Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 8 Jul 2003, 20:19 (Ref:656199)   #1
RacerLaxOtaku
Rookie

RacerLaxOtaku should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrow Karts

Are they any good?what does CIK mean, is that for bigger/heavier people? also, can a Yamaha YZ85 or a YZ125 go with it/ is there a big difference between them? sorry, but i've never been karting before so i don't know much about it.

well i'm at it, will tracks take that kart/engine combo?

THANKS.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 01:44 (Ref:656422)   #2
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lot of this depends on where you live and that would help the people from the area to include some comments that might help
Old 9 Jul 2003, 01:56 (Ref:656426)   #3
RacerLaxOtaku
Rookie

RacerLaxOtaku should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in Virginia, thanks avsfan733.

Last edited by RacerLaxOtaku; 9 Jul 2003 at 01:59.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:46 (Ref:656525)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I used to own an Arrow AX6 for sprint kart racing (100cc yamaha engine) , I dont know anything about superkarts or shifter karts as they are known , but Arrows sprint karts are very good, they are Australian built and have won many Australian titles.

if you would like to read more on them go to www.arrowkarts.com.au which should help you out a bit more.

I can personally vouch for their AX6 chassis , it was brilliant but they are up to their AX8 now which i have no idea about.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:47 (Ref:656526)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
P.S welcome to ten tenths by the way
Old 9 Jul 2003, 07:38 (Ref:656565)   #6
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrow do a AX8 125 chassis and its a very nice peice of kit

Two of my friends used AX6 CIK chassis and ran YZ250 motors on them they did adapt on front brakes and I ran one at a two day event,considering the motor was double the HP the chassis was designed for it handled very nicely.

CIK chassis is either bigger tube diameter or thicker wall, can't remember which and designed for higher HP motors like the rotary or reed valve 100cc rather than the KT
Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:14 (Ref:657027)   #7
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
yelodwg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RacerLaxOtaku, while Marcus got rid of his AX6 - Hi Marcus, wish you still had it ? -, I still have mine and love it! Handles great, a strong chassis. I race HPV which is a 100cc engine.

You need to go to your local tracks where you will be racing and see what engines (and chassis) they run there. Then pick an engine (chassis) from those.

If you want to learn to drive and get the basics down so you can progress to a shifter, then I would suggest you start with a clutch kart. While I highly recommend an Arrow kart, make certain that the chassis is supported by a dealer at or near the track(s) you will be attending. It is very important that whatever chassis you get, you will be able to have someone knowledgeable help you and to get parts from. This applies to engines as well.

Go to a kart school, pay the $, and learn the basics on how to drive a kart. Go to the tracks, ask LOTS of questions, ask lots of questions here, THEN you will be informed enough as to what kart to buy. I KNOW you want a kart so badly right now, but the research will save you much money down the road. I know of people who have rushed into buying a kart/engine that ended up spending more $ than they would have if they took the time to do their research.

I would also suggest getting a used kart for your first kart. If you buy a brand new kart, it will turn into a used kart in a very short time, after you take it on the track and you spin out a few times

Correct me if I'm incorrect on any of this, so here goes: CIK stands for "Commission Internationale de Karting" and is the governing body for karting rules that are followed by organizations throughout the world, but obviously, not everybody subscribes to their rules. CIK "homologates" (homologate means to approve, especially to confirm officially) chassis, engines, etc. so that they are approved for use in the karting series that follow CIK rules. Arrow has received CIK approval for their AX8 32/32 and 32/30 chassis. Marcus, anyone else, did that make sense?

Yes, go to the link that Marcus posted: http://www.arrowkarts.com.au/

Tom Stephens
www.kartfinder.com
www.tvracer.com

Last edited by yelodwg; 9 Jul 2003 at 16:22.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 00:15 (Ref:657490)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I think your right on the CIK thing , if your chassis is CIK approved then you can run a CIK approved series which most of the big ones are I believe , such as world championships and the like , so if your planning an international karting career then a CIK chassis is the way to go.

and yes i wish i still had my AX6 , at least just go for a blast every now and then to satisfy the bug ive got

oh well have to settle for PC and Playstation 2 games for now i guess.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 14:40 (Ref:657943)   #9
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
yelodwg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus, used AX-6's are lurking out there just waiting for you

Tom