the improving performance of the NASAMAX/Courage C65 it wouldn't be long until they were challenging the best of the rest behind the Audis and Zyteks.

As I understand it, NASMAX will have a totally new chassis in 2006 so I'm sure they are just happy to have a head start on the other teams with new regs cars.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1058621)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
If I was Courage or anyone else that spent money to build a car to the new spcs, I would be extremely upset
Why?

A new reg car is almost as quick as the old car right now. With these changes the 2004 cars will be at least equal with the 2003 cars. I'm sure the new Courage LMP1 will be a frontrunner next season.

To Fieldgate:-

Are Rollcentre, and the other teams you have spoken too happy with the proposed changes. Afterall no major changes will be required, and the current cars will remain competitive for at least another year, which you must be happy about.