Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:40 (Ref:2085595)   #1
shaunx
Rookie

shaunx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes-Benz CLR

The Mercedes-Benz CLR was a Le Mans Prototype GT Mercedes-Benz racing car created for the 1999 race. It became infamous for spectacular crashes.
oh man so sad about that. It was Dubbed as the most beautiful crafted prototype in 1999 Le Mans 24 hours race,but it got several flaws of wrong "aerodynamic",that make this car easily "launch off" at Mulsanne Straight & IndianaPolis bank that bring almost immediate cancellation of CLR racing project & preparation of Mercedez to take a part in Le Mans series until this date......
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:43 (Ref:2085598)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Care to elaborate on the point you are making?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2085609)   #3
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
smell the cheese love the spam
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2085615)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If he is trying to say that Mercedes is going back into Sportscars, nothing has been released by Mercedes Motorsport as yet.

Mercedes have had a terrible history at Le Mans, notably 55 and 99 but remember 91 and 98, rather than spectacular retirements they were doing fairly well until a mechanical fault cropped up.

They need someone like McLaren or Sauber again to run and build their cars for them. Running it as a factory effort is a major drain on resources and has catastrophic results if anything happens to the car such as the 99 flips, Mercedes became the butt of all the jokes for a few months and Peter became a celebrity for driving the car while it happened. Remember one of the sister cars did it twice to Mark Webber.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2085654)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Shaun, perhaps you should consider contributing to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLR
Old 10 Dec 2007, 16:45 (Ref:2085757)   #6
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Mercedes have had a terrible history at Le Mans, notably 55 and 99 but remember 91 and 98, rather than spectacular retirements they were doing fairly well until a mechanical fault cropped up.
Remember 85 and 88? Not very good either.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 17:20 (Ref:2085805)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Remember 85 and 88? Not very good either.
Saying that though, in 85 the car was raceable after the accident and as for 88, it wasn't Sauber's fault at all! The tyres gave up at 200mph!
Old 10 Dec 2007, 17:48 (Ref:2085840)   #8
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Saying that though, in 85 the car was raceable after the accident and as for 88, it wasn't Sauber's fault at all! The tyres gave up at 200mph!
Never said it was, just said it wasnt good.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 18:06 (Ref:2085854)   #9
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Shaun, perhaps you should consider contributing to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLR
Looks like another article I need to expand and clean-up a bit...
Old 10 Dec 2007, 20:26 (Ref:2085962)   #10
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont care I was still the best one they ever made!
Old 11 Dec 2007, 06:11 (Ref:2086222)   #11
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=rcarr]]but remember 91 and 98, rather than spectacular retirements they were doing fairly well until a mechanical fault cropped up.

QUOTE]

Erm 98 - both cars out after an hour...That wasn't very good.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2086273)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I remember the laps that Schneider did in qualifying . Out of the pits with blanks fitted over the wheels and most openings in the body work taped up . He was absolutly on the edge at Tetre Rouge .

Nice car , but for me , I will always remember the car as the car that removed the hump outta the Mulsanne straight !!! What a pity Mercedes couldnt accept that the trouble was with their chassis , and not the track .
Old 16 Dec 2007, 06:49 (Ref:2089804)   #13
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I was one of the first people to post that flip (on the web) on the run down to Indy (one of the few with a tv capture card running and watching TV via the PC in those days)

Personally I liked the CLK-LM the revision of the original ITC based chassis cars.

Yes the Silver Arrows haven't had it their way at all at La Sarthe, but one victory is better than NONE and so what if the factory wasn't directly involved, Prodrive winning Le Mans with a "home-built" didn't tarnish Ferrari's pedigree any.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 07:02 (Ref:2089805)   #14
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How closely did the CLK GTR/LM chassis relate to the C-class ITC cars?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2089933)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They used ITC technology but were brand new cars.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 02:08 (Ref:2091000)   #16
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I remember the laps that Schneider did in qualifying . Out of the pits with blanks fitted over the wheels and most openings in the body work taped up . He was absolutly on the edge at Tetre Rouge .

Nice car , but for me , I will always remember the car as the car that removed the hump outta the Mulsanne straight !!! What a pity Mercedes couldnt accept that the trouble was with their chassis , and not the track .
Watch what happens in onboard videos of it. The front end starts to bounce up and down a bit too much
Old 18 Dec 2007, 10:30 (Ref:2091147)   #17
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^do you have (a link to) an onboard vid of that accident??
Old 19 Dec 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2092200)   #18
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom
^^do you have (a link to) an onboard vid of that accident??
That was never released.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2092207)   #19
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
How closely did the CLK GTR/LM chassis relate to the C-class ITC cars?
As far as I know the DTM/ITC cars were a spaceframe chassis with some roadcar pieces welded on to them, the rest was carbon fibre and the CLK-GTR was 100% carbon monocoque.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 11:19 (Ref:2092576)   #20
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
As I understand it, the first cars were built from spares of the ITC/DTM Mercs. And no the ITC cars were monocoque as well, only road cars bits were the roof and some body panels that was IT.

Great series, poorly run by Uncle Bernie

Those AWD Alfa 155's were the BOMB
Old 20 Dec 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2092594)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What on earth is the point of this thread?
Old 22 Jan 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2111132)   #22
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to drag this thread back up,Ive just read an article that says the monocoque chassis was made by Lola, which I didnt know I throught the whole thing was Benz/HWA??? Although the ride wasnt bumpy many of the testers wernt allowed to test off hockenhiems circuit, which made people question the ride quality. Also the V12 originally used was getting long in the tooth by the time, although the V8 they used for Le Mans was no better. Anyway again sorry to drag an old thread up I throught it was intresting about the chassis.