Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1246732)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Karthikeyan - "I'm bigger than Michael"

(Shades of the Beatles here.) Narain has claimed that he already has more fans than Michael, based on the population and enthusiasm of India's people. This sums up to me why it's great news that he's in F1, and even better news that he was so impressive on his debut. It's really nice to see F1 become more global and diverse, especially if Narain can become a genuine contender.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1246735)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

His comments were tongue in cheek, before he gets bashed, but India is a huge population, potentially a huge market, and great to have involved in F1.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1246752)   #3
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not.

And if he's anything to go by new drivers who been at Jordan the last 2 years he could be forgotten by this time next year

Last edited by Formula1Fanatic; 8 Mar 2005 at 15:24.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1246776)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if he has more fans or not, but he surely has one billion+ potential fan-base. The 'bigger' part in the title might be misleading, but he surely has a valid point.

PS: Any link to that article please?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1246778)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=42331&s=5
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1246782)   #6
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he is famous for being India's only F1 driver to date. But I think he should start making good of it and get down to work. He was really throwing the car around all weekend.
It seemed like he really pushed hard or else he found the car hard to control. When he got it right he was very fast but when he didnt he was on the grass or spinning. I think we might have a similiar case here to Takumo Sato so lets see if his engine lasts in Malaysia.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1246783)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Bah, any other? (I ain't bothering to register at autosport )
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1246796)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't remember where I saw this to be honest. I think his words were 'more famous' rather than 'bigger', and as KB says this wasn't meant as a dig at him.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1246797)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

He says he is "more popular" than Schumacher, in the sense that more people in India recognise him.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1246798)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah...potentially he has the biggest fan following...but thats in one country... MS does have a more diverse fan-base....

Last edited by ralf fan; 8 Mar 2005 at 16:26.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1246812)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Thanks, precisely what I suspected. (and he's correct too)
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1246817)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
(Shades of the Beatles here.) Narain has claimed that he already has more fans than Michael,
Michael who?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1246818)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Don't forget about all the people of Indian ancestry in other countries - those are often successful and upwardly-mobile people who could make big supporters of F1 and racing in general.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1246838)   #14
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only kicking-back seems to be getting the right end of the stick here. For those that don't know him, Narain has a brilliant, wicked and p***-taking sense of humour. Apart from the fact that he's Indian, there's another damn good reason for him to be in F1!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1246853)   #15
Extra Rib
Rookie

Extra Rib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must be missing something here - that sounds very different to the Narain that I remember from British F3 - some of his race weekends were awesome but for all the wrong reasons
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1246877)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The guys talented so give him a break Ribby boy.

He better be careful with his comments though. F1 people might think he has a sense of humour.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1246881)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

He does.

Very dry humour usually, like me.

Often taken the wrong way, particularly in print, but at second reading is hilarious.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1246885)   #18
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bless him - (Narain not K-B - oh! all righ then K-B an' all - I'm getting soft in my old age).

mumble, mumble mumble....................
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1246886)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

He spoke of expectations in a recent interview and said the Indian fans were clued up enough to realise he's not likely to win in a Jordan.

Cricket's a whole different ball game, of course...
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1246907)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Very dry humour usually, like me.
What are you talking about?

What sense of humour?

Only kidding KB, you know I am...
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1246909)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
It's not his fault, really. It's the journalists who love to twist statements. (that's why I wanted to read the original link).
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1247126)   #22
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Michael who?
Yessssssssss!! Love it Adam!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1247130)   #23
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's also a polite chap, too.

I wished him good luck for Malaysia after the race as he left the circuit, walking away from the pit paddock.

He turned around and said "thank you".

Not so many drivers will take the time to do that.

He came across a bit arrogant with the fans as he normally just went straight in to the pit paddock and we're all thinking, you're driving for Jordan, you're a rookie, why don't you interact with the fans a little? But I think he might be a little shy. Could I be right?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1247154)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
It's not his fault, really. It's the journalists who love to twist statements. (that's why I wanted to read the original link).

It wasn't twisted, it was a factual report.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1247173)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember Narain from when he first started racing in England- a lovely lad who I would like to see do well.