Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 May 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3071613)   #1
911CG
Rookie

911CG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking the family to Le Mans - first timer

Hi all,

I'm gradually working my way through old posts to see if I can take on any hints and tips, but in the mean time was wondering if posting this might fast track my knowledge.

I'm taking the wife and kids down to Le Mans this year, never even having driven on the continent before. Needless to say the nerves are starting to kick in.

In brief, i'm taking the wife's car (people carrier), the wife, daughter (aged 21), son#1 (17) and son#2 (6). Crossing from Dover->Calais.

Booked in at the Dairon campsite.

Are there any hints you can pass on from your first visit or even your first drive down there? Am I insane even attempting this?

Any information would be gladly received.
Old 9 May 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3071700)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
don't be nervous about the drive. it's fine. it's just like being in england except you're on the other side of the road and you get used to that pretty quickly. make sure you've got snacks for the offspring along the way, and that son and daughter are prepared for a lack of electricity to charge up their ipods and phones when they get there. the easiest way to do peages (tolls) is to have a credit card at the ready and hand it over with your ticket at the manned booths or the automagic machines if you want to skip the queues - don't forget your bonjours, mercis and au revoirs. they're crafty with the speed limits on motorways, they'll lower it and then put a speed camera in for no reason other than catching you out but you're almost always safe if you do 110km/h rather than 130.

how long are you staying for?
Old 9 May 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3071732)   #3
911CG
Rookie

Hi bella,

Many thanks for the response, we are crossing around mid-day on the Thursday, 14th, then coming back on the Monday.

Chris
Old 9 May 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3071736)   #4
Bluarmy
Rookie

England
Birmingham UK
Bluarmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome, can I firstly say that you have made the right choice by going to LM and you almost certainly will be back.
Driving isn't a problem in my experience, I would say the roads are generally less crowded than UK roads, as Bella said, the peages/toll roads are recommended. Remember to pack reflective vests (1 each) and keep them to hand (back of the seats maybe) as this is a legal requirement in France, as are spare bulbs and warning triangle also headlamp deflectors if driving at night.
We always get our supplies from the huge Carrefour in Le Mans town, I'm sure your campsite neighbours will point you in the right direction.
I would suggest having a look at the guide published each year on http://www.clubarnage.com/ This year's isn't there yet, but last year's will still be pretty relevant, it was invaluable to us on our first trip.

Last edited by Bluarmy; 9 May 2012 at 13:51.
Old 9 May 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3071738)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CG View Post
Hi bella,

Many thanks for the response, we are crossing around mid-day on the Thursday, 14th, then coming back on the Monday.

Chris
excellent choice, gives you a good chance to chill out and decompress from being stuck in a car with the kids for 12 hours before the serious business starts over the weekend

it's my first time at lm too, you're definitely not alone! we're going to take some basic essentials like bog roll, bog wipes, soft drinks and red bull (mostly cheaper here) then stop off on the way for some fresher essentials, some vin and to arm the cheese box.

is there anything you're looking to find out in particular?
Old 9 May 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3071774)   #6
911CG
Rookie

Bluarmy,

Thanks for that I will take a look at the guide. I've started to make a list and have already got some of the essentials like the triangle, the hi vis and bulb kit.

Bella,

Thanks for the reassurance! I guess I was just after some general pointers. As its your first time also, have you done much research on where to view, the drivers parade etc?
Old 9 May 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3071807)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
where to view... since there's only two of us we booked the grandstand above the pits (sat up there before for a different race) to guarantee a view of the start and finish, plus somewhere dry to sit if it was raining or we can't be arsed any more. otherwise we're just planning to mosey around and take the event in a bit, particularly overnight and at the usual sunrise/sunset times. perhaps the regulars can help out with recommendations?

the drivers parade we're definitely going to - for us we'll walk to the tram and get into town from there. it's a long way from your site but perhaps it'll be easier than trying to move the car around once you're pitched and comfortable. the drivers parade i believe has a specific website but i can't remember for the life of me what it is! a quick google ought to provide a lead.

fwiw legally you need *one* hi viz in france, but they recommend you have one for each occupant. they're good things to have in the car in the uk as well. it's worth just clarifying your breakdown coverage too, and making sure you have the european contact number you can call from your mobile if something does happen. check your car insurance cover, but don't worry too much about getting the actual green card itself.

depending on your daughters age and state of mind it may or may not be worth you or your wife having a quiet word with her about the fun and games of being in a field with loads of drunk men. it's mostly all harmless fun and banter, but particularly if she's off to the loo on her own she might feel more comfortable with someone walking with her. just make sure she knows it's ok to ask and all that. i'm sure some people will think that's a bit princessy and not necessary but like i say, it depends on what she's used to. don't worry about it though.
Old 9 May 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3071835)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
you will enjoy yourself that I am certain of, top tips as follows
Use the motorway from Calais to Rouen then follow the signs it will take you round the outskirts of the city onto the motorway heading towards Caen then you have a choice either continue on the motorway and then take the next motorway direct to Le mans or turn off after a few miles and take the old road n138(now d338) just follow the brits if you are unsure.
Break the journey after rouen have some lunch and stock up with surplies in one of the towns on the d338.
Directions to campsites can be found elsewhere so look those up, set up camp and talk to those around you, beer breaks the ice but you will find that out as soon as you arrive, in case of hot or wet weather take a Gazebo if you can fit it in
Thursday night explore and watch the practice try and look around the village behind the pit complex, make sure you go into the grandstand above the pits on thursday to watch the cars from above as they enter the pits
Friday go to St saturin for the classic british welcome (see other post) come back to the campsite in the afternoon and then take the tram into town for the drivers parade
Saturday go to the tent tenths meet and meet everyone pick up tips for where to watch the race from them, start watching the race from either grandstand seats(I would save money and not bother for your first trip) or watch from the banking before tertre rouge.
Try and make sure you watch some night time racing if you can get there go to arnarge in the dark.
After the race be careful in dairion as there will be no security for the sunday night
Old 9 May 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3071868)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are literally hundreds of threads worth of tips and so on here 911CG. Many of us are 'old hands' but we all do Le Mans in different ways. Some even have websites all about their escapades..... (No, not just me!).

I don't know whether you have grandstand seats (I suspect not as you'd have mentioned it by now I guess), but the whole of the area from before the Ford Chicane right round to Tertre Rouge is easily accessible on foot. Stake a place early on the tribunes opposite the pits on Saturday as that gets crowded very quickly, or even watch the start out at somewhere likeTertre Rouge. As Simon says, if you can, try and get out to Arnage/Indianapolis or Mulsanne Corner during the night...
Old 9 May 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3071897)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
the single most useful item is a personal VHF radio and decent earphones so you can follow the action on Radio Le Mans, without it you probably won't have a clue what's going on. Take a radio each and spare batteries too. Depending on individual aural sensitivities some may want good ear defenders over the top, although does not usually apply to anyone who likes loud gigs!
Old 9 May 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3071901)   #11
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought that all your plans will have to revolve around your six-year-old, his requirements for food, drink and sleep, plus his tolerance for crowds and so on.
If the weather is hot there will be a lot of dust (and there's not much shade or room to sit down in the public enclosures), whilst wet weather produces mud - and lots of it around Dairon and Beausejour. Crowds near the track during the race are very dense, and it's easy to get separated.
I'm not advising you not to go - we took our eldest daughter to 5 Grands Prix and three 1000km races in 1974 before her first birthday, but you'll enjoy it more if you recce it thoroughly once you arrive and make your plans.
Bluarmy's suggestion of the Club Arnage Guide is spot on - there is no better spectator guide to the world's greatest race.
Have fun!
Old 9 May 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3071904)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good advice there Chris and David.
Old 9 May 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3071907)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
don't be nervous about the drive. it's fine. it's just like being in england except you're on the other side of the road and you get used to that pretty quickly.
Yes, when you come along a car in the wrong lane or driving particularly badly you'll find that it is a Brit when you get closer.

Just drive well, like you're meant to at home.
Old 9 May 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3071913)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes, when you come along a car in the wrong lane or driving particularly badly you'll find that it is a Brit when you get closer.

Just drive well, like you're meant to at home.
Yep. Go easy on the first set of options on the way over........
Old 9 May 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3071915)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I find that if you are travelling during the night you can triple stint the tyres...
Old 9 May 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3071920)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I find that if you are travelling during the night you can triple stint the tyres...
with a child on board? i think that's the next thing they'll add to le mans. a 7 year old sat in the back on the overnight stints going "DAAAAAAAAAAD.... i need a weee..."
Old 9 May 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3071925)   #17
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
with a child on board? i think that's the next thing they'll add to le mans. a 7 year old sat in the back on the overnight stints going "DAAAAAAAAAAD.... i need a weee..."
That might change the meaning of "splash and dash"
Old 10 May 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3072120)   #18
911CG
Rookie

Excellent!

Thanks to all so far!
Old 10 May 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3072352)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
That might change the meaning of "splash and dash"

Now that I like!
Old 10 May 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3072376)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CG View Post
Excellent!

Thanks to all so far!
It is going to be great, you know that don't you?!

We've always fancied taking a big estate for the practicalities of when we get there or for bringing things back. However it has never won the argument.

Well I am having to consider what to do in a few years when three generations are making the trip to Le Mans. The current two seater car can't take us all. The first suggestion of an interesting four seater has been rejected in favour of two two seaters!
Old 10 May 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3072427)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The practicalities of a large estate have won the day for many years although several in our group prefer taking 2 seaters but they to like the things that come down in the estate cars like the gazebo, tables, chairs and cooking facilities that way we have the best of both worlds and once down there we have a choice of transport
Old 11 May 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3072525)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
To be honest ..... taking interested people to this race is cool , expecting non interested people to be interested in this , and expecting them to be entertained for 24 hours , 24 hours being the minimum , is askin a bit much .

Im sure your older son will have a ball to a point ..... after that expect the im tired and bored bit to follow .

I wish you and your family the best , but I suspect that any future trips will be made alone ...................

If you can manage to explain thet this is a weekend of endurance racing , and not a shopping trip ..... it may go well for you .
Old 11 May 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3072575)   #23
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
the single most useful item is a personal VHF radio and decent earphones so you can follow the action on Radio Le Mans, without it you probably won't have a clue what's going on. Take a radio each and spare batteries too. Depending on individual aural sensitivities some may want good ear defenders over the top, although does not usually apply to anyone who likes loud gigs!
Back in the day when I went, they actually sold little personal radios at the track. (quite cheaply).
Do they still do that?
Old 11 May 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3072591)   #24
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
To be honest ..... taking interested people to this race is cool , expecting non interested people to be interested in this , and expecting them to be entertained for 24 hours , 24 hours being the minimum , is askin a bit much .

Im sure your older son will have a ball to a point ..... after that expect the im tired and bored bit to follow .

I wish you and your family the best , but I suspect that any future trips will be made alone ...................

If you can manage to explain thet this is a weekend of endurance racing , and not a shopping trip ..... it may go well for you .
Completely disagree with this!!

I've been going since I was 4 and if it wasn't for my dad commanding me to return to my tent, I would have stayed up for the whole race!

We used to go as a family to the race, with my little sister and my mum. My sister sometimes got a little bored but we all agree that the best holidays we ever had we going to the race and staying in a gite for two weeks 20 minutes or so from the track. When we can, we'll all do it again.

My mum was never into motor racing before she met my dad and she's still not in to motor racing much, but she absolutely adores the magic of Le Mans. If she could go every year, she would.

Le Mans can be enjoyed as a family event. The place becomes its own universe during the week and there's nothin else like it - I can't think of anyone not being captivated by the atmosphere, the magic and the humanity on display.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3072634)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i agree with the badger - in fact, the reason i haven't gone in my decade of hardcore motorsport travelling is that i've wanted to wait to have the right level of interest in the event itself since the core campsite culture doesn't interest me at all. without a team or car to cheer for, endurance racing is hard work and without specific interest in the race, the noise and inconvenience is borderline tolerable.

i would suggest the op hasn't already that picking a team and car to support as a group would be a really good idea. we've got one each from the same team