Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Jul 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2726286)   #26
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Crikey - it looks like some kind of miniature car - what is it?
A Porsche 908/3.

The /2 had a tail with overhang, the /3 seems to stop immediately behind the rear wheels.

Try Googling some images of the two cars and you'll see what I mean.

Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_908
Old 14 Jul 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2726616)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see what you mean!
Old 14 Jul 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2726631)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Excellent Steve - is that the yellow Ligier that Willie Green used to drive in there?
Yes it is, Ayse, and a very quick bit of kit!
Old 14 Jul 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2726742)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed the coverage.

I do have some comments. I reckon there is a fair chance they will be read too.

More race coverage would have been good. The chat was generally good, but it was too much of a good thing. There was plenty of time for that in between races (the gaps are very long for this event).

When there were interviews in the pits and comments about the race order they were well received. They added to the event.

Some of this was because, and it was obvious, the team didn't know what was going on in the races. They seemed to have access to some cameras, but sometimes no one seemed to look at them. There were a couple of comments that no one was operating them. However they were in a better position than most spectators who had no additional information.

Why not have some updates of who won in between races? I don't think She Sell's Sanctuary would be the ideal background music for the classic. Maybe some The Who?

Full 24 hour coverage would have been good. It is not the same when you are trying to grab a few hours sleep and your not drifting off to RLM. I understand that there weren't the resources. On this there wasn't much advertising revenue I guess and for the first year this was about getting a presence that can be built on. However you should have asked - I'd have done the evening stint (I'm imagining the thoughts on that one!).

There were some comments about people listening being more knowledgeable than those commentating. I can see this as a problem, we're all blummin' experts on somethings . However there were some shockers - for example the discussion about E2A was disappointing as it was featured in the Octane only a month before, but still prompted some erroneous facts.

As I said it was good and very appreciated. I know your not allowed to say anything bad about RLM, but my comments should be taken in context. If I didn't care I wouldn't offer feedback.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2727307)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh I think RSL ought to appreciate any constructive feedback Adam. There's no doubt about it, we all love RLM at the 24 Hours, primarily for the fact that it's become a Le Mans institution and I listen to far more of it now than I ever did in the late 80s and 90s. But there are still things about it that I don't like and things about it that I simply couldn't do without at the 24 Hours, but I'd like to hope that John, Eve et al at RLM would have some interest in what we think here. There are, after all some serious Le Mans fans here who make use of the service provided.

I can't comment about RLM at the Classic though as I wasn't there (more's the pity), but your mini-critique sounds fair to me. Any other commnents from those who were there?
Old 16 Jul 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2727553)   #31
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Oh I think RSL ought to appreciate any constructive feedback Adam. There's no doubt about it, we all love RLM at the 24 Hours, primarily for the fact that it's become a Le Mans institution and I listen to far more of it now than I ever did in the late 80s and 90s. But there are still things about it that I don't like and things about it that I simply couldn't do without at the 24 Hours, but I'd like to hope that John, Eve et al at RLM would have some interest in what we think here. There are, after all some serious Le Mans fans here who make use of the service provided.

I can't comment about RLM at the Classic though as I wasn't there (more's the pity), but your mini-critique sounds fair to me. Any other commnents from those who were there?
I hate to say it but I didn't listen to it for more than about 5 minutes.

I didn't feel the need to keep up with what was going on on the track as it really did not interest me in the same way the 24 hrs does. I was happy to walk round taking in the sights and sounds and talking to my friends and the various people we met along the way.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2727645)   #32
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I enjoyed the coverage.

I do have some comments. I reckon there is a fair chance they will be read too.

More race coverage would have been good. The chat was generally good, but it was too much of a good thing. There was plenty of time for that in between races (the gaps are very long for this event).

When there were interviews in the pits and comments about the race order they were well received. They added to the event.

Some of this was because, and it was obvious, the team didn't know what was going on in the races. They seemed to have access to some cameras, but sometimes no one seemed to look at them. There were a couple of comments that no one was operating them. However they were in a better position than most spectators who had no additional information.

Why not have some updates of who won in between races? I don't think She Sell's Sanctuary would be the ideal background music for the classic. Maybe some The Who?

Full 24 hour coverage would have been good. It is not the same when you are trying to grab a few hours sleep and your not drifting off to RLM. I understand that there weren't the resources. On this there wasn't much advertising revenue I guess and for the first year this was about getting a presence that can be built on. However you should have asked - I'd have done the evening stint (I'm imagining the thoughts on that one!).

There were some comments about people listening being more knowledgeable than those commentating. I can see this as a problem, we're all blummin' experts on somethings . However there were some shockers - for example the discussion about E2A was disappointing as it was featured in the Octane only a month before, but still prompted some erroneous facts.

As I said it was good and very appreciated. I know your not allowed to say anything bad about RLM, but my comments should be taken in context. If I didn't care I wouldn't offer feedback.
Mmmmm very interesting post.

Firstly, I do not work for RLM before anyone thinks it and I agree with Ayse, constructive crit should be well recieved and the whole purpose of this forum is to have your say (providing it is just and not having a go for having a go's sake)

I personally think the commentary was great, but that is my own opinion, I will agree that I was miffed by the fact that a musical loop was playing in the early hours over the friday I believe....didnt make sense to me and also, what got me, was they were cut off, mid sentence at about twenty past four on the sunday....didnt think that was good, but, as I have said in a post on another tread about this Classic, for some of us (and that includes some of the RLM team) it was a first and felt strange.....as I said...the racing kept stopping, which, took me a hell of a long time to get used to...I kept thinking it was Red Flagged!

With regard to the team not knowing what was going on in the races , this can be answered in two ways,
1) In their defence I can tell you that when I was up there I saw one telly with a feed from one fixed camera with a bit of sun glare there was no live television coverage at all apart from that, they were not based where they normally are, they were on the opp side of the track which also was a bit of a logistical nightmare for them, if it were Race Control at least we would have the phones from the marshals posts, Radio Le Mans had nothing like that.
2) actually, did anyone know what was going on in the races....did anyone care?, the french driver who they interviewed summed it up when he said "I just went out there and enjoyed myself....I dont care if they gave me a penalty...Im driving at Le man and enjoying myself" Loved it, it was, in my opinion, what this event was all about, beautiful cars, iconic cars...the best venue for a race in the world....and people enjoying themselves...and I think that included the Radio Le Mans team.

This was their first time at the Classic and Im sure, knowing Eve and the gang , they will review how they did, the feedback etc and may rethink certain aspects of it and work towards next year with an idea of what they can achieve.

What I will say is I thought the comedy element amoungts the team was fantastic, it really was like a group of guys being down the pub talking amoungts themselves about the thing they love....racing! Mr Hindhaugh even states that on the website

So, Im in praise of them, well done, take on board whats been said here and what you found at the circuit, look to improve and in two years ...it will be even better

Ta
C

Tags
rlm