Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Sep 2003, 05:51 (Ref:718077)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART to race in Korea!?

From the Sundaymail.news.com:http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...5E2765,00.html
Quote:
The Surfers Paradise race's future appears to be set in concrete with Weathered Howe revealing its involvement in a planned Korean race.
Quote:
One of the few downsides of the Coast race has been transporting the American teams to Australia.
Quote:
Organisers had hoped Japan might host an event to spread the travelling costs
Quote:
Weathered Howe chief executive officer Chris Hamon said the Coast company was negotiating with a private-public Korean consortium for an Indy race in Seoul from 2005.

Last edited by Dov; 14 Sep 2003 at 05:56.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 06:34 (Ref:718117)   #2
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Korea, eh? Not bad. It would likely be a very successful event right from the beginning.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 08:29 (Ref:718217)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is CART popular in Korea, that's the only thing I wonder?

Plus, the cost would come into effect. Would it be straight after/before Gold Coast Indy?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 10:58 (Ref:718328)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They would be popular there if you put a Hyundai engine in the back.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Sep 2003, 15:37 (Ref:718553)   #5
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Encouraging the likes of Hyundai to participate. Now there's an idea Given that they want to establish themselves as a serious worldclass manufacturer this makes a lot of practical sense
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:52 (Ref:718785)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The article states, "Weathered Howe chief executive officer Chris Hamon said the Coast company was negotiating with a private-public Korean consortium for an Indy race in Seoul from 2005."

It does not say that CART is negotiating with anyone.

So perhaps "negotiating" was the wrong word? Perhaps Seoul is "getting pointers" from the Coast organizers, in the hopes that they will be able to provide CART with a sound platform in their attempts to lure the series?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 20:00 (Ref:718795)   #7
Russfeldo
Rookie

Russfeldo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why doesnt CART just linkup with the Korean F3 race?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 21:06 (Ref:718835)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Q: Is Hyundai Korea's only major engine manufacturer? And how 'bout tires?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 21:28 (Ref:718851)   #9
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I suppose they also have Daewoo and Kia... If anything, the series would benefit most if it attracted sponsors from Korea. Major technology companies like Samsung and LG would look good on Champ Cars. Of course, that's why they went to Europe wasn't it...
Old 14 Sep 2003, 21:41 (Ref:718856)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good idea if they do a 3 week stint, Australia, Korea Japan and then back to the states, would be too bad
and getting Hyundai involved in the engines or even a chassis builder might be pretty neato. they do have turbo experience...
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:10 (Ref:718883)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt CART could afford to go to Korea and Japan besides going to Austrailia.....so it would be either Austrailia and Korea or Austrailia and Japan.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:18 (Ref:718890)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Australia + Korea / Australia + Japan...
Would you like my heart to answer? Or my brain?
They tell me two different things.

Personally, I think that looking into 2005 and beyond requires a crystal ball. Everything that I thought would happen this year... didn't.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:20 (Ref:718893)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've really got to be kidding. Is CART in any shape to go around the world gambling on new venues right now? They can't even afford to go back to Europe next season, where we already know they like CART, is very race friendly, and would have far better odds of success than Korea!

They need to figure out a solid strategy for North America first before they look to long shots like Korea. Attract big American sponsorship, some good, young talented American drivers, more chassis makers and watch this series go back to there glory days. Of course, this is only IMHO! LOL!

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:25 (Ref:718896)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Sign a contract to supply something...
We'll race in your country.

Either that, or pay for the shipping-and-handling!
Old 14 Sep 2003, 23:59 (Ref:718953)   #15
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a good chance that OWRS (exCART) will go to Korea in '05 ?!

First of all - we need to keep in mind that OWRS has promised (in their SEC filings) that they shall continue with the series along the same path that Pook's "Vision" has taken it - ie: new engine formula in '06 - and that will require returning to racing in Europe and elsewhere... Hyundai/KIA have been lookng into coming to CART when the new engines kick in since last year - before Pook switched back to turbos... and in order to get any new engine manufacturers - racing in their respective countries will be one of the requirements...

zerO
Old 15 Sep 2003, 00:31 (Ref:718980)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't get any better than a battle royale between Hyundai, Daewoo, and Kia!

On a related note, the only idiot who believed the Kia rumor was none other than Jack Arute.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 02:24 (Ref:719038)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as they can guarentee a big crowd then sounds like a great idea. If they can get a race crowd of 100k then they'll make much needed money for CART and it will be well worth it.

FYI: GM bought Daewoo and Hyundai bought Kia.
IMO Hyundai has a lot to gain by being in CART. Hyundai has a image problem that's not longer just. The produce cars of equal or better quality to GM and Ford now, so they need to dispell the myth that their brand is somehow inferrior.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:07 (Ref:719616)   #18
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
It can't get any better than a battle royale between Hyundai, Daewoo, and Kia!

On a related note, the only idiot who believed the Kia rumor was none other than Jack Arute.

Hey Corky,
Hyundai and KIA are part of the same company.

Hyundai already has a big presence in US motorsports - rallying and off-road racing... KIA, on the other hand, has been outselling (in US) Hyundai models lately and are about to introduce their sports/luxury line... so, a Lola-KIA in '06 is a possibility... then we can start all the "Killed In Action" jokes... hihihaha...

zerO
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:03 (Ref:719679)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't Hyundai related to DC?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:28 (Ref:719709)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I can see it now...