Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 May 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2467240)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What do you bring in your backpack ?

Just a thought but , what do you folks carry around the track with you .

I got my radio of course , and a bog roll for emergencies !!!

A bottle of water and a small towel , its nice to take your shoes off and get a bit of fresh air and water at the old toes when they have been battered from the terrain around the track , and a change of socks .

I got my ta-go cup , insulated cup that holds about a half litre , and my leatherman pocket knife with pliers , cuz ya never know !!!

Headache & bowel solidifier tablets too , and a light rainjacket for Ayse's favourite topic .

Another small towel , which I can soak in water and drape around the back of my neck , cuz when the weather is nice , I always get a burned neck .

Im just interested in hearing what you guys bring , cuz it may be helpful for newbees and oldies too .
Old 22 May 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2467250)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good topic. Because we're reasonably mobile at the circuit, I don't need to carry as much around with me as others may do but I have

camera bag (plus the obvious - DSLR camera and lenses + video camera and all of the various photographic accoutrements....)

The camera bag and the pockets of my bodywarmer are also home to a number of other things -

sunhat (if not wearing it in the uninterrupted blazing sunshine of Le Mans 2009)
small torch
radio/mp3 player + headphones
various headache pills (paracetamol and ibuprofen + my really serious migraine jobs if all else fails....) and Bisodol tablets
small packet of tissues
sticking plasters (including a couple of blister plasters)
pen
small bottle of water

and spare glasses (thanks for the reminder Elaviel!)

and a Jack-in-a-Pack (if it looks lke rain - no chance) (thanks for the reminder GTfour!)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 23 May 2009 at 08:51.
Old 22 May 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2467255)   #3
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Word of advice. Never put a banana in your rucksack. It doesn't matter how much you like them, if you forget it's there and accidently sit on your bag it's a disaster!

I learned the hard way at Imola a few years ago. I had to shell out another 10 Euros for a new programme and my radio was a write off!!!!
Old 22 May 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2467267)   #4
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hmm lots normally!

water,
passports etc
keys,
suntan lotion
shopping
food(i'm always hungry)
hair brush
sun hat
camera
phone
spare glasses
radio
spare top to coverup when the sun gets too hot
torch
plasters
salvon
nurophen
anything my dad can't be arsed to carry
think thats it lol!
Old 22 May 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2467286)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Hair brush ..... why a hair brush , a toilet brush would surely be more relavant !!!
Old 22 May 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2467288)   #6
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Clearly I'm in a minority here.

I gave up on the radio a couple of years ago. Hearing it is too difficult and there's always someone else in our group that's tuned to RLM. (However I do keep the car radio tuned to RLM so we can keep up to date when driving back to the campsite). In any case I can hear all I need from the manic French commentary on the PA system.

I wear my sun hat rather than carry it; I take a bottle of water with me: I take a copy of the entry list - and that's it.

Travel light I'm already heavy enough!
Old 22 May 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2467292)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sun cream
English bog roll (the Super U stiff is terrible)
Camera
Radio
Autosport guide
Stopwatch
Shades
Air Horn
Old 22 May 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2467293)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I find I'm listening to the radio more than ever now - particularly during the night when I listen to RLM virtually all the time. But get some decent headphones, not those awful little in-ear bud things. I've got some really comfortable neckband headphones and a nice little Creative mp3 player/radio which I've used at Le Mans now for the last 3 years.
Old 22 May 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2467294)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I find I'm listening to the radio more than ever now - particularly during the night when I listen to RLM virtually all the time. But get some decent headphones, not those awful little in-ear bud things. I've got some really comfortable neckband headphones and a nice little Creative mp3 player/radio which I've used at Le Mans now for the last 3 years.
I don't trust anything Creative. They don't get on with gingers,
Old 22 May 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2467300)   #10
undoz
Rookie

Romania
Romania
undoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Vieux : You could buy some In-ear Closed Heaphones that isolate the outer noises. They are as efficient as the earplugs, but you can hear the radio. Here's some info on the subject : http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...-monitor-type/

I higly suggest that you use a radio/mp3 player that runs on normal batteries, not the usb charging type. You wouldn't want to run out of juce in the middle of the race as Dani did
Old 22 May 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2467305)   #11
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by undoz View Post
Le Vieux : You could buy some In-ear Closed Heaphones that isolate the outer noises. They are as efficient as the earplugs, but you can hear the radio. Here's some info on the subject : http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...-monitor-type/

I higly suggest that you use a radio/mp3 player that runs on normal batteries, not the usb charging type. You wouldn't want to run out of juce in the middle of the race as Dani did
Thanks for the information. I never use ear buds (I hate the things!) and have always used a complete headset. I suspect the type used by helicopter pilots is what I need but when the chap standing next to you will tell you all you need to know and the excitable French p/a system fills in the rest I don't feel inclined to spend hundreds on a proper headset.

When insomnia takes over in the middle of the night I creep out of my tent into my car, switch on RLM and recline the seat.
Old 22 May 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2467311)   #12
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
changed the headphones this year .. i've gone from Sennheiser PMX100 to BeyerDynamic DT231Pro
with no power in HA last year I had to improvise .. so I found, much too late in the race, that I can use the french sockets found in the field just behind the gate near HA to charge the radio and even the camera battery

Ciao Marco
Old 22 May 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2467314)   #13
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83 View Post
Word of advice. Never put a banana in your rucksack. It doesn't matter how much you like them, if you forget it's there and accidently sit on your bag it's a disaster!

I learned the hard way at Imola a few years ago. I had to shell out another 10 Euros for a new programme and my radio was a write off!!!!

Reminds me of a good mate of mine who I went snowboarding in the french alps with.
He'd packed two socalled "drinkbreakefast" cartons.These are about 1/3 litre thin yoghurtylike stuff...
I still remember how it seeped threu the bottom of his backpack after he crashed for a few times...

I usually carry a bottle of water,same size bottle with Vodka/orangejuice or Jamaica rum/Coke,the said toilet roll,my video camera,a few powerbars my X5 torch,my Leatherman(I never part from that.) set of raintrousers packed very tightly and the program of the race.
My girl is a redhead and is allways well equiped with sun protectors,so she sprays me from time to time and I allways were a cap when wandering around. Love to collect me a few during the weekend. (the collection is in the 50 to 60 range now..) Lastly,allways a good set of shades.
Old 22 May 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2467326)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post

Reminds me of a good mate of mine who I went snowboarding in the french alps with.
He'd packed two socalled "drinkbreakefast" cartons.These are about 1/3 litre thin yoghurtylike stuff...
I still remember how it seeped threu the bottom of his backpack after he crashed for a few times...

I usually carry a bottle of water,same size bottle with Vodka/orangejuice or Jamaica rum/Coke,the said toilet roll,my video camera,a few powerbars my X5 torch,my Leatherman(I never part from that.) set of raintrousers packed very tightly and the program of the race.
My girl is a redhead and is allways well equiped with sun protectors,so she sprays me from time to time and I allways were a cap when wandering around. Love to collect me a few during the weekend. (the collection is in the 50 to 60 range now..) Lastly,allways a good set of shades.
Incorrect. She is a Ginger head, like myself.
Old 22 May 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2467361)   #15
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by undoz View Post
+1
My mp3 player even ran out during the Spa 1000km...luckily I was able to use my cellphone.
Old 23 May 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2467484)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Don't usually bother with back pack now, wear shorts/toursers with plenty of large pckets, carry money, hay fever tablets, radio, ticket, car keys, fags/lighter, role of wine gums, loo paper in appropriate strips and wear hat. Have daughter to carry water/sun cream/list of runners & riders etc.

Talking about loo paper/rolls you can now get compressed rolls without the cardboard tube they take up a fraction of the space and can be carried around in a pocket, bought a couple at tesco's last weekend 99p.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2468038)   #17
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Hair brush ..... why a hair brush , a toilet brush would surely be more relavant !!!

Well I'm sorry, if i have to take my sunhat off i don't wanna walk around with hat hair!
Old 24 May 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2468043)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

Dont worry about your hair brush this year ..... according to Ayse you wont need to remove your hat , cuz your hair might get burned off cuz of the sunshine mate !!!
Old 24 May 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2468062)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's it exaxctly - sunhats and suntan cream will be the order of the day (week/weekend).
Old 24 May 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2468063)   #20
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm taking a camleback this year, so thats Beer sorted.

I just carry the simple things, Camera, Sun Cream, maybe a bit of food.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2468083)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In all my 25 years or so at Le mans the only thing I have lost was a back pack, not sure what happened just suddenly realised it had gone, I could have put it down and the moved whilst watching the cars or someone else could have pinched it. Luck would have it I had radio on and the unit was in my shirt pocket and therefore only lost a few things, the back pack itself was the most valuable thing I lost.
Old 24 May 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2468240)   #22
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The one thing I no longer bother with is a torch, no need these days.
Old 24 May 2009, 15:20 (Ref:2468287)   #23
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
The torch is for finding things in the bag or trying to get in the tent!

Still need my hairbrush just incase the sun goes in!
Old 24 May 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2468305)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I just keep a small torch in my camera bag in case I need to read the camera's display during the night - I know it has a light, but I like to save the camera battery!
Old 24 May 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2468354)   #25
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We come from the US and carry only a medium size backpack each. Hotel in Paris Thursday & Friday night, stay at circuit Saturday am until Sunday evening, hotel at airport Sunday night. Compression bags work great for small amount of clothing. Put in a light weight umbrella, rain jacket, makeup and related items, RLM ear radios/batteries, 2 iPhones for live timing (just ordered the Morphie juice pack for the 3g phone, hoping for longer battery life), camera, plug adapters to charge items at the hotel, packets of Crystal Light electrolyte drink mix to put in water bottles, little pack of kleenex each, small pkg of baby wipes. It's amazing how little you really need! Oh yes....my Saltire, Ferrari and Audi flags.