Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Jun 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2483944)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Practice and Qualifying

For as long as I can remember (the '80s) there have been two days of practice for the 24h and all sessions counted for the grid. I know in the past the grid has been set by different methods. I believe they used engine size once(?).

This year we had a day of practice and a day of qualifying. Do you think that this was an improvement? I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter much, but did it make a real difference. This year the change was related to the lack of test weekend. Even if the test weekend returned do you think that it should stay the same as it was this year?

Is it better or worse for the teams, or the fans?
Old 15 Jun 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2484050)   #2
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of the commentators felt this change was a positive one, at least the reorganization of the race week. For sure the abandoning of the test day helped the teams financially.
For the fans, we did miss out on one more chance to see the cars, of course! hah

But it wasn't a bad thing to do. If they do bring back the test day, I think they could keep race week the same as they did this year.
For one, by having qualifying on one day, it eliminates the chance of some guys being lucky one day and others not so lucky.

I'd be in favour of bringing back test day maybe with a different way of doing things, but that would require re-arranging May.

They could use the Spa LMS race to hold an additional day or 2 of testing Spa and maybe even head to Le Mans at the end of the week for more testing. Who knows...
It would make Utah ALMS race a bit hard to manage.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2484093)   #3
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the new format. Just like the endless weeks and weeks of balogna before Daytona and Indy, the test weekend of the past seemed like sort of a bore and really favored the big budget teams. The new format is so much more compact and more conducive to the pocket book of competing teams. I hope they keep it in the future. People should have done their prep work before coming.

DK
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2485066)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The 6 hours on Wednesday were nothing short of boring . I watched 40 minutes of it and retired to my camp .

Even some sportscar journalist friends of mine said that it was a farce .

And a lot of teams even saying before that it wasnt a great idea to risk their chassis for nothing either .
Old 17 Jun 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2485579)   #5
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I devoutly hope they bring back the test day, and I say this as someone who's not attending the race, let alone the test. I do, however, believe that it gives teams an excellent chance to run their cars in, particularly when new, and discover what sort of optimizations they need to make for La Sarthe while still having time to do so. It also removes the stress of rookie tests on the Wednesday, which rather robbed the session of much of its lustre - and gives teams more of a chance to find a qualified replacement if they fail to get a driver qualified. I hope that the ACO will reinstate it next year, or that the teams throw a hissy fit if they suggest not doing so.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2485708)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
The 6 hours on Wednesday were nothing short of boring . I watched 40 minutes of it and retired to my camp .

Even some sportscar journalist friends of mine said that it was a farce .

And a lot of teams even saying before that it wasnt a great idea to risk their chassis for nothing either .
Wednesday was not exciting, watched some of it but with nothing to aim at i had the feeling that the teams either did a few laps then went back to bed of just drove round slowly to give the drivers a feel for the place. Not sure what savings were achieved by doing it that way but it was not good for all the fans who turned up.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2487663)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless the give the test weekend it's previous "pre qualifying" status back (let all entry applications turn up & prove their worth) then it is a pointless waste of money.

Other than that, I would stick with this years format but have practice & qualifying on Wednesday & Thursday:
Wed 12:00-18:00 Qual
Wed 18:00-00:00 Prac (rookie driver laps count)
Thur 12:00-1800 Prac (rookie driver laps count)
Thur 18:00-00:00 Qual
Old 22 Jun 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2488297)   #8
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Unless the give the test weekend it's previous "pre qualifying" status back (let all entry applications turn up & prove their worth) then it is a pointless waste of money.

Other than that, I would stick with this years format but have practice & qualifying on Wednesday & Thursday:
Wed 12:00-18:00 Qual
Wed 18:00-00:00 Prac (rookie driver laps count)
Thur 12:00-1800 Prac (rookie driver laps count)
Thur 18:00-00:00 Qual
Interesting idea, but how realistic is it to expect even the ACO to get road closures during the afternoon?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2489466)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
In rush hour!

We arrived halfway through a wet Wednesday, and no one was halfway trying, just toolong round, setting up.

But then perhaps that was the idea?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2490401)   #10
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RLM said the local area suffered most without the test day. I'd bring back proper qualifying - and let JLOC find some other pretext to ship tons of c*ke round the world or whatever it was they were really up to