Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 May 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2215670)   #1
atmow
Rookie

United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
atmow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Timers to LM24 Seeking Advice

My girlfriend and I are headed to the race for the first time this year. We are coming all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. I've read through the Club Arnage guide (which is excellent), but I still have some questions. If anyone can help us answer these, it would be appreciated. We have grandstand tickets, Row A, Leonard (20).

Can we bring food and beverage into the track/grandstand or do we have to buy it there?
We have parking passes for the Rouge lot. I know these are not reserved, but do they sell more passes than spots? What time do we need to arrive to be guaranteed a parking space?
We are planning to be at the track for the entire race, but we are not camping. A friend who drives in the Le Mans Classic said he rents a cot in a big tent for sleeping. Is this normally offered at LM24, too? Or can we bring a sleeping bag and stretch out in the grandstands? Is sleeping in the car really not allowed?
Any other tips for first timers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31 May 2008, 02:03 (Ref:2215678)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmow
Can we bring food and beverage into the track/grandstand or do we have to buy it there?
Should be no problem bringing it in but don't expect to find ice for sale at a local 7-11.

Quote:
We have parking passes for the Rouge lot. I know these are not reserved, but do they sell more passes than spots? What time do we need to arrive to be guaranteed a parking space?
I have no information about parking passes as I was a corner worker in '99 - '02 but plan on getting there early anyway. How is your French?

Quote:
We are planning to be at the track for the entire race, but we are not camping. A friend who drives in the Le Mans Classic said he rents a cot in a big tent for sleeping. Is this normally offered at LM24, too? Or can we bring a sleeping bag and stretch out in the grandstands? Is sleeping in the car really not allowed?
I would imagine the restrictions on sleeping in cars is related to cars parked on a public right of way. I don't think anyone would object if you slept in the car in the car park.

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
You might enjoy the stories of my adventures. Start HERE for general information. Then 1999 , 2000 , 2001 and finally 2002 . They are probably considered `vintage' by now and I am sure that "The Village" has lost it's `charm' and the roads hve been improved. That being said, I wish I could join you and show you around.

Check the other Le Mans threads and try to meet up with the rest of the 10ths crew at noon on SAT.

PM with questions.

Last edited by thebear; 31 May 2008 at 02:06.
Old 31 May 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2215725)   #3
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no issues with parking, you will have a spot even if getting out to go to Arnage or Mulsanne during the race might be difficult if someone is barbecuing in front of you...
Old 31 May 2008, 07:54 (Ref:2215749)   #4
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've read through the Club Arnage guide (which is excellent) Thank you, but I still have some questions. If anyone can help us answer these, it would be appreciated. We have grandstand tickets, Row A, Leonard (20).

Can we bring food and beverage into the track/grandstand or do we have to buy it there? No Problem taking your own

We have parking passes for the Rouge lot. I know these are not reserved, but do they sell more passes than spots? What time do we need to arrive to be guaranteed a parking space? As early as you can there is a support race as well, so get there in time for that and you will be fine.

We are planning to be at the track for the entire race, but we are not camping. A friend who drives in the Le Mans Classic said he rents a cot in a big tent for sleeping. Is this normally offered at LM24, too? Never seen it at the 24 hour

Or can we bring a sleeping bag and stretch out in the grandstands? Is sleeping in the car really not allowed? You can sleep in the car

Any other tips for first timers? The 2008 Club Arnage guide is available soon!

Thanks in advance. Your welcome, have a nice day
R
Old 31 May 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2215827)   #5
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
[quote=thebear]Should be no problem bringing it in but don't expect to find ice for sale at a local 7-11.

Don't? DO! We allways go for a few bags of ice in one of the big supermarché's or Carrefours.
I'd advice you to go to the fish area,buy yourselves a coolingbag and then put one of these bags of ice in it so you'll have nicely chilled food and drinks.
And you'll really be craving for something cool at Le Mans when everything is as usuall(hot).

Last edited by GTfour; 31 May 2008 at 10:32.
Old 31 May 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2215837)   #6
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Actually we don't by ice anymore,we bring our own freezers,but still,buying ice when at Le Mans with just basic campinggear or no campinggear at all,is the way to keep your suplies cool.
Old 31 May 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2215843)   #7
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've slept in the car in the Rouge section most years i've gone, except for last year when I decided to stay up all night for the first time. I'm not going to be trying to sleep in the car this year, its very suffocating in the summer heat. There is a pub across the road frequented by many a hard-drinking Brit, its generally very noisy until ~3am.

The spaces at Rouge are reserved so you don't have to worry about them overselling. There is a lot op traffic on raceday so get there early Saturday/Friday night.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 31 May 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2215845)   #8
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting into town will also be a lot easier this year if you don't have a car, the new tram system is fully operational and has a couple of stops in the Tetre Rouge area. Also there are shuttle buses operating throughout the race to take you to Arnage/Indianapolis and Mulsanne corner, both unmissable parts of the circuit.
Old 31 May 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2215925)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi atmow - always good to welcome newbies to Le Mans - but be warned, it's highly addictive!

At the risk of repeating what others have said already, I've added my thoughts to your questions too. I also have a first-timers page on my site - I wrote it a few years ago but much of it is still applicable....

Ayse's Tips for First-Timers

Quote:
My girlfriend and I are headed to the race for the first time this year. We are coming all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. I've read through the Club Arnage guide (which is excellent), but I still have some questions. If anyone can help us answer these, it would be appreciated. We have grandstand tickets, Row A, Leonard (20).

Personally, I don't think the food situation in the circuit is as good as it used to be - I struggled to find a baguette and a bottle of water anywhere near the T34 grandstand pre-race last year, but you should be OK on the other side (outside) of the track. Make sure you have plenty to drink. And have some water - not just wine and beer!

We have rouge spots too - well done you for sorting them in advance, we got badly caught out without them in 05 and were only rescued thanks to the kindness of our old mate Fab. There are a lot of cars in rouge by lunchtime, but if you get there in the morning for the Group C race, you'll be fine.

Never, ever heard of renting cots anywhere at Le Mans. Perhaps it's something reserved for the Classic. You can kip down in your sleeping bag in the car or in the grandstands - they empty down to just the most hardy during the night, so you can spread out over a few seats. If you look around, I may even be waving to you from Lagache (white and blue floppy hat, balding, beard and moustache and ever-increasing girth...... ) But, if you're a first-timer at Le Mans, what on earth are you contemplating sleeping for?! Get a couple of early nights in before race day and stay up all night - you won't regret it!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 31 May 2008 at 13:42.
Old 31 May 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2215993)   #10
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When do the parking lots close?
Can you get in if you arrive at friday around 19?
Old 31 May 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2215997)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If yuo've got the required parking ticket on your windscreen, you should be able to get in at any time. But you may have to work hard to find a space..... Friday shouldn't be a problem.