Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3214007)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Different Things to do at Le Mans 2013.....or 2014....!

All of those who go to Le Mans every year have perhaps become guilty of doing the same things each year and not trying to find new activities, My regular things excluding watching the race and practice sessions always include the following
Thursday trip to local villages then Lemans city centre
Friday visit to St Saturin classic car show then pit walk/visit
Saturday Tenths meet then some years I visit the museum before the race start

So lets see if anyone has new things that others might like to try
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3214020)   #2
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I usually go for a nice refreshing swim two mornings during raceweek. Do 30-40 laps. It burns off some of the extra calories taken in, wakes you up and you'll be crispy fresh all day! Remember to take your speedos, because shorts are not allowed!

http://www.guide-piscine.fr/sarthe/c...-le-mans-417_P
Old 5 Mar 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3214439)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Must admit I've never been swimming at Le Mans - and I suspect that won't be a first for me this year! I very much a creature of habit, I was in my Tourist days and very much so now with Team DoT. And that's just how I like it!!!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3214443)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Andrew, like you i am also a creature of habit but trying new things is always a good thing, they will sometimes become the always do and other times never to be repeated, but I think we should all try to do one new thing each year, when i first started to go to le mans we would go to the pool several times as they had warm showers and proper toilets, something that was missing from the campsites at the time.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3214452)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Despite having been no where near as many times as Ayse it seems the trips are already getting quite regimented. Initial choices (if successful) can often influence how you continue I suppose.

New stuff for us this year should be:
Night time qually trip to Arnage
Grandstand tickets
And all being well a trip to the 10tenths meeting!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3214456)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The ten_tenths meet is a must do each year as it is the only chance we get
Old 5 Mar 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3214485)   #7
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anyone recommend any nearby villages/towns that are decent for a beer and a bite to eat?
Old 5 Mar 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3214493)   #8
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Despite having been no where near as many times as Ayse it seems the trips are already getting quite regimented. Initial choices (if successful) can often influence how you continue I suppose.

New stuff for us this year should be:
Night time qually trip to Arnage
Grandstand tickets
And all being well a trip to the 10tenths meeting!
Night time qually trip to Arnage is on my list. But since I have only been to one 24 and one Classic, it's all still new!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3214497)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We like la chartre sur la loire, a real mecca for sportscar fans as it is where the old teams (Bentley/aston etc) would stay, lovely place with a square and the hotel de france with all the pictures and memerobilia of the time.
Also a good climb to the joan of arc memorial at the top a a huge mound with great views of the surrounding area. Plenty of old cars there on both thursday and friday lunchtime
Old 5 Mar 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3214584)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I need to do the ten-tenths meeting as well. Often events on a Friday out of my control stop that from happening, so we'll see this year.

Believe it or not, 13 trips to Le Mans and only this year did I even catch a glimpse of the drivers' parade. The main purpose of our trip to the city centre was to catch the football in a Tabac but we were pretty impressed with the atmosphere. My Dad's been close to 30 times now and had never been on the advice of an Autosport guide in the late 80s. I think that says a lot about how seriously you should take those guides - you're far better listening to advice on a website like this from seasoned fans.

Another thing we did this year for the first time was watch the start of the race on the terraces - and we're absolutely up for doing it again. You may not have the best view or comfort, but you can't beat it for atmosphere.

Another thing to try this year will be the new museum layout and the use of unlimited internet. I can buy unlimited internet from Three for 5 euros a day - I think it's worth paying 10 euros for timing and scoring wherever I am around the circuit during the race.

It's great to try some new stuff out, but when you do, sometimes you're reminded why it was you had the habbit in the first place. Watching the start from the Esses, for example, was very dissapointing - you simply don't get the same build-up. Grandstand seats at the Dunlop chicane were also a mistake, it's a very underwhelming place to view the cars and not a lot happens there. Maison Blanche is infinitely better.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3214618)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
We like la chartre sur la loire, a real mecca for sportscar fans as it is where the old teams (Bentley/aston etc) would stay, lovely place with a square and the hotel de france with all the pictures and memerobilia of the time.
Also a good climb to the joan of arc memorial at the top a a huge mound with great views of the surrounding area. Plenty of old cars there on both thursday and friday lunchtime
Agreed - definitely worth a visit.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3214620)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

Believe it or not, 13 trips to Le Mans and only this year did I even catch a glimpse of the drivers' parade.
It is something you should do, but once you've done it a few times, you realise that you don't really want to do it every year - well I did anyway.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3214624)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Grandstand seats at the Dunlop chicane were also a mistake, it's a very underwhelming place to view the cars and not a lot happens there. Maison Blanche is infinitely better.
I agree with that too. It's actually a pretty good place to watch from.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3214634)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not entirely sure if it's to everyone's taste, but after the parade last year, we kind of drifted off the main square (with the trams) into the narrow streets, hunting food.
We stumbled onto a sort of Fame Trail thing, with brass plaques, with winners names, and hand prints. Then into a little square, with a fountain(?) like the trophy, and last year's winners details.

Something for a lazy day? Sorry for the vagueness!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3214635)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It is something you should do, but once you've done it a few times, you realise that you don't really want to do it every year - well I did anyway.
The drivers parade is a bit like the museum worth doing but I usually leave several years between rather than every year
Old 5 Mar 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3214637)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I have got a bit bored with the parade to be honest - but last year we had a great time getting back from the Parade stopping at various bars and meeting local people as well as fellow racegoers - so much of a great time that it took us 6 hours to get from the Cathedral area to the tram stop in the main square - which I think is about 400 yards!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3214642)   #17
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I can imagine the parade getting a little dull year after year, but we might do it properly this year, if not just to say we have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'm not entirely sure if it's to everyone's taste, but after the parade last year, we kind of drifted off the main square (with the trams) into the narrow streets, hunting food.

We stumbled onto a sort of Fame Trail thing, with brass plaques, with winners names, and hand prints. Then into a little square, with a fountain(?) like the trophy, and last year's winners details.

There's a lot to do in Le Mans, and it's easy to forget that the city is actually a nice place. The city is well worth exploring - the Cathedral is quite something too. Angers is a city not too far away well worth a visit.

I've heard some people say Le Mans is no place for families, but I couldn't disagree more. We took a family holiday to Le Mans in 2002 when I was 8 and my little sister was 5, and spread over two weeks we had time to do all the more civilised things the area has to offer.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3214701)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post

Like these.......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0033.JPG  
Old 5 Mar 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3214724)   #19
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We made sure to go find the hand prints last year on Friday and then had a meal in the square. But scarpered before the parade kicked off.

Maybe we'll give it another crack in a few years if it appears that good weather is guaranteed. I think standing near the start where you will get a bit of interaction/freebies would make it a lot better.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3214924)   #20
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just down one of the alleys off that square with the winners' hand prints is a wonderful little second-hand bookstore where the owner speaks English. Packed to the rafters with all manner of stuff, not just French either.

I remember reading in one of the guides (CA?) that the Drivers' Parade wasn't worth the hassle, but in 2011 I thought it was great. Wonderful atmosphere, loads of free stuff, plenty of places to get a drink and something to eat.

Thanks for the recommendations for Chartre-sur-la-Loire - I remember reading about a town where the teams used to stay and where Steve McQueen and crew stayed when filming Le Mans. I think we'll try to head out there on the Thursday lunchtime.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3214935)   #21
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I did the 24h du karting last year, my 4th trip to Le Mans in total and it was the first time i ventured up into the town and especially the old town. The Cathedral and surround area is stunning. Enjoyed a lovely quiet sun drenched beer there one afternoon.

Not sure what its like on raceweek though, might be heaving.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 08:28 (Ref:3214939)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The area around the old town is well worth a visit, the cathedral is stunning, well worth popping into the tourist office which is close by, you might even meet the delightful Nadine.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3215102)   #23
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The area around the old town is well worth a visit, the cathedral is stunning, well worth popping into the tourist office which is close by, you might even meet the delightful Nadine.
You seem to mention Nadine in every post
Old 6 Mar 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3215151)   #24
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansf...7632933726210/

Some Pics from the Old Town during my Oct Visit last Year .
Old 6 Mar 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3215196)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
We made sure to go find the hand prints last year on Friday and then had a meal in the square. But scarpered before the parade kicked off.

Maybe we'll give it another crack in a few years if it appears that good weather is guaranteed. I think standing near the start where you will get a bit of interaction/freebies would make it a lot better.

The last two occasions I went (08 and 09), that's where I went. You see a lot more of the drivers than 'out on the road'. In 2008, our Chief Tourist actually got ushered into the area where drivers were posing in front of the vintage cars - it appears that he was mistaken for Hugh Chamberlain! He was pleased to get in there, but not quite so delighted about the physical comparison - a fair bit younger and a little lighter......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I did the 24h du karting last year, my 4th trip to Le Mans in total and it was the first time i ventured up into the town and especially the old town. The Cathedral and surround area is stunning. Enjoyed a lovely quiet sun drenched beer there one afternoon.

Not sure what its like on raceweek though, might be heaving.
Certainly pretty packed for the parade on Friday night, but if you're in town for scrutineering the previous Sunday afternoon or on Monday, not too bad at all - away from the immediate area in which scrutineering is taking place.