Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jun 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2714368)   #176
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
This is my take on the incident.

Fact 1 - AD was able to get past the Corvette without contact
Fact 2 - EC had to take a different line at full speed causing his spin and subsequent contact with the wall

From this point it can only be opinion:

Scenario 1 - AD was over amibitous making a pass when EC was already committed to the speed and line of the corner.
Scenario 2 - EC hadn't used his mirrors enough and was taken by surprise when AD made a perfectly reasonable pass.

I dont think any of us can fully answer that and there are many many incidents in racing where two cars are expecting to use the same space and the result is an incident of some sort - it is in the nature of the game.

It is clear AD didnt intend cause an incident because if the Corvette had taken his line then they both would have gone off - So AD must have assumed he had or would be seen.

With regard to the interview - he did not come across well - but he has accepted that and apologised.

So for me it is time to move on and to reflect more on the good thing of what was a memorable race.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2714423)   #177
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree - 100%.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2718258)   #178
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While the incident with the Corvette might have been overlooked on its own, Davidson was driving recklessly during the entire time he was in the car after he was "ordered" to make up distance on the leaders. Yes, he was doing what he was asked to. However, as was stated earlier in the thread, Wurz had the same orders and managed faster laps without running half the field into the ditch or practically destroying the car on the way to the pits. There were a few times where the live feed came directly from the #1 Pug while Wurz was driving and he followed GT cars through the Porsche curves without running anyone off the road or making "pushy" moves. The fact is, Davidson was out of control. Many drivers are asked to speed up in order to make up distance, yet they don't run others off the road to accomplish the feat. I believe there is a certain decorum you are expected to follow no matter how fast you try to go or what your team orders are.

DK
Old 26 Jun 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2718275)   #179
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Please list the 'half of the field' that Davidson ran into the ditch - I think I must have missed rather a lot of them......
Old 26 Jun 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2718289)   #180
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Please list the 'half of the field' that Davidson ran into the ditch - I think I must have missed rather a lot of them......
Hyperbole is what hyperbole is. Do you deny he was out of control? If so, what was that ridiculous stunt he pulled on his way into the pits? The man was plain and simple, driving like a maniac and taking no prisoners. The point is, he could have achieved the same ends without running anyone off the road.

DK
Old 26 Jun 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2718296)   #181
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
However, as was stated earlier in the thread, Wurz had the same orders and managed faster laps without running half the field into the ditch or practically destroying the car on the way to the pits. There were a few times where the live feed came directly from the #1 Pug while Wurz was driving and he followed GT cars through the Porsche curves without running anyone off the road or making "pushy" moves.
Yet, Davidson did the fastest stint ever on one set of Michelin tyres: a quadrupple stint with an average lap time of 3:21.x
Old 26 Jun 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2718297)   #182
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
driving like a maniac and taking no prisoners.
Kind of ironic...
Old 26 Jun 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2718340)   #183
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Hyperbole is what hyperbole is. Do you deny he was out of control? If so, what was that ridiculous stunt he pulled on his way into the pits? The man was plain and simple, driving like a maniac and taking no prisoners. The point is, he could have achieved the same ends without running anyone off the road.

DK

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't share it. I suspect your comments are still aimed at the Corvette incident which has members here fairly well divided.

I confess I had hoped this thread was done.....
Old 28 Jun 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2719365)   #184
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How "EVIL" is he ..... bit strong that , but no more than Mika Salo who didnt recieve as much flak as Davidson , and he publically admitted that he did it intentionally to Enge !!!
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2719386)   #185
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
How "EVIL" is he ..... bit strong that , but no more than Mika Salo who didnt recieve as much flak as Davidson , and he publically admitted that he did it intentionally to Enge !!!
This incident does not bear comparison to the Salo incident as whichever way you look at it there was no way either party intended to cause an accident and in any event there was no contact.

The more I think about it more I subscribe to the view that EC was completely taken by surprise and was not aware that the Pug was so close otherwise he would have been allowing for it. As the speedhunters article says - he was two laps in front in GT2 and the Pug was clearly on a no holds bar charge - he should have known or have been told to keep out of the way.

The only reason this argument has raged on for so long is the comments AD made after the incident- not the incident itself - otherwise it would have been long forgotten
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2719390)   #186
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The only reason this argument has raged on for so long is the comments AD made after the incident- not the incident itself - otherwise it would have been long forgotten
The point is, and The Badger is right, even saying at the time that he regarded his own race as far more important than the Corvette's and not being apologetic in any way for the incident, it pales into insignificance compared to the disgrace of admitting in a live interview that you tried to get revenge on another driver by ramming him off the road.

So, for post-incident interview comments, Salo should be quite a lot higher on the "evil" ranking that Davidson, to be honest.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2719401)   #187
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Le Mans this year. I even spectated for a few hours where the collision happened, but was not present when the incident happened.
The difference in speed between the LMP1's and the rest was staggering. I have watched sportcar racing from the Group C days of the 80's and it has moved on so far since then. Peugeot and Audi were racing.
They would have been for throughout if not for the Pug's breaking down.
As to AD, I found many of his interviews during the event to be arrogant. Far beyond the normal self belief a driver needs. Allan Mcnish throughout was a true gentleman.
I suppose the difference comes down to, McNish has had a F1 chance and it didn't work. This a man who raced and beat Hakkinen in Formula Vauxhall Lotus.
Davidson believes the world owes him and he should be where Button is. Often forgetting that Sato thrashed him in F3 in 2001.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2719409)   #188
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
The point is, and The Badger is right, even saying at the time that he regarded his own race as far more important than the Corvette's and not being apologetic in any way for the incident, it pales into insignificance compared to the disgrace of admitting in a live interview that you tried to get revenge on another driver by ramming him off the road.

So, for post-incident interview comments, Salo should be quite a lot higher on the "evil" ranking that Davidson, to be honest.
Exactly - the incident has been blown out of all proportion by the interview.

I would 100% agree that Salo should be rated far more 'evil'. IMO if you cheat in such a way you should receive a lengthy ban from the sport - especially in a sport where the consequences can be so catastrophic.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2719462)   #189
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont believe Davidson did anything on purpose , also I believe that Collard wasnt aware that Davidson was that close to him . I reckon that it was a racing incident . But that doesnt get away from comments made by Davidson regarding the Corvette .
Old 28 Jun 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2719499)   #190
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England

Old 28 Jun 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2719566)   #191
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mods, can I have the final post?...My definition of an 'Evil' driver, was Ayton Senna, who deliberatly rammed Prosts F1 Ferrari off the track! Yet, he's a hero!

This excellent forum is called 10 Tenths, and that's what AD gave it, at his team bosses request!
I doubt there's a single poster here, whos ever driven an LMP1 at Le Mans in the dark, and if there is?...I doubt they could have put in a quadruple stint, and regained an entire lap on a single set of tyres, that ended up in Michelins museum!

Yet, can any desenting poster here, put his hand on his heart and in all honesty say...that they have never ever uttered an angry statement in the 'heat of the moment' that they later regretted? And if so, did they have the guts and the honesty to meet with the other parties and give a rational and honest appology?

The back of my ticket says... Motor Racing is Dangerous! Get over it, only the cars died!
Old 30 Jun 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2720185)   #192
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks Mr. R for another thoughtful comment, especially the bit about uttering a statement regretted and the following discussion.

and also, I finally got around to listening to the interview with AD on the wednesday, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and respected his honesty about it all--in fact, this is what I suspect I will recall about this years race in 20 years (the interview, not the "regretted comments"), along with the images of the flames coming out of the Pugs exhausts one after another.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2720518)   #193
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Davidson believes the world owes him and he should be where Button is. Often forgetting that Sato thrashed him in F3 in 2001.
I'm sorry, why do people keep saying this!? Davidson was in his FIRST season of F3, Sato in his 4th!
Old 1 Jul 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2720818)   #194
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we now finally close this thread and agree that AD is not Evil, probably a bit eager in the overtaking, not so wise with his post stint comments, quite honest when he saw his mistakes in the cold light of day and someone we would like to see again in Le Mans? Certainly not Evil.

Can we close now?
Old 1 Jul 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2720838)   #195
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I would very much like to do that and I will unless someone comes up with some sensible reason why I shouldn't in the next few hours. I seriously feel that everything that needs to be said here has already been said - several times.....
Old 2 Jul 2010, 05:04 (Ref:2720998)   #196
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good. Thread closed then.