Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Aug 2003, 17:05 (Ref:681430)   #1
#59 Ueno-Clinic
Rookie

#59 Ueno-Clinic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi R8 project

does anyone know how much Audi has spent in development of the R8 from 2000-2002?

how does it compare to what Bentley has spent on the Speed 8 project?
Old 6 Aug 2003, 18:33 (Ref:681489)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2000? What about 1999?
Old 6 Aug 2003, 18:37 (Ref:681495)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
a lot............
Old 6 Aug 2003, 19:32 (Ref:681536)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
And the 1999 coupes were really great...

As Henri Pescarolo said, Audi putted more than ten times what Pescarolo team each year...

Let's say 15 M€ per year at least... 365 days a year in the wind tunnel, etc, etc...

Last edited by Fab; 6 Aug 2003 at 19:33.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 20:35 (Ref:681576)   #5
#59 Ueno-Clinic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
2000? What about 1999?
i dont consider the R8R and R8C
Old 6 Aug 2003, 20:39 (Ref:681581)   #6
#59 Ueno-Clinic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
And the 1999 coupes were really great...

As Henri Pescarolo said, Audi putted more than ten times what Pescarolo team each year...

Let's say 15 M€ per year at least... 365 days a year in the wind tunnel, etc, etc...
thanks. what would that be in USD?

what about for the Speed 8 project? how much would that be each year?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 04:59 (Ref:681745)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
probably somewhere around the total GNP of most African countries when you add it all up
Old 7 Aug 2003, 12:06 (Ref:681958)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by #59 Ueno-Clinic
i dont consider the R8R and R8C

Why? That's where the project started.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 15:49 (Ref:682074)   #9
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Why? That's where the project started.
Indeed, to neglect the firt generation Audi LMPs is to lop off a sizeable amount of the total cost. That may have been one of the most expensive steps since they started from scratch; at least when they began with the second generation car they had a foundation to start from. They knew relatively little when they started the original cars. Why else would they tackle two different designs?

Neither the 2000-2002 R8 nor the Bentley (since it's pretty well accepted that the Bentley descended from the R8C) would have been anywhere near as effective were it not for their predecessors. Plus both cars would have cost a helluva lot more, imo.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 20:27 (Ref:682244)   #10
lowieracing
Racer

lowieracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was told that audi had invested around 30million punds into both the R8 campaign in both 2001 and 2001...?!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:21 (Ref:682291)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
About the same as Didier Bonnet then......
Old 7 Aug 2003, 23:15 (Ref:682414)   #12
#59 Ueno-Clinic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by danhx
Indeed, to neglect the firt generation Audi LMPs is to lop off a sizeable amount of the total cost. That may have been one of the most expensive steps since they started from scratch; at least when they began with the second generation car they had a foundation to start from. They knew relatively little when they started the original cars. Why else would they tackle two different designs?

Neither the 2000-2002 R8 nor the Bentley (since it's pretty well accepted that the Bentley descended from the R8C) would have been anywhere near as effective were it not for their predecessors. Plus both cars would have cost a helluva lot more, imo.
correct. thats y i dont want to count the R8R and R8C as part of the balance. since both the Speed 8 and R8 decended from the same basic chassis.

what i want to know is the cost of development for the R8 from 2000-2002 and how it compares to what Bentley spent on the Speed 8 from 2001-2003.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 12:15 (Ref:682798)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No idea at all. Sorry matey.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 17:28 (Ref:683076)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by #59 Ueno-Clinic
what i want to know is the cost of development for the R8 from 2000-2002 and how it compares to what Bentley spent on the Speed 8 from 2001-2003.
Difficult to make a distinction between the projects : the VAG group was involved in both... not sure they published the amounts anyway...

For US$, count 1 € = 1.15 US$
Old 9 Aug 2003, 17:46 (Ref:683786)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Whatever the figure is (and I doubt we'll ever really know) form Audi's point of view it's been worth it. The sporting Kudos they've gained from it has become similar Porsche & Ford's GT40. I think back and wonder if Toyota were a bit hasty to go to F1. You could argue that BMW's current position is the counter to that, but untill they bag a championship, it's still been one hell of a risk.

I'm gutted that Toyota, BMW and Porsche didn't stay in the LMP fight - imagine what the current sportcar scene would be like?
Old 10 Aug 2003, 08:48 (Ref:684064)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by b1ackcr0w

I'm gutted that Toyota, BMW and Porsche didn't stay in the LMP fight - imagine what the current sportcar scene would be like?

You and me alike.

It was almost shameful the way BWM packed up their bags after the win in 1999 and I'm still convinced Toyota would have given Audi and very good run for their money in 2000 had they been able to develop etc. the GT one to race that year.