Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 21 Oct 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2317907)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans threads Le Mans sub forum

I was looking at an old thread that dealt only with Le Mans. It occurred to me that I could move it to the Le Mans sub forum. Should we move the older exclusive Le Mans threads, or is it just to evolve from this year?
Old 21 Oct 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2317945)   #2
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I was looking at an old thread that dealt only with Le Mans. It occurred to me that I could move it to the Le Mans sub forum. Should we move the older exclusive Le Mans threads, or is it just to evolve from this year?
I would say move them in order to consolidate.

DK
Old 21 Oct 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2317968)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It is a shame that those threads are moved to obscurity.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2318081)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
.........is an understatement.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2318970)   #5
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should this thread be moved??
Old 23 Oct 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2318981)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In all seriousness I can see a real benefit in consolidating the 24hr specific threads in the subforum - just in terms of logically finding posts where you'd expect to.

Equally building content in there will start to drive a community in the subforum too, which will help it be less sleepy.

I'd also think now that we're into the close season and have dates for next year (time off now booked!) quite a few of us will start actively looking forward to 2009 and spending a bit more time in that part of 10/10ths.

As ever, happy to be shouted down though.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2318991)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Integrating the two forums again means that the last thread on this page would be October 13th... Really, if anything is that important, and worth replying to, it would be by now, and nothing of value is lost.

However, anytime that there is a newer post in the proper section, the Le Mans subsection is an after-thought. I suppose nearer the race it will be more of mind, but it is a pain to go there to see if anything new has been said, a waste of time, and the traffic wasn't enough to make much of a difference in the main forum itself, in my opinion.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2319016)   #8
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With respect to the other race series, essentially Le Mans IS Sportscar racing, just about all the other threads mention the race at some point so it just seems silly to me to shunt some of the threads that are seen as more 'specific' to some annex forum....it wasn't broke so I don't see why it needed fixing.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2319232)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthe82
With respect to the other race series, essentially Le Mans IS Sportscar racing, just about all the other threads mention the race at some point so it just seems silly to me to shunt some of the threads that are seen as more 'specific' to some annex forum....it wasn't broke so I don't see why it needed fixing.
I agree

There are two main Le Mans exclusive threads - the one discussing people going and their arrangements and the one about the race and entries. Surely if these were put as sticky in the top of the main sportscar forum and all other threads were left to run their course the main threads would always be prominent and visible and more specific points could be discussed as and when.

Last edited by Mal; 23 Oct 2008 at 17:08.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2319257)   #10
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After some thought, I must say that I am not fond of subforums. I know the moderators do their best, to keep everything neat here. But it seems that this forum evades me time and time again.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2319261)   #11
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans subforum? What Le Mans subform?
Old 30 Oct 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2324201)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund

Only if you don't go there and read them..... It's as open and accessible as any other sub-forum here.

I actually moved quite a number of Le Mans-specific threads to the sub-forum shortly after it was created.

It just requires that extra bit of discipline. As a Le Mans nut, the Le Mans sub-forum is where I start when I come here. After checking the sub-forum, I then check out the main Sportscar forum.

We've had the debate about 'stickies' over and over again and the perception is that for those who aren't so enthused about the world's greatest motor race, the abundance of stickies for the couple of months around Le Mans annoys/perplexes both of them........

Having the sub-forum wasn't my idea, but I am a great supporter of the facility. I'm pretty convinced it will come into it's own as we get closer to LM09.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Oct 2008 at 14:03.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2324363)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I'm pretty convinced it will come into it's own as we get closer to LM09.

Surely you are correct. Until then, the discussion around LM will be reduced, and the number of views on the current discussion reduced. Certainly this thread and the comments by others on it bears that out. Essentially the LM threads have been marginalized for the majority of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Only if you don't go there and read them..... It's as open and accessible as any other sub-forum here.
The point is, by hiding them away, they aren't read as much, and aren't as accessible. They've been taken out of the main discussion area, and hidden away. If you have a great book, and take it off your coffee table, and put it in the closet... it is still accessible, but your guests aren't likely to go get it.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 30 Oct 2008 at 18:59.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2324374)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I prefer the old situation.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2324407)   #15
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem with having sub-forums is where do you post "team XXX hopes to enter a YYY LMP1 in Sebring, the LMS, Le Mans, Petit Le Mans, Laguna Seca & the Japanese Le Mans races at the end of the year (and their lead driver will be touring car legend Bernd Shnieder)"?
Old 30 Oct 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2324417)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I prefer the old situation.
Me too, but then unfortunately it isnt up to us.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2324459)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're right, it isn't up to you. That is why we are asking everyone about what we can do here.
Old 31 Oct 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2324639)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Like ayse I now look at the sub forum first and then go to the sportscars, as you would expect with 7 months plus to go until the great race there will be less traffic on the sub forum, but that is where my main interest is so thats where I go first. I am happy for it to remain.
Old 31 Oct 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2324721)   #19
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
You're right, it isn't up to you. That is why we are asking everyone about what we can do here.
Well so far, I can only see two people in favour, not counting admin of course. Saying that maybe this thread will get less attention now it's moved to a sub-forum ....
Old 31 Oct 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2324815)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only if you don't bother going there to see what is there.......
Old 1 Nov 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2325249)   #21
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I often tend to forget, that its there. So your hiding is working out for you so far..
Old 1 Nov 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2325289)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks for the assumption that this is a great conspiracy, ignoring the fact that this thread was started in the first place. We don't have time for conspiracies; or for that matter the inclination, we are just Sportscar fans. Perhaps we could consider the effort that the Sportscar mods put into this forum and sub forum (of which I am no longer one); always having to balance all the members wishes and consider the dynanics of the forum. Seasonally it is flooded with LM24; difficult to talk of anything else. Other times it is difficult to find the main LM24 threads which may lie dormant as it is the off season for that part (where was that entry list that hasn't been updated for some time, oh I'll just start a new one...).

Sorry guys, but we welcome your real input. If you are just going to give a cynical this won't make any difference input then don't bother as it won't makee any difference.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2325398)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is my 2nd, and last entry into this thread. Moderators, I understand the reason as to why this sub forum has been introduced. I just personally dont think it is necessary, as is the same with the vast majority of the members here on ten-tenths if this thread is anything to go by. At times I can understand why some may consider this sub forum necessary, during May - July the main sportscar and GT forum does tend to get rather cluttered. During the rest of the season however things are usually pretty quiet, and when the off season arrives well as you can see the main forum itself is almost dead in comparissan. IMO.

Anyway as I said earlier, what I think and other forum members here think doesent really have any relevence with regards as to how ten-tenths is run. Personally though I think that if the admin team here at ten-tenths want to balance the members wishes and the dynamics of the forum they should ask the members what they would like. Perhaps in the form of a poll.

Anyway as I have said this will be my last post within this thread as I have no wish to be accused of trolling, like yourself Adam and everyone else here we are all just sportscar fans.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2325418)   #24
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Anyway as I said earlier, what I think and other forum members here think doesent really have any relevence with regards as to how ten-tenths is run. Personally though I think that if the admin team here at ten-tenths want to balance the members wishes and the dynamics of the forum they should ask the members what they would like. Perhaps in the form of a poll.
Saleen S7R has pretty much expressed my opinion, thank you. I dont want go into this thread anymore. Not because of trolling, but because of the tone.

If you ask for a opinion, then a smart answer like this, is not really amping my want to answer them in the future, being the heavy user of this forum as I am.

Great respect to the sportscar mods, good job.

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 1 Nov 2008 at 16:25.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2325562)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Great respect to the sportscar mods, good job.
Thanks Aslak Vind, I agree they do a good job.

We are not looking for "smart" answers, just your opinions and input. It may take over a year to fully work out how the pros and cons work. What we do ask though is that we have a decent crack at it. All this, "I might be picked on, no one listens to me" nonsense doesn't convey a worthwhile opinion.

I will keep out of this too now*, as I wouldn't want to have to warn myself for trolling.

*in terms of posting (maybe ), but not reading

Last edited by Adam43; 1 Nov 2008 at 21:42.